Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Stuff from the Mancave Options
jase
#1 Posted : 19 July 2019 20:35:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello everyone, it has been some time since I have posted in earnest on this or any other Forum, being honest i had lost my mojo for posting and then my eldest daughter who is just 13 suddenly started struggling with the pressure of life began self harming and was generally not in a good place. I am pleased that she is now moving in the right direction, it also gave me a chance to take stock of a few things in life one of them being my hobby.

despite not really posting i have done some kit bashing, SMS Sydlitz, Airfix S boat, Tamiya mini cooper, Revell Arado all built this year. I have taken stock of my stash moved some stuff on brought some new stuff in. Reorganised my attic space where i do my building.

But I do miss sharing what I do, my problem has been finding time to do both, build models and write posts about them, or do videos etc. i flirted with my own website my daughter wanted me to do more on YouTube (apparently her friends follow me lol). So after a lot of thought I have decided I dont want to post serous in depth build diary’s anymore but I do want to share the finished product and have the opportunity to get feedback and thoughts from fellow builders as I go.

So my though is i will post everything I do in this one thred. Everything will be ship related thats mostly what I build and when its finished i will post it n finished gallery’s but i tend to work on something for a while then take a break somtimes for years before I come back. So this will alow me once a week to talk about what I am up to. And get peoples thoughts and ideas.

I hope people will find it interesting

First proper post this weekendBigGrin

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Kev the Modeller
#2 Posted : 19 July 2019 20:51:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Sounds a good idea Jase and perfectly feasible. I must admit, that I've had similar ideas in the past as it does take up a lot of time to do a build diary properly, but having a single thread where you just chat about what you've been up to, with a few photos chucked in for good measure could be a good way to stay in touch for both you and other members and at least you will be contributing to the forum, which is always appreciated. Cool ThumpUp

It'll be nice to have you back on the forum Jase, very sorry to hear about your troubles, both yours and your daughters' - I wish you both well and a brighter future too.

I'll look forward to seeing what you've been up to in your mancave! ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Gandale
#3 Posted : 19 July 2019 22:52:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Sorry to hear of the problems you've been experiencing Jase, hope everything is now back on the straight and narrow for you and all your family.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#4 Posted : 20 July 2019 06:48:10

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Sounds a good idea Jase and perfectly feasible. I must admit, that I've had similar ideas in the past as it does take up a lot of time to do a build diary properly, but having a single thread where you just chat about what you've been up to, with a few photos chucked in for good measure could be a good way to stay in touch for both you and other members and at least you will be contributing to the forum, which is always appreciated. Cool ThumpUp

It'll be nice to have you back on the forum Jase, very sorry to hear about your troubles, both yours and your daughters' - I wish you both well and a brighter future too.

I'll look forward to seeing what you've been up to in your mancave! ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Many thanks Kev, just managed to work out how to post pics from Fliker so I am all setBigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#5 Posted : 20 July 2019 06:50:00

Gandale wrote:
Sorry to hear of the problems you've been experiencing Jase, hope everything is now back on the straight and narrow for you and all your family.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan, no fun being a teenager in the 21st Century but she is definitely in a much better place

Jase
-Mark Twain
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 20 July 2019 14:34:17

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice to see you back again Jase. Also glad to hear thing are better with your daughter, I’m sure she gets all the support from her family.

Mark
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 20 July 2019 14:53:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Jase, BigGrin

We`ve all been teenagers at some point and thought the whole world was against us and a percentage of us have had to deal with a teenager going through the same.

What has to be taken into account is that those pressures have increased over the generations and maybe our understanding hasn`t moved on as fast.

I`m very happy to hear that things are improving and look forward to your build updates whatever they are about.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

jase
#8 Posted : 20 July 2019 16:12:15

Thank you all,

As I said I have moved the stash about about couple of pics of the main part of the stash I do have a bit more some resin kits and some part works behind the curtain but recently added stuff is in the two pics below.

My current wooden build is the Royal Yacht Caroline which I have just completed the first planking on. lots of bling on this and unusual windows which attracted me to the kit.

last week I took delivery of a full set of the new AK weathering pencil, I think Andy sahred them on the forum? Anyhow I am itching to try them out, so have just broken into the Revell 1:144 scale Flower class Corvette. Its far better than the 1:72 scale offering in terms of detail, being a 2016 new tool release and I have Eduard etch, and La Arsenal resin to enrich the look. these ships goat a real battering and there is lots of weathered opportunities for this.

I have primed the hull in Tamiya fine white rattle can. the main hull colour is an off white so I thought a light primer would help.

Jase
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#9 Posted : 20 July 2019 23:04:32

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Good to see you back up and posting again Jase, nice stash you haver there too.....Cool Cool .. Will be following....

Regards

Alan
jase
#10 Posted : 21 July 2019 22:21:32

Spent a little time with the Roal Caroline today, second planking underway. I have seen a number of reviews where the second planking wood has been criticised. it should be oak, as far as I am concerned it looks ok. The good thing about oak is it darkens over age so you have wide spectrum of colour to play with.

I started with the transom, following anatomy of the ship not the kit plans to give the herring bone effect. Much of the stern is painted but the haring bone section will be natural wood, so I want to add the nils to this

I have then progressed down one side. the section between the waterline and the bottom of the gun ports will also be left as natural wood. So I am cutting this planks to length and adding corking with a pencil. everything else down the hull gets painted so I won't bother so much with correctly planking the lower hull. I have cut out the windows and gun ports as I go.

Pretty happy so far. BigGrin

Jase
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#11 Posted : 21 July 2019 22:43:00

BigGrin All looking good and nice work.

The AK set is very good`you can use them as pencils to apply and rubbing with a finger or thumb spreads them nicely or you can use a brush like you would with water colour pencils to apply the chosen pigmentCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

experten
#12 Posted : 22 July 2019 05:23:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

Jase,

Is your Royal Caroline the ZHL kit? It is looking gooooood!
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
Garth
#13 Posted : 22 July 2019 08:30:00

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Jase,
Glad to see you back. I like your idea of just one thread - I've always enjoyed your updates.
Good luck with your personal issues.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
jase
#14 Posted : 22 July 2019 22:27:08

experten wrote:
Jase,

Is your Royal Caroline the ZHL kit? It is looking gooooood!

Hi No its the old Penart kit, it has some faults but nothing that cannot be worked out as we go BigGrin

Jase
-Mark Twain
jase
#15 Posted : 22 July 2019 22:28:12

Garth wrote:
Hi Jase,
Glad to see you back. I like your idea of just one thread - I've always enjoyed your updates.
Good luck with your personal issues.
Kind regards,
Garth

Hi Garth many thanks for looking in and the kind words Cool

J
-Mark Twain
roymattblack
#16 Posted : 22 July 2019 22:32:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

There's nothing like a Man cave.
Its one of those things that 'mostly' comes with time.
Don't knock it.
Us 'Man cave' habitats just love it.Love
jase
#17 Posted : 23 July 2019 06:41:14

roymattblack wrote:
There's nothing like a Man cave.
Its one of those things that 'mostly' comes with time.
Don't knock it.
Us 'Man cave' habitats just love it.Love

My teo daughters named it that, l called it an attic Laugh
-Mark Twain
Sticky Wickett
#18 Posted : 25 July 2019 21:51:19

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Jase, nice to see you back. I always enjoy looking at your models, your modelling skills and posts. I hope your personal family stuff gets sorted for the better.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
jase
#19 Posted : 25 July 2019 22:52:25

Sticky Wickett wrote:
Hi Jase, nice to see you back. I always enjoy looking at your models, your modelling skills and posts. I hope your personal family stuff gets sorted for the better.

Regards,
Phil W.

Thanks Phil

Jase
-Mark Twain
jase
#20 Posted : 25 July 2019 23:53:22

I have to say it is pretty hot in the man cave this week. wondering why I have not got around to the skylight Crying

anyhow I have a few days coming the Debyshire hills next week so need to maximise my time in the attic this week which brings me to my Airbrush fiascoHuh

Having primed the Snowbery Hull I was ready for the first coat of paint. I am using the Life Colour western approaches paint set which gives me the main colours for this build. By the way I a getting exceptional results from life colour on my ship builds. So went with putting down the RN White first which is a sort of off white cream colour. ship is in front of me compressor up to pressure couple of test blasts with an empty cup, all good, so I decanted some paint int the cup of my Iwata eclipse and a little water to thin it and off we go - oh no we don't nothing coming outConfused ah needle not moving so tighten up the screw that lasts the needle, nothing Cursing right then quickly decant the pain cup into my Badger Patriot which is also connected to the compressor ready to go, start spraying Yay we have atomised paint... hang on why is the trigger suddenly slack, the spring action has failed and I can only spray in a wider broadcast than I wanted.

so an hour later after stripping and cleaning the brushes I started again, white paint base coat done BigGrin LOL LOL

I chose to hand paint the decks, again with life colour. it takes 3 to four coats when brushing but I can hand paint the Semtex green walkways quicker by hand than masking and touching up. I also adde the wood laminate deck which is very fine. I have largely gone off the use of laminate wood deck because they are seldom accurate and the depth hides the fine detail leaving some of it in relief and that nags at me. anyhow in this case it looks really good.

whilst that lot is drying I cracked open the Big Ed set, first items up are a replacement door and rain away for the rear superstructure bulkhead. the kit part needed the door removing and the moulded on rain away above the scuttle. there was also some mild sink to fill.

Thats it for now praying for a temp drop Cool
-Mark Twain