Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

25 Pages «<2122232425>
Goddo's Build Options
birdaj2
#441 Posted : 16 August 2022 03:44:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Chris

That is some very neat and precise work you have put into your build.

Its all looking really good.

Hope it continues well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
goddo
#442 Posted : 16 August 2022 06:19:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thank you Tony.
Rigging was never my favourite pastime though. 🙁🙁
Chris
goddo
#443 Posted : 26 August 2022 12:06:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

So, I have completed stages 99 and 100 and will now move on to the ratlines which I have to admit are not my favourite part of any build. I usually manage to make a bit of a pig’s ear of them. I thought about the two methods: (a)Threading them through the shrouds or (b) Knotting them, but after a couple of trial runs I decided to knot them.

The one problem I did encounter was keeping the shrouds spaced properly so I came up with the idea of a clamp system. This involves nothing more than a few strips of old planking timber and some stationary clips.

Assembled as shown in the photos below, it seems to be working reasonably well at the moment. All I need now are another pair of eye balls because I found that after 4 or 5 rows I had to take a short break! Also, please don't criticise the bindings on the deadeyes too muchConfused Confused They didn't turn out very well at all. One thing that I found helpful (to me anyway) was to wax the ratlines. Just three or four wipes over a wax bar seemed to help keep them reasonably on line.

Let me know what you think and all comments good or bad are welcome. Thanks for looking in at my build.

Chris

goddo
#444 Posted : 07 December 2022 16:51:41

Well, after at least six weeks of on/off tying of ratline knots, they are done!
I hasten to say, not to a very high standard because despite all my efforts, to get the lines straight and even between the shrouds hasn't worked out like the examples of other members on here. Fortunately I have no intention of making this model a display piece so I am probably the only one that will ever notice how crooked they are. Below are two (long distance) shots of my efforts so far.

birdaj2
#445 Posted : 07 December 2022 22:35:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Well i think you have made a wonderful job on these.

Your ship is really looking good.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
goddo
#446 Posted : 08 December 2022 13:37:59

birdaj2 wrote:
Well i think you have made a wonderful job on these.

Your ship is really looking good.

Tony

Thank you for your kind comment, Tony.
I suppose the problem is that the modeller knows where all his mistakes are (and that's quite a few in my case) whereas a casual viewer probably sees more of an overall picture of the whole thing.
tf64
#447 Posted : 08 December 2022 15:04:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris,
Your build looks just fine to me, and I would think that after all the crew had run up and down the lines they would not be too straight, well done.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

goddo
#448 Posted : 08 December 2022 17:27:31

Thanks, Trev. Very kind of you.
z8000783
#449 Posted : 09 December 2022 12:40:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Excellent work as ever, Chris. Well done.

You are being top harsh on yourself.

suey
#450 Posted : 09 December 2022 17:55:23

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Your Victory is looking beautiful Chris.

May I be nosey and ask about the photos in post #443? The clamps you have holding the ratlines straight (not the bulldog clips). They look to be wooden, the handle and hinge look like regular UK clothes pegs. However the bit below the hinge looks more like a straight clamp rather than the clothes peg curvy bits. I'm struggling to describe what I'm seeing, mainly because the photos are the wrong angle (these clamps/pegs not being the subject of interest!).

So could you please tell me what they are?

Sue
birdaj2
#451 Posted : 10 December 2022 20:20:23

suey wrote:
Your Victory is looking beautiful Chris.

May I be nosey and ask about the photos in post #443? The clamps you have holding the ratlines straight (not the bulldog clips). They look to be wooden, the handle and hinge look like regular UK clothes pegs. However the bit below the hinge looks more like a straight clamp rather than the clothes peg curvy bits. I'm struggling to describe what I'm seeing, mainly because the photos are the wrong angle (these clamps/pegs not being the subject of interest!).

So could you please tell me what they are?

Sue

Sue

I wonder if it might be these that Chris is using?

https://www.cornwallmode...D%2D8178%2Ehtml#SID=2788
Happy Modelling

suey
#452 Posted : 10 December 2022 22:08:01

They may well be (3 per packet seems a strange number!!). I saw something that looks very similar in a build post on ModelShipWorld but of course I can't find it again.
Unfortunately Chris's photos are just the wrong angle on the clamps to see if the bow of the Mantua clamps are there. Guess I'll wait to see if Chris will reply but thanks for your input birdaj2.
Sue
goddo
#453 Posted : 11 December 2022 19:33:22

suey wrote:
They may well be (3 per packet seems a strange number!!). I saw something that looks very similar in a build post on ModelShipWorld but of course I can't find it again.
Unfortunately Chris's photos are just the wrong angle on the clamps to see if the bow of the Mantua clamps are there. Guess I'll wait to see if Chris will reply but thanks for your input birdaj2.
Sue

Hi Sue,
Sorry for the delay in replying. My daughter got married yesterday so I had other things on my mind!!
BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
The clamps that look like clothes pegs in my photos are indeed the Mantua 8178 but I just happened to find someone on Ebay selling a box with thirty of them in it for just a couple of pounds. I was just lucky with that one. As I have mentioned (somewhere) before, if you do buy some, make sure you sand off the laser ash on the contact areas before using them.
suey
#454 Posted : 11 December 2022 22:43:47

Thanks for the reply - what an incredibly lucky Ebay find.

Congratulation to your daughter and new husband. Here's hoping a long and happy life together and if they're intending to travel somewhere for their honeymoon, then good luck negotiating the various strikes. How's your hangover?

Perhaps haunt ebay for a while to see if I too can get lucky.

Regards
Sue
goddo
#455 Posted : 12 December 2022 23:42:07

z8000783 wrote:

Excellent work as ever, Chris. Well done.
You are being top harsh on yourself.

Thanks for the kind comments John.
Enjoy your stay here and hope there's plenty of snow on the slopes.
goddo
#456 Posted : 18 December 2022 15:13:11

HELP!!
I am after some help please.
I have mysteriously lost the larger strip of brass gun port lid hinges for my Victory. I do have the smaller, rectangular strip.
Can anyone remember which pack they were included with or, alternatively know of a modelling supplier that has the correct size, please? I checked Cornwall Boats and they don’t have them listed.
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Chris.
goddo
#457 Posted : 18 December 2022 15:25:39

Apologies for the above post. The pack number is 97.
I still need the hinges though, if anyone cane assist in any way?
Chris
delboy271155
#458 Posted : 18 December 2022 15:44:13

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

goddo wrote:
Apologies for the above post. The pack number is 97.
I still need the hinges though, if anyone cane assist in any way?
Chris

Hi Chris, BigGrin

If you need the whole issue 97, then it can be found here at £12.95 + delivery.

https://partworkscollect...b0df0292d/Products/DLNV

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#459 Posted : 18 December 2022 23:09:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Confused Sorry, but can you not just ask for a replacement from CS/
goddo
#460 Posted : 20 December 2022 20:11:40

Sorry for tardy response to all your ideas guys and thank you for replying.
I have actually found the offending part....it was right under my nose.
My kids call it "A Dad Look" and they are probably right.
BigGrin BigGrin
Have a great Christmas and I hope to post some progress pics in the New Year.
Chris