Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1/24 LEM Apollo 11 Options
darbyvet
#1 Posted : 13 August 2019 15:46:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I am building a 1/24 lunar excursion module.It will be the Apollo 11 version of the module with an open MESA bay (LM-5).It will have a full interior and hopefully will have lighting.it will be a combination of parts from Shapeways, some of my own designs and some scratchbuilt parts.

The ascent stage will be made from parts designed by Vincent Meens and available on Shapeways. I bought these parts last year before Shapeways jacked up their prices. these parts are amazingly detailed and cover pretty much all of the interior detail and body shell.

My original plan was to buy the descent stage this year, but when I checked on Shapeways the prices had skyrocketed and it would have cost well over $2,000 for the descent stage. So I decided to make my own descent module.I have a modelling friend who was in the same boat and we decided we would both build one part of the descent stage and then then send each other the part we built. My friend is building the main body and engine bell and I decided to do the landing gear.

Big mistake on my part!! The landing gear is REALLY complex.I guess because the legs needed to fold for the module to fit inside the Saturn V third stage they needed a mechanism to unfold and lock the legs. Getting all the different struts at the right angle to each other was very difficult.it was also difficult finding good reference photos of the outriggers and struts because they were covered with mylar foil.Anyway I got as close as I could .I did make some alterations because I wanted to make sure the legs would be able to hold the weight of the finished kit.

I have to say I really take my hat off to the astronauts that put their lives on the line to ride in this very flimsy looking vehicle and the engineers that managed to make this complex design using slide rules and human "computers".

Here is a link to Vincent Meens webpage.This is where you will find the instructions to build his kit and links to the parts you need to buy. Vincent did an incredible job researching and building this model.There are some pictures of his own build and it is absolutely stunning.if I can get mine even half as good as his I will be well chuffed.

http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/LEM-24/index.htm

Anyway after that long preamble here is my design on the landing gear.Once they are printed they will go to my friend Randy and he will build the body of the descent stage.

Carl

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
lemgear1.jpg
LEMgear2.jpg
LEMgear3.jpg
Lemgear4.jpg
LEMgear5.jpg
tigerace
#2 Posted : 14 August 2019 13:02:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Wow CarlBlink you like the hard models to build mate BigGrin should look awesome thoughBigGrin will be followingBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#3 Posted : 15 August 2019 08:01:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Count me in as one of your followers on this acarl.

Mark
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 30 August 2019 17:51:08

SO I am waiting for the main body of the descent stage to arrive from my friend and I figured i would start gathering some of the materials for the descent stage.The whole stage was covered with various kinds of foil.The foil used was covered with a heat resistant plastic tape called Kapton tape.There were different thicknesses of tape used and this resulted in a couple of different shades to the coverings ranging from yellow gold to a metallic red covering.There was also a matt back covering used for part of the body.The foil was attached using thin pieces of kapton tape.

Replicating the coverings is a bit tricky.Bare metal foil is the obvious choice, but it wrinkles too much and doesnt really look like the LEM coverings.Vincent Meens suggests using mylar survival blankets.Thye come in silver, gold and orange and actually look pretty close to the Apollo coverings.They also dont wrinkle as much as the bare metal foil.

So I will use survival blankets for most of the coverings.I got some craft metallic red foil for the sections that are a red shade and I got some light blocking foil for the black sections.This foil is used by photographers for light blocking and it looks very close to the Apollo black covering.

I figured I can use spray adhesive to attach the foils and kapton tape for securing it around the landing gear legs etc..Vincent Meens has a very detailed .pdf that shows the exact placement of the different foils.

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
coverings.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 31 August 2019 09:20:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Like your idea Carl, that should replicate very nicely.Cool ThumpUp

Mark
arpurchase
#6 Posted : 31 August 2019 19:20:27

BigGrin They do look right on the foil front and should work out wellCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .