Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Suitable for a first time builder? Options
iosman
#1 Posted : 12 July 2019 06:31:21

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I've built many plastic kits over the years, including Modelspace's two McLaren F1 kits- I'm about half way through the MP4-4 at the moment.

I did dabble with Billing boat kits as a youngster but really had no idea what I was doing and never completed them.

Now I am very tempted to have a go at a wooden ship model again, and really like the look of the Soleil Royal. I hope that with the clear instructions that De Agostini provide, and internet resources- including this forum of course- that I might actually make a decent job of it.

I am just wondering whether I should try or would this kit be too complicated for my first wooden ship in about 40 years??

thanks
iosman
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 12 July 2019 07:27:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi iosman the sol is a lovely ship to build and I think it's one for the beginner starting into the art of wooden ship building. The good thing with her is you don't have to mark out and cut the gunports as these are all ready cut . Also the instructions are very good and easy to follow plus there is the official build that you can look at and if you are not sure of anything there are always people on the forum ready to help.
Looking forward to seeing your progress
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#3 Posted : 12 July 2019 08:31:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

The SOL is a beautiful ship and see no reason why you cannot achieve a build you can be proud of. I would give serious consideration to you publishing a build diary of your build on the forum. This gives the more experienced modellers on the forum the opportunity to follow your progress and help resolve any issues you may have during your journey. There is lots of help and advice here on the forum should you need it....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
mwstratton
#4 Posted : 12 July 2019 14:29:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

iosman wrote:
Hello,

I've built many plastic kits over the years, including Modelspace's two McLaren F1 kits- I'm about half way through the MP4-4 at the moment.

I did dabble with Billing boat kits as a youngster but really had no idea what I was doing and never completed them.

Now I am very tempted to have a go at a wooden ship model again, and really like the look of the Soleil Royal. I hope that with the clear instructions that De Agostini provide, and internet resources- including this forum of course- that I might actually make a decent job of it.

I am just wondering whether I should try or would this kit be too complicated for my first wooden ship in about 40 years??

thanks
iosman

I am in about the same place as you. I had attempted wooden ship models many years ago. I am just finishing Issue 7 of the Soleil Royal and have found it a straight forward kit and a joy to build.

I say pull the trigger, you won't regret it

Mark
Currently: Soliel Royal, Deag DC-3, DeAg Ford Shelby Mustang GT 500

Prior builds: Mayflower, USS Constitution, Academy 1/800 USS Kitty Hawk, Revell's 1/48 A 10 Warthog

Under the Bench:

On Hold: Revell's 1/48 P 61 Black Widow; AL L'Hermione La Fayette
sunmintz
#5 Posted : 05 January 2021 03:18:43

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

it got me too