Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

25 Pages «<22232425>
Goddo's Build Options
goddo
#461 Posted : 09 January 2023 18:49:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

So, I have reached the point where the gun port lids needed fitting.
I have attached a couple of "production line' pics plus pics of the port side with lids attached. Next up is the starboard side.

goddo
#462 Posted : 22 February 2023 13:13:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Morning all,
Progressing slowly with the rigging and I've arrived at the point of fitting the first spar on the foremast.
In the instructions, it is stated that the spar should be raised until it is about 25mm below the mast head.
When I watch the video it shows, like mine does, that the spar cannot get as close as 25mm because the blocks are touching.
I am building the standing rigging version of the ship so all this is clearly visible.
Am I worrying unduly? Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks. Chris.
tf64
#463 Posted : 23 February 2023 08:05:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Chris,

Looks very good to me, keep it going and you will have a masterpiece.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Odo
#464 Posted : 06 March 2023 22:34:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Chris,

I'm very impressed with your build and it reminds me that I've still got a loooooong way to go.

In an earlier post - I think it was when you were doing the mast - you uploaded a picture with a nice little mini lathe. I'm humming and hawing about getting one for myself. Would you be willing to say where you got yours from?

Keep the updates coming BigGrin

Cheers,
Odo
goddo
#465 Posted : 07 March 2023 15:45:18

Hi Odo,

Thanks for your kind comments.
The lathe I have is by Mantua but you will also need a 4 speed mains transformer.
They are not cheap but make the tapering of mast and yards so much easier.
I also bought some assorted ferrels.
These items are available from companies such as Cornwall Boats although I bought mine from my “local” modelling shop. Good luck.
Chris
Odo
#466 Posted : 08 March 2023 20:01:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Thanks Chris!

It's definitely a tool, that'll make life much easier. I guess I've got a few stages left before I get to the masts, so there's plenty of time to put some pennies aside.

Cheers,
Odo
goddo
#467 Posted : 11 March 2023 12:55:54

First of all, my apologies for the quality of the photos. Something that I must sort out asap. I have made some progress with the mast and fore mast spars rigging. I have now finished stage 107 and you can see that I have gone for the standing rigging option.

A fair amount of this work was quite straight forward but I did experience situations where I cut it all off and started again. I really enjoyed painting and mounting the figurehead although the cherubs took a bit of re-glueing and touching up of the paintwork.

The other thing that I have done slightly differently to the MS instructions is to drop the spars a little more than they suggested so that there is a small gap between the lifting blocks (rather than "touching". I have done it more in keeping with the book by Longridge called The Anatomy of Nelsons Ships. The book is full of details and illustrations that helped me enormously.

I am going to be away for a short while, so no modelling for a bit. More updates will follow later.

All comments welcome, good or bad. Thanks.

Chris
goddo
#468 Posted : 24 March 2023 20:23:58

Moved a little further forward with the rigging and completed work to the foremast.
I spent a hour or two making up some rope coils and rigging hanks, not all neccesarily to my satisfaction.
They really are little so and so's to arrange properly but I have tried not to make it look like a showroom presentation. (In other words, they look a bit untidy compared to some of the stunning models on this forum)
Moving on to the main mast now.
One tip that I'm sure many of you are aware of: when fitting the applicator extensions on the CA glue bottles, the end of the applicator tubes are prone to splitting. If you warm it first, using a hair dryer or warm water, it doesn't split. Hope that helps someone.

Odo
#469 Posted : 28 March 2023 21:51:50

I prefer the look of your "no showroom like" rigging. It gives your model character and a unique more natural lookCool All this rigging work is the part I look the least forward to...Unsure

Keep it upThumpUp
Odo
#470 Posted : 28 March 2023 21:51:50

Hi again Goddo,

Just another quick question in regards to the mini lathe of yours.
Would you say the motor is strong enough to work on brass components as well or is it really just good for wood?

Cheers,
Odo
goddo
#471 Posted : 29 March 2023 11:19:00

Odo wrote:
Hi again Goddo,

Just another quick question in regards to the mini lathe of yours.
Would you say the motor is strong enough to work on brass components as well or is it really just good for wood?

Cheers,
Odo

Hi Odo,
Sorry, but I never tried working with brass on my lathe so I really can't comment.
The motor itself seems quite powerful and can't imagine that it couldn't cater with brass though.
Hope that helps a little.
Chris
richard.l
#472 Posted : 17 April 2023 21:31:43

Its all looking very nice Chris i can't wait to get started on the standing rigging but ive got the dreaded hammock cranes to do first.
goddo
#473 Posted : 25 April 2023 08:45:54

I'm not wanting to teach anyone to suck eggs, but lots of stages and tasks look a bit daunting when you have never done them before.
I can promise you that if you read the instructions and maybe watch the youtube official build videos, everything becomes clearer (although sometimes a little tricky to to do). Just take your time, have a dummy run if you can and enjoy the trip. The whole idea of model making is relaxation and fun (plus, in my case anyway, a large amount of Anglo Saxon expletives)
What I do know is that when I come out the other end of a task there is a feeling of satisfaction. Not always the best example but I know that I did it!
Two final personal tips to remember, particularly with rigging:
a) Always recheck the holes in the blocks are clear before you start threading
b) Never tie off fully or seal the rigging until it is all in place because you will need to reset the tensions as you go.

Apologies for the diatribe but hope it helps someone.
Chris
delboy271155
#474 Posted : 25 April 2023 20:30:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Chris, BigGrin

Not "Diatribe" Blink

All very useful tips that people would do well to take notice of if building one of these ships.

Keep up the good work and keep the tips coming. I`m making notes.LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

GilShapley
#475 Posted : 26 April 2023 07:32:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

All good advice, the only thing I would add is to know when to take a break.

Its a journey not a race.

Gil
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
goddo
#476 Posted : 26 April 2023 10:45:11

GilShapley wrote:
All good advice, the only thing I would add is to know when to take a break.

Its a journey not a race.

Gil

Yes, that is very good advice. Burning the midnight oil is not the right way of working on a hobby.
Well said Gil.

Chris
goddo
#477 Posted : 04 June 2023 19:26:47

I have built my model with standing rigging only.
Would it be correct to have the flags hoisted?
goddo
#478 Posted : 21 June 2023 01:17:06

Today I became really flustered……well, angry actually. That’s angry with myself of course!!!
After all this time I decided to open all the packs of figurines and there are some missing.
Namely, Nelson, Hardy and Atkinson. Loads of seamen in various poses but the main guys just aren’t included.
Has anybody got the pack number that these figurines should have been included, please?
Many thanks in advance.
Markwarren
#479 Posted : 21 June 2023 09:00:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I think they were all in the last pack.
See the link below, hope that helps.

Crew Link

Mark
goddo
#480 Posted : 21 June 2023 11:01:45

Hi Mark,
I have all the crewmen thanks and that isn't a problem.
The magazine does state that Nelson, Hardy and Atkinson are supplied separately but they certainly aren't in my kit.
I did buy the complete kit back in 2017 and although I made sure I had all the packs, I didn't open the figurine pack to see if everyone was included. Stupid me!!
Oh well, I shall search and see if they are available elsewhere.
Chris