Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

25 Pages <1234>»
Goddo's Build Options
goddo
#21 Posted : 01 August 2019 17:02:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

DaDokta wrote:
Hi Chris - congrats to your build so far!

This was my solution for working on the lower hull:

Thanks very much for the alternative. I shall look closer at both versions.
delboy271155
#22 Posted : 01 August 2019 17:21:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Chris,

Looks like you are really getting to grips with this build. WTG

Cool Love Cool Love Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for getting a diary up and running.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

goddo
#23 Posted : 01 August 2019 18:55:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Chris,

Looks like you are really getting to grips with this build. WTG

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for getting a diary up and running.

Thanks Derek, it really is starting to take over my spare time, such as it is at the moment.
I am currently fairing the bulkheads and boy, do those stern plates take some sanding back to the keel line!!
Will post a couple of pics for comment once I think I am almost there with the fairing.
Really pleased with my Blue Medal. It's been a long time since I earned a rewardBigGrin BigGrin
goddo
#24 Posted : 03 August 2019 17:20:10

I spent quite a lot of time fairing the bulkheads and sanding down the stern plates at the gallery.
Tapered the rear of the false keel section down to approx 2mm thick
I found that not permanently fitting the gallery support pieces has helped me to sand more easily, but will be glueing those into position now.
Also found that the bottom sections of bulkhead 24 had become loose so glued those back in securely.
Although not fully completed yet, any comments on improving the fairing would be appreciated. Thanks.
Next step will be adding the balsa wood infills at bow and stern.
goddo attached the following image(s):
fair1.jpg
fair2.jpg
fair3.jpg
birdaj2
#25 Posted : 03 August 2019 20:47:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well done.

Sanding down that stern end is "frightening" as you have to take off so much wood.

You have done a sterling job. 1 to tick off your "next stage list".

Hope it all continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
goddo
#26 Posted : 03 August 2019 22:57:17

birdaj2 wrote:
Well done.

Sanding down that stern end is "frightening" as you have to take off so much wood.

You have done a sterling job. 1 to tick off your "next stage list".

Hope it all continues well.

Tony

I must admit that I was getting very nervous.
Despite reading the instructions and watching the video umpteen times, I still couldn't believe that I was doing it "by the book".
I think another session on the fairing and I will be ready to fit the balsa infills and start planking.
From previous build diaries, I'm not sure whether I am looking forward to that bit or not.
As a matter of interest, has anybody had to fair the top legs of the bulkheads very much? Mine look as if they are almost ready to go?
Chris
goddo
#27 Posted : 04 August 2019 10:04:46

I have just picked up on something that is a bit worrying.
I clamped a thin strip of timber along the outside of the bulkheads legs (at the deck support level above the upper gun deck) and noticed that there are dips in the "profile" at frames 18 and 24 on both sides, but more pronounced on the port side.
If I lay a plank along the deck support brackets (on the inside) in the same area there is a distinct difference between port and starboard, with relation of the plank and the bulkhead legs.
This probably all sounds very badly described and it's very difficult to take pictures.
Is this dip correct and I'm being paranoid? I have looked through the build sheets and watched the videos but can see no mention of this.
z8000783
#28 Posted : 04 August 2019 10:19:02

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

It's hard to say without seeing where the problem is but as a rule of thumb, there should be NO dips or bumps at all otherwise the planks will not sit correctly.

I remember when I was fairing, I needed to build up frames about half as much as I rubbed them back. I used varying thicknesses of wood to do that but one one occasion, I had to bend a 2mm plank and glue it on.

goddo
#29 Posted : 04 August 2019 12:38:16

Thanks for the reply John and I appreciate your help.
I have attached some pics to try and show where these "dips" are. As I said before, it's quite hard to show you what I am referring to but perhaps these will help. The blue label notes the frame number and the yellow tape indicates where the "dips" are worst. The only other comment is that it is the same for both sides of the ship but more noticeable on the port side.
If it's necessary, I could build up the external profile to remove the discrepancy but I then have the problem on the inside of the legs and the profile that the next deck level will take.
Sorry this all sounds so confusing.
File Attachment(s):
upper frames 1.jpeg (61kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
upper frames2.jpeg (78kb) downloaded 42 time(s).
upper frames3.jpeg (71kb) downloaded 41 time(s).
z8000783
#30 Posted : 04 August 2019 12:41:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Yes, I see now. You definitely have to do something about those.

The internal profile isn't important as in just about all cases, it will be built up and then covered.

goddo
#31 Posted : 04 August 2019 12:53:13

z8000783 wrote:
Yes, I see now. You definitely have to do something about those.

The internal profile isn't important as in just about all cases, it will be built up and then covered.

OK John, thanks for taking a look.
I'll get on with building them up.Crying Cursing Crying
goddo
#32 Posted : 07 August 2019 18:05:47

After A LOT of packing and sanding, I have finally got the external profiles of the bulkheads to line up.
I am amazed at the discrepancies in the bulkheads seeing as they are computerised, laser cut pieces.
Still, job now done.
The fairing of all the bulkheads is complete, I think, and balsa packing pieces added bow and stern.
About to start on the planking and I was wondering if there is any benefit in leaving the gallery planking until the hull is completed so that the gallery planks would cover any discrepancies in the ends of the hull planks....if you see what I mean?
Any advice or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Chris
bulkheads aligned.jpg
bow faired.jpg
stern faired.jpg
Gandale
#33 Posted : 07 August 2019 22:49:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nicely done, you've done a great job on the profiling.... With these kind of wooden ship kits its not unusual to find bulges and dips in the profile of the hull. You'd think it would be very accurate but alas, very seldom the case.... Cool Cool

As for planking the gallery, I would recommend you plank as per the instructions, by far the safest method.

Regards

Alan
goddo
#34 Posted : 07 August 2019 22:57:50

Thanks, Alan. I will continue as per the instructions.
Chris
DaDokta
#35 Posted : 08 August 2019 13:06:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good job building up some of the frames! I think many here had the same problem - and even with the same frames!

But now this is solved and you can start the planking!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
goddo
#36 Posted : 08 August 2019 17:07:48

Thanks Walter.
I started planking and laid the first row on either side today, together with planking the underside of the gallery supports.
Long way to go but I’m really enjoying the model.
Chris
goddo
#37 Posted : 09 August 2019 09:37:14

I got started on the planking last night and the results are below.
gallery.jpg
first row.jpg
Markwarren
#38 Posted : 09 August 2019 10:19:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work you can see you are enjoying this Chris.

Mark
goddo
#39 Posted : 09 August 2019 10:41:46

Markwarren wrote:
Nice work you can see you are enjoying this Chris.

Mark

Thanks Mark.
Unfortunately, I’m enjoying it a little too much, according to SWMBO.
I try to confine most of my modelling work to when she is busy or working. (She has a part time job.)
You know how it is...she always wants you for something just when you are half way through some tricky little part of the job or, “Your dinner will be in the dog if you don’t come now”. That sort of thing. I hope I’m not the only one? Blink Blink
z8000783
#40 Posted : 09 August 2019 12:00:07

You may want to have a look at official diary picture the stern. I doubt it will make a lot of difference but my understanding is that it should be close to flat. I do remember that there did need to be a lot taken off of this area when it was faired.