Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
Stuff from the Mancave Options
jase
#21 Posted : 29 July 2019 07:40:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Monday has arrived and I am hoping for a less soggy day than yesterday in the Darbyshire hills.

Anyhow away from the man cave does not keep my hobby at bay, last night I managed to secure a 1:200 scale USS Arizona on Ebay at around 25% off normal price BigGrin Drool I then immediately purchased the last Big Ed set from Eduard. while the missus sleeps this morning I will have a look around the web for research materials.

This will only be the second US ship I have ever built, the other being the Olympia, there is a build diary on the forum somewhere. interested in building this as she is quite a pretty ship from my preferred period with a story.

if anybody is aware of any good books or films on the subject do let me know Cool

Before we made our way to Eaym yesterday I did manage to get some building time, with the cruel sea on in the background BigGrin

Masked up the hull ready for the camouflage

Again using life colour I have airbrushed using three coats, pleased to say no airbrush drama this time Laugh

TIP - now the keen eyed amount you will have noticed the spice jars in the background, these ar not foreign objectsHuh I use these to put rigging thread spools in. the little holes in the top are great at stoping the thread tanglingBigGrin

While all that paint is drying I carried on with the etch work. The moulded fire hoses were removed then the etch cradles added in their place. The fire hoses were made up but put to one side for later.

I also did some work on the gun tub. quite a bit of the kit part is removed, striping it down to base only. the etch being a lot thinner gives a very to scale look once in place.

Thats it foe now, I won't get an opportunity to be in the man cave for a few daysCrying

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Markwarren
#22 Posted : 29 July 2019 08:07:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is coming along very nicely Jase. Love

Mark
Gandale
#23 Posted : 29 July 2019 22:23:58

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Jase, very nice work...Cool Cool .. Great idea with the spice jars too, thanks for sharing that one....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#24 Posted : 01 August 2019 06:38:57

Thanks bothBigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#25 Posted : 01 August 2019 22:24:27

My 1:200 USS Arizona arrived today, not as big as my Bismarck in that scale but twice the size of Makasa.

Its interesting to look over the model and see what you get. Unusualy for a trumpeter kit there is two options for paint finish. essential red turret tops or not. I dont like Trumpeter paint charts, not enough detail, I prefer to be directed to the colour through the instructions but hey.

A quick flick through the box and there is a large decal sheet that has lots of signal flags, unfortunately there is no rigging plan provided and no indication of where these should be added Cursing. there are 4 sprue of good looking figures. not come across these in ship kit before, but they look great, I think you can purchase them separately so may be able to add to them too.

Other than that for the most part its just a scaled up version of the 1:350 scale offering. The number of sprue are about the same the amount of etch about the same. At this scale the expectation is that a greater level of detail is achieved and in some areas you can see that, the ships boats and the primary range finders certainly amongst them but in other areas like the primary weapon turrets they are still very simple. the funnel still has a moulded on vertical ladder for example and one of the superstructure rooms has windows that need drilling out.
The hull has a waterline option which is nice but there is going to be a couple of big joints in the deck I fear.

anyhow as straight from box build at this scale it docent cut the mustard for me, dont get me wrong its a loverly kit in many ways but it does need an update set. there are several sets about I have gone with a Big Ed set as you get a good level of upgrade at a reasonable price compared to some. but your still adding £70 on top of the £190 kit price. you can easily add £80 for a wood deck set and £20 for secondary bras gun barrels (main guns in the kit are turned aluminium) plus ring thread and paint your easily at around £400

I won't be spending that. other than the etch set I may buy deck masks but nothing more. I have seriously gone off wood decks, even the best ones. it just looks wrong when the deck furniture is lower than the deck and the lasered detail is often incorrect or over scale or both. so I plan to paint the deck planks individually instead.

I will post some picks tomorrow

Jase

-Mark Twain
darbyvet
#26 Posted : 01 August 2019 23:50:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I built this ship.My biggest beef was the insane number of parts.I did use a wooden deck and a photoetched set.Painting was "fun" It didnt fit in my spray booth and I think I used 12 bottles of Vallejo blue paint in total and 4 bottles of red for the hull

Carl

jase
#27 Posted : 03 August 2019 07:34:37

[quote=darbyvet]I built this ship.My biggest beef was the insane number of parts.I did use a wooden deck and a photoetched set.Painting was "fun" It didnt fit in my spray booth and I think I used 12 bottles of Vallejo blue paint in total and 4 bottles of red for the hull

Carl

Hi carl I dont think it has as many parts as Bismarck but certainly a good number Cool

I will bare in mind the volume of paint you used, I went through the paint list today and other than the deck I don't have any of them so that's the last bits I need to order to complete the build set.

got a couple of things to finish first then this may well get to the build deskBigGrin

J
-Mark Twain
jase
#28 Posted : 03 August 2019 07:42:30

cracking on with Snowberry the hull is now finished as far as base painting is concerned.

The decals are from the kit and presented no problem.

I have also shaded the lower hull and added salt streaking. I will add the rust to the upper hull at the same time I do the sub assemblies.

Jase
-Mark Twain