Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Scale 1/87 - Red Army 1945 Germany, "Hitler kaputt" Options
Christian M.
#1 Posted : 23 July 2019 09:03:09

Groups: Registered

Hello together,

I would like to introduce my current diorama project here with a few posts, which I have been working on for about 4 weeks and which will take several more months.

The scale is 1/87 (= H0), which is the most widely used scale in Europe for model trains. Therefore, the general supply through the accessory market such as houses and landscaping is very good.
A few years ago the military vehicles looked extremely good, but somehow this is a slump in the offer ... that is, there was a lot more to buy. The reasons are not very clear, but one point is that a major manufacturer - Trident - quit the operation because the owner is now over 70 years old and can not find a successor who takes over / buys the company.
For my project here, there is still everything I need.

The diorama has the dimensions 78 cm x 38 cm.

Decisive for the project is a now about 40 years old Top 1/87 Diorama which I admired as a child (I'm age 48) in my local model business.

Here are 3 pictures of this old diorama in the shop made with the smart phone for better understanding what I take as a role model... Unfortunately, it is a bit damaged by the age as you can see on the photos. Note ... this is NOT my diorama ...

In short: I will do that too ... but just Russians instead of Germans. Funny is ... 3 of the 4 houses / ruins above I use too for my project. BigGrin

In total there are about 100 - 150 self-painted figures on it and on vehicles are planned:

- 3 x JS-2 tanks
- 1 x Willys jeep
- 1 x Dodge 3/4 ton Command Car
- 1 x Zis-5 truck with flatbed
- 1 x Zis-5 truck with box body
- 2 x Studebaker truck with towed 122 mm howitzer
- 1 x downed Panther G tank

But that can change maybe a little bit in the course of the project, because often arise in such a project ... let's say ... "new views" ;-)

The houses are from the company "Faller" ... but are actually from the company "Pola", which went bankrupt many years ago and where Faller had bought the molds.
In addition, of course, a "pile" of other accessories from many manufacturers will be bought and used, or even I make some things scratch.
These 2 words open all doors in your life:

Press and drag!
tigerace
#2 Posted : 23 July 2019 09:56:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

WowBigGrin outstanding work BigGrin looks so realisticDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Christian M.
#3 Posted : 23 July 2019 10:16:41

The basis is a 9 mm wooden plate, to which I stuck Styrodur boards. The area of sidewalks and where the 3 houses come is about 1-2 mm thicker.

Sorry for the dark photo, I had done quickly in the morning.

In the railway accessories market, there are of course also ready to buy streets and sidewalks in various forms, but why buy, if you can do it yourself?

The cobblestones of the street, as well as the pavement slabs of the sidewalk can be with the so-called "stamp method".
When cobblestone I took an old, matching from the size flat brush and then burned away the brush hairs. What remains is then the sheet metal surround and you can then bend with the pliers then to the seize and shape as wanted.

With this method, the entire street is then made, row by row. Of course this is expensive, but since when does time play a role in model making? ;-)
Cobblestone streets are all old and over time, parts of the street lower, sometimes completely apart from damage. That's why I used a bullet in many places in the Syrodur before I made the cobblestones over it. That will be much more realistic.
On the sides the stones run differently in 2 rows, the rainwater trickle.

For the sidewalk slabs, I have taken another stamp. After a long search I found in our kitchen a small plastic container where toothpicks were in it and fits perfectly as a stamp.
The sidewalk I have where the buildings come hion, made about 2 rows wider than necessary. This saves me then unsightly gaps that need to be modeled after.

Press and drag!
Christian M.
#4 Posted : 23 July 2019 10:19:14

tigerace wrote:
WowBigGrin outstanding work BigGrin looks so realisticDrool Drool regards PhilCool

Thanks BigGrin

As told ... this is not my diorama, it is the one which I take as reference for my project. And this diorama is 40 years old... with stuff on it from Roco Minitanks and other manufactures which is not available anymore.

Press and drag!
Christian M.
#5 Posted : 23 July 2019 10:59:37

Next comes the painting.

Basically, I only use Revell Aqua Colors, Oil Artist Paint and a few other colors like Enamel from Humbrol or Revell.
I am in this regard of the "old school" in terms of painting methods and very rarely use these ready-mixed colors and stuff for weathering the models etc. that are numerous in accessories offered by several amucactures.

First, I painted it with a simple medium gray with the airbrush. Thereafter, the aging took place. I bought emir from the company Mig tentatively a ready mix for the aging of vehicles, which does not convince me ... here for the diorama base but perfect and was therefore used. I painted some of the sidewalks with slightly different shades of gray.

It is far from being ready, but here in the further painting and aging / wethering I have to stop first, because from now on it must be coordinated with other things that still have to be made, for example, rubble and debris etc.

Press and drag!
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 23 July 2019 11:34:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some very neat work you have done in putting this one together.

It all looks really good.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 23 July 2019 11:37:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Some very nice work, looks excellent.BigGrin

Mark
Christian M.
#8 Posted : 23 July 2019 11:48:03

The accessories market in the model railway at houses has for a very long time shared 4 large companies and a few small ones in Germany and in a few parts of Europe ... Faller, Kibri, Vollmer and Pola.
This has changed a lot in the meantime ... Pola went bankrupt and was bought by Faller, Kibri and Vollmer were bought by an initially small, more specialized in technical accessories manufacturer - Auhagen - and are now under one roof.
In short, the market has been quite mixed up in recent years ... including many new companies ... and of course these companies also make other things in model making, or are for Germany and some European countries the general importer .... Faller is also the importer and distributor for the brands Meng, Hobby Boss, Hasegawa, Merit and others.

The 3 houses I used are originally from the company Pola and are sold by Faller as a set "Germany 1950's". They were used together with a fourth house also on the old diorama, which serves as a suggestion and I have gezenzigt in the first post.

The assembly took place first "out of the box", so nothing special. However, the houses are far from finished, because even if they are already well done, the aging and detailing is done now.
For a better idea and impression here once the houses simply put loose on the diorama, where they will be placed later.

The house in the middle I had u at this time still no roof on it, because I had to install a damage here.

As I said, they are are built "out of the box" status as seen above ... now it goes to the detailing and aging.

Press and drag!
Christian M.
#9 Posted : 23 July 2019 12:08:36

It starts with the middle house, where I first made the slightly damaged roof ...

The aging takes place mainly with "Artist oil paint", as a thinner I use lighter gasoline for Zippos instead of the usual turpentine oil ... dries faster and is easier to work ;-)
In addition, of course, various Revell Aqua colors and homemade color mixtures.

And here for comparison right next to it, the neighboring house without aging work ...

Press and drag!
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 23 July 2019 12:26:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I love a good dio Drool Drool

This has the makings of an excellent dio. Love Cool Love

Keep up the good work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Christian M.
#11 Posted : 23 July 2019 12:58:59

And now to the right house ...

Here I would like to show in detail the painting and aging of a brick wall. Only so that the dimensions are clear. A brick here is about 2mm x 1mm in size ...

This is how it looks after assembly ... not bad and partly pre-aged / printed, but the brick wall is an ugly dark red part ...

First, the wall is painted entirely with Revell Aqua paint, here a mixture of brick red, which was revived with some beige. Afterwards, some bricks are painted with slightly different colors.
If you look at such an old original brick wall, then you will see that there are always some bricks lighter and darker than the rest, in different shades.
It is recommended here to limit to 4-5 shades, otherwise it will be too colorful. The painting of the individual bricks does not have to be 100% accurate, 95% is sufficient ... ;-) ... because with the next step this will be corrected again.

Now comes the washing with "Artist Oil Paint" ... diluted with lighter gasoline for Zippos. Here are several washings with black and gray ... Gray is simply black with a little white and should represent the mortar of the joints.

The preliminary final result is then this:

Here the back / back wall with the intermediate result and the final result underneath. As you can see, the door made directly too and also the roof of the extension building behind.

The transition from the base plate of the house model to the diorama will be later of course "smooth" ...

The rest of the house has of course been edited ... here then the state afterwards. Also, I have ever set the street lights (the white at the bottom of the lights is still wet glue).

The company signs on the houses (car repair shop on the right and and plumbing on the left) are only placeholders and basis for the later following correct signs ...

Here on the roof I have a little bit to re-work ... not fully pleasing me as result...

Press and drag!
Christian M.
#12 Posted : 23 July 2019 14:31:13

Both houses are not completely finished yet ... in a diorama it is always the case that you have to stop at some point, because it has to be adapted to other parts and areas of the diorama in all respects. And these other parts of a diorama have to be on the same level for that as well.

Next comes the most elaborate building ... the semi-detached house ruin, most likely a victim of a RAF or USAAF bomb raid. Glare

This is the house after normal assembly "out of the box" so far ...

That may be enough for a normal model railroader, who cares more about driving the trains, etc. ...
Of course, that's by far not enough for me and there's a lot to do ... BigGrin

Where should I start...?
If you look at the gable wall in Figure 2 above, it actually shows the inside wall of the collapsed house, but looks like an outside wall.
If you look at images of ruins ... whether from a war or demolition work of today, then completely missing here are remnants of the inner walls of the rooms. Then there are always remains of the plaster still present, sometimes with remnants of wallpaper still on it. Also details and remains of the double T steel beams of the floors and many more issues ... In short: much to do!

The interior plaster I took with simple putty Revell and plastered the brick walls, etc. according partially. But here are also recesses for the floors of the floors and the inner walls in it and to see what makes the work easier. The inner walls I have partially made with putty and also with small strips of Styrodur.

Then it was sanded fairly smooth with sandpaper and some areas painted light blue, others white or light gray.
Afterwards, Evergreen cut plastic profiles for the double T steel girders and also installed them. Last but not least heaps of debris and scrap ... partially included in the house kit .... and heavily aged. First of all, I have been intensively concerned with the almost completely collapsed half of the house and the current result is this:

So far the current status of my project as it is right now. BigGrin

In the moment I make a little brak at the ruined house and will start with the JS-2 tank model. It is a kit of about 30 parts + some PE parts ... so a building log wil not be done, but for the painting and agig etc. I will do.

This is the kit I bought ... for the first only 1 kit and not odrectly all 3 needed for checking out if the kit ok or only crap ... but kit is OK Glare

Press and drag!
Gandale
#13 Posted : 23 July 2019 15:02:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you have a really good eye for detail, very nice work being shown....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Christian M.
#14 Posted : 23 July 2019 15:11:13

Thank you ... and all others who answered here also a thank you BigGrin

It costs some time to post all to the current status as it is right now at this project... Glare

Press and drag!
darbyvet
#15 Posted : 23 July 2019 15:16:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Superb work so far Christian.I will be following this build with interest.Your weathering and damage work on the buildings is perfect!!!!

PS Welcome to the forum

Carl
Christian M.
#16 Posted : 24 July 2019 07:35:09

Thank you Carl. BigGrin

For such things, a lot of research is necessary ... although in the end it is really only a keen eye, with which one looks at the things targeted.
The implementation in the model is then again like most in model making, pure exercise and also "try and error" ... Cool

Press and drag!
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 24 July 2019 07:41:43

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great dio, you’ve nailed the weathering for the building. Love Love

Mark
Christian M.
#18 Posted : 24 July 2019 08:59:13

Thank you... BigGrin

What I missed to mention in OP ...

Actually, I had planned to represent British troops and vehicles here instead of the Red Army ... somewhere in Northern Germany in whatever city in May 1945.
In the search for the necessary things, I unfortunately had to realize that many necessary things are no longer available. The beautiful Sherman Firefly kit - out of program! The good Cromwell tank - only the worse version of Herpa available. Only 3 of the 7 good sets of British soldiers available ... and so on! Cursing

Instead taking US Army as alternative? Looks a little bit better in the available vehicles, but not good enough for the figures of GI's. Mad

Instead, Grandpa's Wehrmacht again? Even everything is so far available and more a difficulty in deciding what and what not ... but no ... boring! Huh
Something different and so Red Army this time BigGrin

Press and drag!
Christian M.
#19 Posted : 25 July 2019 07:35:37

Due to the current hot weather in Cologne ... yesterday we had 40° Celsius (= 104° F!) and today it could be 41-42° Celsius ... I made not much the last days.

But during the warm late evening hours I build so far the JS-2 tank, so I can start painting soon.
The upper hull section is Resin, the rest is plastic and also some PE parts are included. Without PE parts, there are 29 pieces to assemble.

The 2 towing cables on the rear will be installed after painting ... the single headlight which should be next to drivers hatch has fled the tweezers and landed somewhere in the carpet monster. No matter ... I saw enough pictures of JS-2 without the headlight ...

The two-part hatch of the Kommandantenkuppel are unfortunately at the kit too. So I drilled them out and then made new ones with plastic sheet to open them. However, I have now seen in the pictures that I have to correct the rear hatch again something ... which sits a little bit wrong.
At the other two, later following JS-2 which also come on the diorama, I will also make damages to the chain covers. Here at the first vehicle I have renounced it ... not all JS-2 looked messed up and like being in battle since a decade BigGrin

Press and drag!
Christian M.
#20 Posted : 26 July 2019 08:00:00

Good Morning

Yesterday I started painting the tank.
First, the whole tank was painted completely flat black as a primer. In Russian / Soviet tanks and vehicles of WW-2, there were a variety of different color finishes. The most common was a greenish color shade (Russian Green) and a color that corresponds to an olive green (olive drab). After my research, I found that the JS-2 tank had this olive green shade nearly always.
Therefore, I have then mixed a corresponding shade by using Revell Aqua color. For this, I took NATO Oliv and mixed a bit of bronze green (NATO Green) in it and painted the complete tank with this color. After this layer was dry, I took yellow oliv (olive drab) and added a little bit of beige to lighten it slightly. Here were only some areas painted partially to get the lightning effext of fading.... Of course, everything painted with the Air Brush.

Then it went on with artist oil paint. With heavily diluted black I have filled up the wells ... where you have to blunt this heavily diluted black just close to the desired area easily with the brush and then it runs its own way as it should automatically.
Subsequently, the turret sides were painted with glossy clear coat (also Revell Aqua) and after that was dry, the decals were applied. Now followed with white oil paint the white turret mark. Not all but most Soviet tanks had had this mark at the battle in and around Berlin. This was used as recognition sign for the own Air Force, so that not some IL-2 "Stormovik" make out of own tanks war waste.
At scale 1/35 I would make this by means of masking and Air Brush ... but on a small scale 1/87 as here and also with regard to the original photos, I took the brush. The mark was partially and often quite hectic just "between 2 Vodkas" been applied.

What's next?
First of all I will paint the tracks and the drive, then the detail painting, the aging / wethering and some dirt, etc. ... and then finally the figures (2 man tank crew in the 2 hatches an behind the tank turret, some sitting infantry).

Press and drag!