Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

25 Pages «<1718192021>»
Goddo's Build Options
goddo
#361 Posted : 16 May 2021 08:52:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Pics that were missing from previous post!!BigGrin BigGrin
goddo attached the following image(s):
clamp.jpg
knot.jpg
whipped.jpg
Markwarren
#362 Posted : 16 May 2021 10:13:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I admire anyone rigging a ship. Very nice work.Love Drool

Mark
goddo
#363 Posted : 16 May 2021 12:47:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Markwarren wrote:
I admire anyone rigging a ship. Very nice work.Love Drool

Mark

Mark, you are very kind but I am only just getting started on the rigging.
There might (or will) be few swear words flying about shortly. BigGrin BigGrin
Chris
goddo
#364 Posted : 18 May 2021 14:29:17

I have fitted the first hammock cranes and netting but BOY, am I having trouble!!
Is it just me that can't trim the netting cleanly? It's springing/stretching all over the place.
Perhaps one of you knows a different method or, more importantly, a better source for the netting?
Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers. Chris
nightwisher
#365 Posted : 18 May 2021 21:45:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris great start to the rigging. I am nowhere near this stage yet but I have been looking at other builds and some builders have replaced the black netting with a rope coloured net which I think looks much more convincing but I have no idea where to get it from.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Gandale
#366 Posted : 19 May 2021 00:09:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Chris, all looking good on the rigging front, well done....Drool Drool .. As for trimming the netting, I used my sprue cutters and for really tight areas a pair of snips. Sprue cutters worked very well especially if they were fairly new. A good quality pair of nail scissors can be equally as effective.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
goddo
#367 Posted : 19 May 2021 10:03:48

Gandale wrote:
Hi Chris, all looking good on the rigging front, well done....Drool Drool .. As for trimming the netting, I used my sprue cutters and for really tight areas a pair of snips. Sprue cutters worked very well especially if they were fairly new. A good quality pair of nail scissors can be equally as effective.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the advice.
I attach a pic of the scissors and rigging snips that I am currently using.
I have to say the snips are brilliant with threads, thick and thin but can you tell me if your sprue snips are different, please?
goddo
#368 Posted : 24 May 2021 12:06:48

Snips and scissors that I am currently using.
cutters.jpg
goddo
#369 Posted : 24 May 2021 12:14:20

Not too much modelling activity at the moment but I did manage to get my hands on some water buckets that looked the correct scale. I had some small eye bolts which I snipped into hooks, added some rope handles and painted everything black, then hung them across the rail above the ships wheel. My hands and eyes are not that good that I wanted to try and paint "GR" on them though! I also place a few buckets beside the guns to add a little something extra.
I apologise for the mixture of dust and a little bees wax that shows in the photos.
bu1.jpg
bu2.jpg
bu3.jpg
bu4.jpg
z8000783
#370 Posted : 24 May 2021 12:33:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Nice work as ever, Chris.

goddo
#371 Posted : 26 May 2021 10:52:34

Morning All,
Does anyone know if the hammock netting advertised by Mantua is any easier to use instead of the stock netting provided with the HMS Victory kit?
I have tried a couple of ways to use this netting without success.
Thanks in advance.
Chris
goddo
#372 Posted : 26 May 2021 18:17:56

I was pondering my problem with the hammock crane netting and looked at a previous build by Bernd.
His is an excellent build diary in every respect so I decided to try his method but with a small difference.
Bernd used cardboard and watered down wood glue to set out the netting but I used grease proof paper and superglue instead.
I attach a few pics to show how it looks at my first attempt. Hopefully, my skills will improve as I work my way round the hammock cranes. My sewing skills need to improve too!!
What do you think gents?
net1.jpg
net2.jpg
net3.jpg
net4.jpg
goddo
#373 Posted : 29 May 2021 08:22:22

Quick question, if I may, please?
I am building my model “Bare Spars”. Ie no sails.
I am currently building the hammock cranes with netting at the moment and then had a thought (I know, it’s a bit unusual for me!)
The hammocks surely wouldn’t be in the cranes, would they? Only during battle I believe.
Also, would the nets be a permanent fixture or should I omit those as well?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Chris
tenderfoot
#374 Posted : 14 June 2021 20:47:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

Excellent work! Really like the approach for the netting. I fought with those for the longest on my Victory build. Will definitely give your method a go the next time I need to mess with the dreaded nets.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
tenderfoot
#375 Posted : 14 June 2021 21:09:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Registered

goddo wrote:
Quick question, if I may, please?
I am building my model “Bare Spars”. Ie no sails.
I am currently building the hammock cranes with netting at the moment and then had a thought (I know, it’s a bit unusual for me!)
The hammocks surely wouldn’t be in the cranes, would they? Only during battle I believe.
Also, would the nets be a permanent fixture or should I omit those as well?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Chris

It is my understanding that the netting was typically in place and that the hammocks would be regularly stowed in the cranes for several reasons:
1. To help air them out since they typically started to smell pretty rancid after a few days. There are even some captains logs out there describing when and how they ordered the stowing of hammocks.
2. Provide a limited barrier to musket balls and splinters during battle
3. Serve as a life preserver should the need arise. It is said they could float for up to an hour before they became water logged, so at least gave the sailer a fighting chance in the water since back in the day most sailors could not swim.

Also, from what I found they were typically stowed folded into a U with the two ends facing down in the crane (so an upside down U). This would help prevent sea water from getting into the hammock. Also found that these practices varied by navy and era. However, there is some good info out there if you wanted to dig further.
COMPLETED:
• HMS Victory (DeAgostini Subscription) - if you haven't got it, get it...what a beautiful build. This was my first attempt at this stuff and what a great experience. The instructions were spot on for those new to the hobby.
• HMS Bounty Admiralty (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN PROGRESS:
• USS Constitution (DeAgostini Subscription) - View the build diary.

IN NEED OF MY LOVE AND ATTENTION:
• HMS Sovereign of the Seas (DeAgostini Subscription) - promise myself I will get to this after I finish the USS Constitution and the HMS Bounty. Need to maintain balance in my marriage.
goddo
#376 Posted : 15 June 2021 15:30:55

Thanks for looking at my build tenderfoot.
Appreciate your input regarding the hammocks and netting.
Chris
goddo
#377 Posted : 31 August 2021 13:38:31

No pics in this entry, mainly because I think I'm going to have to admit defeat with my latest efforts.
I have been trying, with a spectacular lack of success, to add netting to the hammock cranes, to my satisfaction.
I have rebuilt them three times now using various methods and I just can't get them looking right.
I have now decided that I will continue my build with empty cranes.
leedsfromsouth
#378 Posted : 13 September 2021 18:07:42

goddo wrote:
Not too much modelling activity at the moment but I did manage to get my hands on some water buckets that looked the correct scale. I had some small eye bolts which I snipped into hooks, added some rope handles and painted everything black, then hung them across the rail above the ships wheel. My hands and eyes are not that good that I wanted to try and paint "GR" on them though! I also place a few buckets beside the guns to add a little something extra.
I apologise for the mixture of dust and a little bees wax that shows in the photos.

Superb idea with the buckets ,looking good .
tf64
#379 Posted : 15 September 2021 07:43:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Spot-on Chris, a great build well done.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

goddo
#380 Posted : 14 October 2021 12:51:55

For various reasons, I haven't made too much progress with Victory until lately but I thought I would have another attempt at the hammock nets. You may know that I have had a few attempts that weren't to my satisfaction and came up with the method below.

Place an oversized piece of netting in the cranes.

Use small weights to keep some tension on the netting (but not too much). Glue the netting to the top rail using superglue.

Glue the other side in a similar fashion and leave all to dry thoroughly.

Some pics of the finished hammock cranes.

I personally think it looks a cleaner job at this scale than using thread wrapped around the cranes.
See what you think. All comments, good or otherwise, are welcome. Thanks for looking at my post