Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

bojazz Options
bojazz
#1 Posted : 24 August 2019 20:21:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I love these large car kits. They are great out of the box fun kits, but you can add some light details to make them pop out more.

The front grilles were painted flat black to match the inside radiator and shadows.

The wheels were painted black and then washed with Tamiya Black Panel Liner in the recesses to add a different look to them and level out the recess. The chrome lug nuts were painted with Molotow Liquid Chrome (This stuff is great for airbrushing straight from the refill).This stuff is great, the only issues are you cannot do a wash on it, and add a sealer coat.

The engine has very minor add-on's to it. I used black wire for the fuel hoses to a plastic tube mounted to the manifold. I used a thin wire coat hanger and cut a thin strip of masking tape to create the fuel line feed from the gas tanks (this hides itself on the engine firewall.

The firewall has some minor piping added to the rear wall and the brake reservoir has a small wire added to it to lock down the cover. I drilled a small hole front and rear, Bent a wire and shaped it to the hole pattern.

The manifold received a minor pin wash of Tamiya Black Panel Line and a hint of Brown Panel Liner (after all engines are not that clean, they need a little definition)

The tops of the valve covers first painted in flat black, then wiped clean to show the paint in the recesses. After it dried, masking tape was use to protect the painted area. The body of the valve cover was primed and then painted with flat black.

The Air Filter System was a bit tricky (because it is plastic). I added Tamiya Black Panel to the recess and let it dry. I added a 2nd coat and let it dry. When satisfied with the painted recesses, I painted the rest of the Air Filter with flat black.

The filter insert was painted in a light tan and pin washed with Tamiya Brown and Black Panel Liner for effect.

Some basic ideas to add to the model. You do not need to spend a lot of money to make major modifications. The minor basic modification are perfect for an engine of this size.

Please look for my added posts in the future on how the engine bay came out.
bojazz attached the following image(s):
20190824_142321.jpg
20190824_141945.jpg
20190824_142026.jpg
20190824_142042.jpg
20190824_142015.jpg
admin
#2 Posted : 24 August 2019 23:59:49

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

The engine looks great! It’s really amazing what a few, simple changes will do to up a build, all without engaging in any parts modification at all.
Gandale
#3 Posted : 28 August 2019 16:10:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome to the forum Bojazz, great to have you aboard...Cool Cool .. Really nice work on your Mustang, she certainly pops....BigGrin BigGrin

It would help greatly if you were to resize your pics, they are too large and don't show up on your post. This forces members to have to download the images in order to view them. Pics should be no larger than 650 x 480 pixels, 150kb file size. JPG format is fine...

Look forward to seeing more of your work...

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#4 Posted : 28 August 2019 17:14:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looking great so far.
The extra details really make a difference on this kit.

As mentioned though, try to keep your pics under 150kb or nobody will see them without actually having to download them onto their computer/phone/tablet - whatever...

Have fun with the build
All the best, Roy