Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Help Needed to Unglue Akagi Ribs that have already been Glued. Options
dbartonjr
#1 Posted : 20 May 2019 13:27:16

Groups: Registered

Suggestions for fixing a very stupid mistake. I made a mistake when I glued rib 20 and 21 in the wrong order with Gorilla Glue. Unfortunately it has cured so steam will not work. I am hoping that I do not have to purchase the first 3 shipments again. All suggestions appreciated. Oh yes this is for the Akagi build.

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 20 May 2019 16:22:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

dbartonjr wrote:
Suggestions for fixing a very stupid mistake. I made a mistake when I glued rib 20 and 21 in the wrong order with Gorilla Glue. Unfortunately it has cured so steam will not work. I am hoping that I do not have to purchase the first 3 shipments again. All suggestions appreciated. Oh yes this is for the Akagi build.

Hi Blink

I have just googled "Gorilla" glue and it seems that its not going to come apart easily, if at all. Unless somebody else knows otherwise?

What you have not told us is, how far you are into the build. (A photo will help)

Depending on where you are with the build, I have a theory that you may be able to make paper templates of the offending ribs and then make new ribs with the relevant size plywood and having cut away the incorrect ribs replace them in the correct position.

This is of course dependant on where you are in the build as previously mentioned and your skill level, as some very accurate work will be required.

When you get round this issue the one tip you need is to use PVA wood glue in the future as this can be steamed apart in case of an error.

Regards
delboy271155
Derek
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#3 Posted : 20 May 2019 16:27:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

As Derek had already said fairly bomb proof this stuff seems to be.

There are some tips here that involve acetone and superglue remover but no guaratees just how well tjis would work.

Best i can find to be honest.

https://www.google.co.uk...en-gb&client=safari

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 20 May 2019 21:21:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

acetone works , but you may need several applications to soften it up.

Carl

dbartonjr
#5 Posted : 23 May 2019 11:37:13

Thanks to everyone's suggestions. I have had a good look at the boat and since no sides have been added I think a bit of sanding will work as well. I dry fitted the deck and everything seems to fit so I may go with that solution unless someone can identify a flaw in this strategy. I will try acetone before I go with this solution. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Dan

Current Builds: Yamato
On the Bench: Akagi, USS Missouri