Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Helping a friend with his build Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 12 May 2019 20:22:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I have been helping a friend out with his build 'the Delorean'. He had built most of the build himself. I helped him put carpet into the interior some time ago. The last part of the build is the outer parts and they seem to be very plasticy compared to the start. He has asked me if I could repaint the outer parts to give it a little more realism.
Here are some pictures of the build with most of the external parts repainted and weathered.
I have toned down the wheels and outer wiring,and the large exhaust panels on the back have had a total rehaul with some weld seams around them using milliput. All the other parts have had their seams removed and repainted.

He seems quite happy with the results with just a few parts to complete the final build.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 52.jpg
Photo 53.jpg
Photo 54.jpg
Photo 55.jpg
Photo 56.jpg
Photo 57.jpg
Photo 58.jpg
Photo 59.jpg
Photo 60.jpg
Photo 61.jpg
Photo 62.jpg
roymattblack
#2 Posted : 12 May 2019 20:33:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

A great result but for me, the weld lines are just a bit heavy.
Far better than the naff kit bits though.

Roy.
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 12 May 2019 22:59:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Been following one of these builds on youtube.

Its certainly a long build and even longer because i believe they have just extended the series.

Looks very nice what you have done on your friends model.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 13 May 2019 12:51:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thanks, guys, for your comments.

Roy: Quite a few of the more recent parts have looked quite naff with a lot of excess seams. I had given him a sample of what the seams would look like, using a very thin styrene tube, but he asked for them to be thicker, so I used the Milliput instead.

Tony: I have heard they have extended the subscription; however, I think he will stop at the original proposed finish as he is not bothered with the DeLorean on the rails. He wants to stick to the original first film.

Mark
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 13 May 2019 14:29:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have this partwork and the quality of the parts is VERY variable.Some are really nice like the body parts and some are just plain awful like the flux capacitor and the electronics seems a bit dodgy too.There are also issue with screws breaking due to poor tapping,especially in the metal frame.Overall though I am pretty happy.There are tons of aftermarket modifications that correct the shortcomings of the kit.The add on subscription I believe gives you the railroad wheels, the box that sits on the hood and a section of rail so you can make the car the version seen in BTTF 3.Eaglemoss is a bit sneaky since they automatically keep your subscription going unless you opt out.

Carl

Kev the Modeller
#6 Posted : 13 May 2019 20:32:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Lovely work as always Mark, your improvements look great and the weathering is superb, your friend must be very happy with what you've done to his model. Very well done.

There is a Citadel product called 'Liquid Green Stuff', which is very good for making weld seam lines, especially when it is painted between two strips of masking tape and then as it starts to set a simple half round piece of tubing is repeatedly pressed into it in close succession. Remove the tape and paint!

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 13 May 2019 22:34:59

Quote:

There is a Citadel product called 'Liquid Green Stuff', which is very good for making weld seam lines, especially when it is painted between two strips of masking tape and then as it starts to set a simple half round piece of tubing is repeatedly pressed into it in close succession. Remove the tape and paint!

Kev Smile

Thanks Kev

I’ll try that sometime.Cool

Mark