Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

25 Pages «<1819202122>»
Goddo's Build Options
z8000783
#381 Posted : 14 October 2021 15:51:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi Chris

That looks absolutely fabulous, and I am just an issue or two behind you now, and so I will keep this in mind.

Great work, looking forward to seeing the rest.

z8000783
#382 Posted : 17 October 2021 11:48:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

*BUMP*
goddo
#383 Posted : 17 October 2021 12:25:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Thanks John.
I think the idea of modelling is returning now after a few months disinterest.
Also, a big "Thank you" to John (Z8000783) for sorting me out with my pics and presentation.
Chris
z8000783
#384 Posted : 19 October 2021 07:33:22

My pleasure Chris.

It is frustrating and a real shame we can't see members pictures properly here, and so it was great to help out so that at least yours could be displayed easily and without problems now.

Kev the Modeller
#385 Posted : 19 October 2021 10:42:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

z8000783 wrote:

My pleasure Chris.

It is frustrating and a real shame we can't see members pictures properly here, and so it was great to help out so that at least yours could be displayed easily and without problems now.

It is perfectly simple to post your pictures so that other members can see them. You just have to use a third party host for your images instead of using the Modelspace method. I use 'Imgur' (which is free and unlimited) then for each picture you want to display, just select 'Get Codes' on that image then select 'BB Code' from the drop down menu, copy the 'BB' code that you're given and then just paste it into your reply post box here on MS. You can even insert pictures between text that way rather than having to write all of your text in one block before or after the group of images using the MS option?

Doing it that way ALL of your images load up together and first time when a member opens your post, no problem. If you click on one of my build updates you will see that they are all there immediately, no having to constantly refresh the post, so there isn't a problem, it just needs the use of a third party host?

Simples! Cool ThumpUp

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
z8000783
#386 Posted : 19 October 2021 10:45:44

Kev the Modeller wrote:
. ... it just needs the use of a third party host?

That's exactly what I am doing here.

Anyway, I'm sure he would appreciate a comment or two about his build.

goddo
#387 Posted : 20 October 2021 18:54:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Well, I managed to fit all the crane nets to my satisfaction and I'm now starting on the hammocks.
It's good to be back doing some modelling but it will be slow progress for a while.

I decided to lay the hammocks flat as opposed to folding them over and placing them side by side vertically

z8000783
#388 Posted : 24 October 2021 18:22:36

Hi Chris, looking superb as ever.

Just curious, though, what makes you think the hammocks should be folded and placed vertically? The instructions seem to suggest they should be laid flat, as you have done.

goddo
#389 Posted : 24 October 2021 18:57:29

z8000783 wrote:

Hi Chris, looking superb as ever.

Just curious, though, what makes you think the hammocks should be folded and placed vertically? The instructions seem to suggest they should be laid flat, as you have done.

Thanks for the comment, John.
Some time ago, I saw a build (not sure if it was on this forum now) that showed the hammocks folded in two and pushed vertically into the nets. In a way this does make some sense in that water would not stay inside the hammocks and also, it would be easier for the sailors to lift them out of the nets when taking them back below decks. Attached below is the only pic I have of them stored in this way.
goddo attached the following image(s):
folded hammocks.JPG
Markwarren
#390 Posted : 25 October 2021 09:29:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very nice Chris, great work.Love Love

Mark
tf64
#391 Posted : 25 October 2021 11:21:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris,

Excellent work an eye for detail looking good.

Regards

Trev,
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

goddo
#392 Posted : 25 October 2021 11:31:11

Thankyou John. Mark and Trevor.
Very kind of you to comment.
Chris
z8000783
#393 Posted : 27 October 2021 09:33:44

It seems that modellers use all sorts of variants on the hammocks. I've no idea if there was a particular standard used in the navy in those days.

goddo
#394 Posted : 27 October 2021 10:32:04

Thanks for the feedback, John.
Your picture looks very similar to one of those I saw on another forum.
Seems there is no definitive way of storing them then?
Chris
tom.ganc
#395 Posted : 28 October 2021 13:46:50

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

I had a look through your diary and I am very impressed. Great quality detailing job and looks like you have must fun part to do - rigging ;)

I'm not that far behind you with mine so I hope to catch up this Christmas time.

Great job BigGrin
goddo
#396 Posted : 28 October 2021 13:54:24

All of the hammocks made and installed now.
I have attached all the shrouds to the three masts and popped them in place for a quick look to see how they fit.
I also fitted the boarding pikes on the fore and main masts.
I decided to loosely connect the upper shrouds as I thought this would save some awkward arm aches later once the masts are installed. Hope this decision will not come back to bite me later on. Opinions welcome.
Apologies for the appalling quality of the pics, including the background, but my iPad camera seems to be playing up. (Hint for Christmas present BigGrin BigGrin)

goddo
#397 Posted : 28 October 2021 15:14:20

tom.ganc wrote:
I had a look through your diary and I am very impressed. Great quality detailing job and looks like you have must fun part to do - rigging ;)

I'm not that far behind you with mine so I hope to catch up this Christmas time.

Great job BigGrin

Thanks for the kind words Tom.
It is a lovely model to work on but I am finding it more difficult at the moment to devote any extended time to it but I'm sure that will be changing soon.
Good luck with yours and look forward to seeing you build diary.
Chris
tom.ganc
#398 Posted : 28 October 2021 15:27:52

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Thanks

I know your pain. I got to the point I couldn't continue. Had to move the house couple of times. Luckily I saved all the magazines, parts, bits and pieces and she is in one piece too. Stored securely on my loft. I guess it will take me couple of weeks just to get my head around what I've done and where should I start with the build. I'd like to get to the point I will have all my doubts behind me and will be gearing up for rigging.

The hardest point will be deciding how to display her as I'm not decided if I will be going full masts or just up to first crow's nest and no sails.

I will definitely be posting some picture updates once I get around to this.

All the best
Tom
Kev the Modeller
#399 Posted : 31 October 2021 23:41:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Some lovely work going on here Chris, very impressive and I love how neat and tidy your work is. Very nice indeed, you should be very proud! Cool ThumpUp

Almost makes me want to sell all of my other kits and take up period ship modelling!! BigGrin

Kev

Per Ardua Ad Astra
goddo
#400 Posted : 01 November 2021 09:48:52

Kev the Modeller wrote:
Some lovely work going on here Chris, very impressive and I love how neat and tidy your work is. Very nice indeed, you should be very proud! Cool ThumpUp

Almost makes me want to sell all of my other kits and take up period ship modelling!! BigGrin

Kev

Ha Ha Kev,
Thank you for the kind comments.
However, what you can't see in my pics is all the detritus that has been carefully shoved out of site.
The floor is also covered in short offcuts of rigging thread and the odd deadeye that has shot out of my hand, never to be seen again ....until I have finished.
Chris