Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Planking according to instructions? Options
JanneG_50
#1 Posted : 18 August 2019 08:53:58

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I am a true beginner regarding model boat building. I have ordered San Filepe mostly caused by the detailed instructions on ModelSpace website. And it is a beautifull ship!

I have not received the kit yet, but I have tried to prepare myself by reading good information in the forum. Thanks to all! I have also studied the building instructions and videos on Youtube.

Now to my question (perhaps not the only ...BigGrin
The planking process seems critical and I have studied "Simple Hull Planking Techniques For Beginners" (called SHP below)edited by Dirk De Bakker and Greg Brooker. Verry good I think! The methods decribed in SHP differs somewhat from the planking methods decribed in the kit instructions (at least as I understand right now). Primarily the handling of bands and tappering of planks towards the bow as described in SHP is handled in another way according to the instructions.

Can anybody advise me if I shall follow the instructions completely or make a planking as shown in SHP?
Gandale
#2 Posted : 18 August 2019 09:30:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

The San Felipe is a lovely ship to put together and I'm sure you'll love the experience of building her. As this is your first venture into the world of wooden ship building, I would strongly recommend you create and maintain a build diary of your progress. There are many experienced modellers on this forum who are only to willing to render assistance when needed so the creation of a build diary will assist them in keeping you on track.

There are many different way to plank a ship, far to many ways to try and show or explain here. Being your first build I would recommend you follow the instructions, they are a step by step guide written with beginners in mind. Once you have gained experience then I'm sure you'll find your own preferred method of planking....

Good luck with your build and I for one look forward to following your progress....

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#3 Posted : 18 August 2019 09:44:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I would definitely follow Alan's advice. Having built this stunning ship I found it one of the easiest hulls to plank so I would follow the instructions Cool . Looking forward to seeing your build
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
JanneG_50
#4 Posted : 18 August 2019 10:43:30

Thanks Alan and Martyn. I Think it is wise to follow your advice!
Now I am waiting for the kit to arrive so I can start.
tf64
#5 Posted : 19 August 2019 08:31:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi JanneG_50, good luck with you build, it's a great ship to spend many hours over.

Trev.
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

JanneG_50
#6 Posted : 19 August 2019 08:53:45

Hello again!
I belive I still am a bit confused about eventual tappering of planks near the bow. I have studied the build instructions, but I cant really find any information on this. If you look at the images in instructions page 137-139 it seems to me that there is no tappering. Member stevelow had problem with this, please see post "1 st Planking Issue". One of the problem he had was that he did not tapper some planks.

I think that the instructions is a bit unclear regarding this.
Can you please advise me before I make a misstake?
Gandale
#7 Posted : 19 August 2019 09:17:06

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi, as I said in my previous post, there are many different ways to plank a model ship and if you follow the instructions then you shouldn't run into any problems. The method of planking being outlined shows gaps being left at the bow and stern, these gaps will be filled with tapered planks later in the build.

There is an excellent guide here for beginners, it will give you a good indication on the principles of hull planking. Hope this helps ease your confusion.

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=5669

I would also recommend you maintain a build diary outlining the steps you're taking on your build. This will help me and others on the forum assist you should you run into a problem or simply need advice. Should you decide to create a diary then you should create the topic here

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=topics&f=243

There is also an excellent build diary created Martyn, this is one I would suggest you follow. Am sure it'll give you a vast amount of help on your journey...

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=16973

Regards

Alan