Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

25 Pages «<23456>»
Goddo's Build Options
goddo
#61 Posted : 16 August 2019 20:12:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Thanks for taking a look Alan. A great help. i was just very conscious that the first layer is going to determine how the entire bow planking will go so wanted to get it as correct as possible. See side views of each side. The blue masking tape is just there to stop the ends of the planks sticking to the bulkheads until the adjacent planks are fitted.
goddo attached the following image(s):
Port.jpg
Starboard.jpg
Gandale
#62 Posted : 16 August 2019 22:54:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks Goddo, looks good to me.. Post up again when you have the first four rows complete.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
goddo
#63 Posted : 21 August 2019 17:56:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Finally got round to completing the relaying of the first four rows of planks and to my eye, it looks a little better than the first attempt. I would appreciate it if someone could have a quick look and please make any comments that are pertinent. Thanks.
bow.jpg
bow2.jpg
bow3.jpg
bow4.jpg
Gandale
#64 Posted : 21 August 2019 18:16:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks good to me Goddo and think that will sand down very nicely.... well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
z8000783
#65 Posted : 21 August 2019 18:31:37

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Very nice Chris.

goddo
#66 Posted : 21 August 2019 19:59:15

Thank you Gents. I shall push on and get some more planks fitted.
z8000783
#67 Posted : 22 August 2019 06:57:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Rubbing down at the end will really bring her beauty out but for now, concentrate on getting the planks tight up against each other and with as few proud areas as possible.

goddo
#68 Posted : 27 August 2019 16:11:25

First six rows of planking completed.
Marked out lower gun deck ports and cleaned up the stern/gallery area.
Now the task of cutting out the ports!
image1-6.jpg
image2-2.jpg
image3-2.jpg
Gandale
#69 Posted : 27 August 2019 23:29:57

Making good progress now Goddo, well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
goddo
#70 Posted : 08 September 2019 18:16:23

Modelling reduced a lot recently due to family matters but finally got the lower deck gun ports cut out.
I couldn't resist having a light sand on the planks so far to see how it is progressing. Not too bad, I think (he said modestly).
Now on to more planking.
lower gunports1.jpg
lower gunports2.jpg
Gandale
#71 Posted : 08 September 2019 22:45:30

Certainly looks like you're on the right track now Goddo, nothing I see there that gives cause for concern.... Very nice work....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
z8000783
#72 Posted : 09 September 2019 06:47:42

Looking great Chris.

It is tempting to rub down a little as you go but try to resist. The planks are not that thick.

nightwisher
#73 Posted : 09 September 2019 22:00:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now that is some good planking Love
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
goddo
#74 Posted : 10 September 2019 10:36:56

Thanks for the very kind comments, Gents.
Quick question: Is it just me who thinks that the darker coloured planking pieces are a harder wood than the light coloured ones? Even just drilling the angled pin holes each end takes a little bit more effort, (plus a few snapped drill bits). Not a problem and happy to use the wood. I just thought I would ask.
goddo
#75 Posted : 11 September 2019 10:25:44

I am now laying layers 7, 8 and 9 and I have a query if someone can help me please?
When fitting the stern planks, should I be letting the plank extension past the rearmost bulkhead take it's natural path or should I be bending them round a little? Not very well explained but see attached photos which might make my question a bit clearer.
File Attachment(s):
stern1.jpeg (45kb) downloaded 14 time(s).
stern2.jpg
stern3.jpg
stern4.jpg
Gandale
#76 Posted : 11 September 2019 11:19:34

Hi Goddo.

You shouldn't need to bend them in after the rearmost bulkhead. You should be using the template to mark the ends of the planks then cutting them.

Regards

Alan
goddo
#77 Posted : 12 September 2019 09:13:40

Sorry, forgot to upload one photo
goddo
#78 Posted : 12 September 2019 09:15:07

I know I should have noticed this earlier but as I finished layer 9 of the planking on both sides and, although they are even where they meet the bow section, there is a discrepancy of about 2mm as the planks come round the sides of the bow formers. I have been tapering the planks as described in the instructions and as far as I can see, they are uniform. I checked the keel and it doesn't look deformed. Photos attached if anyone has any suggestions, please?
keel.jpg
layer9.jpg
DaDokta
#79 Posted : 12 September 2019 09:58:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I wouldn`t worry too much about those 2mm - the planks aren`t all exactly the same width.

I guess you will be painting the hull?

So no one will ever notice!

You also must consider that when done, it`s very hard to look at her from both sides at the same time. So small discrepancies won`t show!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
goddo
#80 Posted : 12 September 2019 10:22:38

Thanks for the reassurance, Walter.
Yes, I will be painted the ship when the time comes plus, I would imagine, once all the other parts are fitted at the bow, it would be hard to pick up the difference.
Thanks again.
Chris