Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages «<891011>
MWG BUILD DIARY OF HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT Options
MWG
#181 Posted : 28 June 2012 20:36:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

FORMING THE RUBBING STRAKES

While the wood is still wet I bent them (using mini clamps) around the hull and left them to dry thouroghly ( at least 24 hours ):-
MWG attached the following image(s):
MWG BUILD DIARY OF HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT 027.jpg
MWG BUILD DIARY OF HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT 028.jpg
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

MWG
#182 Posted : 28 June 2012 20:38:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

FORMING THE RUBBING STRAKES

You can now see the shape firmly set in the wood, ready to fit.

as you can see I take my time to achieve the build I want, it is not a race.

Questions and comments welcome BigGrin thats all this time Regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARY OF HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT.jpg
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

Monty's Double
#183 Posted : 28 June 2012 23:12:47

Groups:

Hello Mike,

I must say you are doing a great job with this Longboat, very neat and tidy and I love what you are doing with it! I have been watching your progress for a while now and I think your use of inks instead of paints is a winning method. It looks so much better and much more 'in scale'? Top build Mike, a craftsman at work, well done!

All the best,

Bernie.
harty
#184 Posted : 28 June 2012 23:19:55

Groups:

Hi Mike, I agree with Monty there on this ink decor. It looks so much neater than paint and i think it would compliment something like danish oil or the like. Top jobLove BigGrin
MWG
#185 Posted : 29 June 2012 10:27:14

Monty's Double wrote:
Hello Mike,

I must say you are doing a great job with this Longboat, very neat and tidy and I love what you are doing with it! I have been watching your progress for a while now and I think your use of inks instead of paints is a winning method. It looks so much better and much more 'in scale'? Top build Mike, a craftsman at work, well done!

All the best,

Bernie.

Hi Bernie thank you for the compliment, the use of inks is not a new thing but it is for me, and as you say the covering is more to scale than paint, I will keep experimenting, the colour range is vast and you get more for your money plus more coverage per bottleBigGrin Regards Mike

MWG
#186 Posted : 29 June 2012 10:29:39

harty wrote:
Hi Mike, I agree with Monty there on this ink decor. It looks so much neater than paint and i think it would compliment something like danish oil or the like. Top jobLove BigGrin

Hi Harty, I agree with you on the danish oil, I am going to use that on the mahogany part of the build, testing an offcut firstBigGrin Regards Mike

Sietsemk
#187 Posted : 30 June 2012 12:04:32

Hi Mike.

She is looking stunning.ThumpUp
One question, How do you keep up with all your build’s???BigGrin
Built
Albatross, build in 1982 from plans.
Hms Bounty, build in 1987 from plans.
Duyfken,build in 1991 from plans
Oosterland, build in 1998 from plans

In the meantime.
HMS Victory (Deagostini)
2011 Building MFV63 fishing trawler from plans.
HMS Mayflower (Kit)

Wish list
Still planning.
MWG
#188 Posted : 30 June 2012 15:11:22

Sietsemk wrote:
Hi Mike.

She is looking stunning.ThumpUp
One question, How do you keep up with all your build’s???BigGrin

Thank you for the nice comment, I just do a little bit at a time, when the mood takes meBigGrin Regards Mike

MWG
#189 Posted : 13 July 2012 22:44:17

FORMING THE GUNWALES AND RUBBING STRAKES

Hi Team as you know I have been experimenting with different colours of ink, which I am now using instead of paint, it gives a better scale coverage. In the photo you will see the ink as orange on the Longboat.

I have also been experimenting with good quality felt tip markers and I am very impressed with the permanent twin tip PROMARKER by Letraset the colour I have used is umber.

Please see the result on the Gunwales and I have added a bit on the end of the Rubbing strakes which are apple wood this product really brings out the grain, see what you think:-
ENDEAVOUR 425.jpg
ENDEAVOUR 424.jpg

MWG
#190 Posted : 13 July 2012 22:47:47

This is how she looks the Gunwales are dry fitted.

Thats all fo now questions and comments welcomeBigGrin Kind regards Mike
MWG BUILD DIARY OF HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT 029.jpg

Ger C
#191 Posted : 14 July 2012 01:42:26

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

excellent work MikeDrool
arpurchase
#192 Posted : 14 July 2012 09:53:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nice work Mike, i too have used those inks in the past they give a very nice opaque finish as you say that shows the grain off well.My only concern with the pens your using is the fade over time if alowed to sit in bright light but i might be wrong there
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

MWG
#193 Posted : 14 July 2012 11:45:14

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Very nice work Mike, i too have used those inks in the past they give a very nice opaque finish as you say that shows the grain off well.My only concern with the pens your using is the fade over time if alowed to sit in bright light but i might be wrong there
regards
AndyCool

Hi Andy thank you for your comments, you are right about the fadeing, you must fix the surface after with a satin water based varnish.

Your builds are looking great

Kind regards Mike

philjaps1
#194 Posted : 14 July 2012 19:33:39

Groups:

Really nice build Mike,

interesting idea about using inks instead of paint, might have a play around with it my self BigGrin

Phil,
z8000783
#195 Posted : 15 July 2012 12:16:47

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

budgie wrote:
BigGrin

Is there such a thing as being TOO GOOD

In a word, absolutely NOT.

John
Hans
#196 Posted : 15 July 2012 18:42:10

Great build there Mike and some really good tips. Thank you.
Rgds, Hans
"It's okay to make mistakes. mistakes are our teachers - they help us to to learn, even if it is painfully"
Current Build:
Endeavour Cross section,D51
Completed: HMS Victory
Under the bench: Endeavour x 2,Sovereign of the Seas, Akagi and The Black Pearl!HMS Victory Cross Section
MWG
#197 Posted : 15 July 2012 18:49:22

Ger C wrote:
excellent work MikeDrool

Hi Ger sorry I missed your post, Thank you for the nice commentBigGrin Regards Mike

MWG
#198 Posted : 15 July 2012 18:51:35

Hans wrote:
Great build there Mike and some really good tips. Thank you.

Hi Hans thanks for the encouragementBigGrin Regards Mike

MWG
#199 Posted : 15 July 2012 19:05:42

z8000783 wrote:
budgie wrote:
BigGrin

Is there such a thing as being TOO GOOD

In a word, absolutely NOT.

John

Hi John, Thank you.

Hi Budgie thank you for your comments,BigGrin I know you did not mean anything wrong, I appreciate you voicing your opinion. believe me my builds are not with out the odd blemish here and there,Blink and I agree with you it adds a little character to the ship.

With the inks I am useing you can see the join of the planks, and the grain of the wood you can not see it very clearly on the photos.

Don`t forget I am just an amature like you, I also make mistakes, I just expect high standards from myself thanks for the input BudgieLove Kind Regards Mike

MWG
#200 Posted : 16 July 2012 14:31:24

philjaps1 wrote:
Really nice build Mike,

interesting idea about using inks instead of paint, might have a play around with it my self BigGrin

Phil,

Hi Phil thank you for your inputBigGrin Regards Mike