Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Victory's flags Options
Iminaright2an8
#1 Posted : 06 September 2019 18:50:09

Groups: Registered

After 3 years (where did the time go!?) I am in the final stretch of my build and I was looking ahead to the final issues that supplies the flags. Oh my, what can I say? paper flags! and only 3 flags are supplied for the "England expects every man will do his duty" message. I think the 3 flags spell out "England". This is such a shame, spending all that time to end up putting paper flags on the Victory.
Does anyone know if there's a supplier anywhere that does cloth flags?
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 06 September 2019 19:18:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi if you google Cornwall Model Boats they have signal flags for the Victory Cool
Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
GilShapley
#3 Posted : 07 September 2019 10:25:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Few years since I completed My Victory. Took me about the same time.

For the "England Expects" flags I decided not to add them to the build, this was my first build and I was not to sure how they would work out or where to position them. In the end I downloaded a copy of the signal into publisher and using the flip option was able to construct double sided flags. You can resize to suit. These I then displayed in a separate part of my display case.

Whilst doing this I also created a number of flags which I then rolled up and filled the signal locker at the stern on the Victory.

There is a lot of info on the signal and copies of the flags on the internet

Pictures attached
GilShapley attached the following image(s):
Flags 2.jpg
Flag Locker.jpg
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
darbyvet
#4 Posted : 07 September 2019 14:26:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Gil,
did you post a build diary ? I would love to see your Victory.

Carl

Iminaright2an8
#5 Posted : 09 September 2019 18:43:56

I googled Cornwall model boats but the site couldn't be reached but I did find them on facebook so I will look into it.
The sheer number of the 'England expects" flags may look out of place on a model ship. I like the idea of displaying them in a corner of the display case, I'll give that some thought because with the flags being such an iconic Trafalgar moment I definitely want to have them displayed somewhere.
I didn't post a build diary and I wish I had because forum members could have pointed out any mistakes and being a first time builder mistakes were made! some were spotted and corrected, some just had to be left because the build was too far advanced and it would have meant major reconstructive work. My thinking was only another model'er would spot the errors and the build had to be enjoyable putting one's own stamp on it. If it became a chore it would never get finished.
Thanks for the advice, It really is appreciated. I couldn't have built the Victory without the guidance of this forum.
z8000783
#6 Posted : 09 September 2019 20:00:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Plymouth57
#7 Posted : 10 September 2019 20:47:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi there Iminaright2an8!
I have the same problem with trying to get on the Cornwall Model Boats site. I've dealt with them successfully in the past but since then google have stopped supporting windows XP and vista and I think that's why I can no longer get onto their website (a couple of other retail sites are also unavailable too!)Cursing
One other way to get your flags would be to make your own. Either download a jpeg of the complete set or use a graphics program to make them up (I used good old Corel Printhouse to design a red ensign, Union Jack (without the diagonal red stripes) and mainmast pennant for my Constructo Grimsby frigate).
Once designed, reduce the flags to the size you need and print them onto inkjet iron on T-shirt transfer paper. Cut them out and iron on to a thin cotton material (like a hankie for example) and then cut out. If you design them as a strip with both sides of the flag down a common centre line you can iron one half down the edge of the cotton then fold the other half over and iron that on the other side to create a complete set of flags.
More work involved but cheaper!Cool BigGrin

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Iminaright2an8
#8 Posted : 11 September 2019 12:56:17

Yes, the problem accessing that boat site is at my end - I'm running on Windows Vista, but thanks for the link John I'll pop into the library when I'm in town and log on there to have a look at it.
I did have what I thought at the time was a silly idea - printing a photo of all the flags and taking them to a T-shirt company to see if they would print them on both sides of the cloth for me, but they would never have been able to align both sides accurately.
Plymouth's clever idea of doing them as a strip with both sides of the flag down a common centre line would solve that problem but I'd never even thought of being able to do it all myself with iron-on transfer paper. Thanks for the tip.
GilShapley
#9 Posted : 13 September 2019 11:30:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Found this file on my PC whilst looking for something else.

You may be able to do something with this

Gil
File Attachment(s):
england_expects-2.gif (344kb) downloaded 31 time(s).
Current Build:-
[color=blue]Stash Avro Lancaster (Full Kit)plus some extra issues I picked up at a good price
[color=blue]Built:- Norman Catapult by Mantua,Roman Catapult by Mantua,HMS Victory,HMS Victory XSection,Focker DB1,Bismark,English Carronade Titanic Lifeboat,American Civil War Gatling,Hummer,Sopwith Camel F1,Occre Jupiter ,OcCre Wagon, Latina Arab Dhow, Eaglemass Orrery OcCre Rogers 119 [color=red][color=red]RB7,OcCre Missippi River Boat, Model Airways Fokker DR1
OcCre London L>C>C 106 Ugears Scrambler, Ugears Hexapod Explorer UGears Off-Road Vehicle
Plymouth57
#10 Posted : 13 September 2019 20:16:05

Thanks a lot for that Gil! I've saved the file for future use myself!BigGrin
One thing that strikes me as odd is why it takes three flags to spell out "England" - why not just have a mini England cross of St George flag and do it in one!Blink

Thanks again!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1