Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Suitable for a first time builder? Options
iosman
#1 Posted : 23 June 2019 04:41:49

Groups: Registered

I've built many plastic kits over the years, including Modelspace's two McLaren F1 kits- I'm about half way through the MP4-4 at the moment.

I did dabble with Billing boat kits as a youngster but really had no idea what I was doing and never completed them . . .

Now I am very tempted to have a go at a wooden ship model again, and really like the look of the Soleil Royal. I hope that with the clear instructions that De Agostini provide, and internet resources- including this forum of course- that I might actually make a decent job of it.

I am just wondering whether I should try or would this kit be too complicated for my first wooden ship in about 40 years??

All advice welcome!!

Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 23 June 2019 06:54:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi iosman I have built the sol and she is a joy to build and the instructions are very good and easy to follow. The ship with the most comprehensive instructions is the Victory. If you're hart is set on the sol there are lots of helpful people on here to help with any problems Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 23 June 2019 09:58:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

If you did opt for the Victory model as well as all the good info on here that Mattyn has already mentioned you might also like to know that there is a youtube site with a cap on there anout to start the Deagostini Victory.

He says he has always wanted to build a wooden ship but has never done one so maybe this would be of interest/help to you in following along.

The site is "World of Wayne" and he is in Portsmouth this weekend getting some inspiration visiting the real thing.

If you are interested he mentions his up coming build in his thursday live broadcast which is linked below.

Whatever you decide to build i hope it goes well for you and you get pkenty of enjoyment from it.

Tony

https://youtu.be/TzwWJbHDrmw
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 23 June 2019 16:28:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

The benefit of the partworks is the instructions are so much more detailed than if you buy a wooden ship kit.If you have never built a wooden ship before there are dozens of techniques you will need to research-planking, bending wood, rigging etc..... The partworks guide you through these techniques step by step and break up the build into manageable steps so yuo dont get frustrated.I have the SOleil and the instructions are excellent, but as others have said the instructions for the HMS Victory are probably the best set of instructions I have ever seen for a wooden kit.

Carl

PS I am in USA too.Let me know if you need sources for tools etc...

w1xq
#5 Posted : 23 June 2019 19:05:25

I have built many plastic kits and a few wood kits, but the Deg kit is wonderful. Instructions are written very well and is a great learning tool. I recommend the kit. They do take you by the hand and there is always this forum to help you out when stuck.

John
73 de John
W1XQ (ham radio operator)
Amateur Radio Lighthouse Society
Operator aboard Museum Ship USS Stewart and USS Cavalla

Current attempt: Soleil Royal
Prior Builds: Nantucket Lightship, South Goodwin Light vessel, Natchez Packet Paddlewheeler, Souhern Belle Paddlewheel Towboat
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 23 June 2019 19:21:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

These kits are absolutely designed for 'first time builders'.

Bear in mind, any magazine part-work is created especially for those who may have no model making expertise, so don't worry.
They are NOT created just for modellers.
You really will enjoy the journey.
-And remember, there is a HUGE forum of knowledge here to help you if you get stuck anywhere.
Just ask...

Roy.
Gandale
#7 Posted : 23 June 2019 22:59:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

The Soleil Royal is a beautiful kit to put together. If you haven't built these kind of models before then you should follow the instructions very closely in conjunction with the Official Build. The Official Build will take you through each build stage step by step and point out any areas of the build stage you need to pay close attention too.

Here is a link to the completed Official Build diary..

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=topics&f=414

Take your time, study the instructions carefully and I'm sure you'll end up with a build to be proud of....Cool Cool. Publishing a build diary would also help us to keep an eye on your progress and to highlight potential issues before they become a major problem further down the line..... If you need assistance then simply ask, there are a lot of experienced modellers here ready and willing to help when needed....

Regards

Alan
iosman
#8 Posted : 24 October 2019 14:48:23

thanks my issue has been fixed ..