Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<34567>
Artesania Latina cutty sark Options
z8000783
#81 Posted : 12 January 2020 13:25:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Beautiful work, Ken. Really enjoying this build.

OldMart
#82 Posted : 16 January 2020 10:58:24

Groups: Registered

Hi Ken. I have been looking at your build and find it fascinating with a wealth of knowledge, would it be ok to pm you about the waterways overhang that you mentioned, as I am somewhat confused, being totally new to this game. I probably should have chosen a smaller project for my first real build. lol.
Kind Regards Marin. "oldmart"
kpnuts
#83 Posted : 16 February 2020 17:06:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sorry for the late reply marin, you can pm me about any subject I'm happy to answer. I am fairly new to these type kits also (although I have scratch built a few ships in the past which probably helps)
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
kpnuts
#84 Posted : 16 February 2020 17:10:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ps I will be back on this soon, sorry been preoccupied with other (frustrating models of late)
mogwai
#85 Posted : 16 February 2020 19:08:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looking really good,coming along well, look forward to your next update cheers mick. BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
kpnuts
#86 Posted : 04 March 2020 21:59:33

Ok so I'm back on this, first thing to sort is something that's been bugging me since I noticed it in the photos (didn't notice it on the actual thing for some reason) the cowls the anchor chains go into (sorry dont know what they're called) are not the same distances from the hold frame.

So sorted that (disguising the old hole was a pain but I dont think it notices now)

Personally I think this is a great kit (I know some people say otherwise) I dont know anything about the other kit as I've not built them but I'm not too worried about accuracy so i not too bothered about whether it's the right hull lines or too wide, whatever.

They give you ample material to build her (up till now since my brother stripped the planking off and I stripped all the decking off) they give you nearly enough to build her twice, i only had to buy 10 strips of decking to finish that off and have not had to buy any of the side planking and still have loads left over the quality of the materials is top notch my only slight complaint is the instructions are quite confusing (that said they give you a full size high quality photo of the finished model so you can measure and check off that) 
delboy271155
#87 Posted : 04 March 2020 23:33:17

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Ken, BigGrin

From what you started with to where you are now I think you have done an amazing job, especially as this is not your normal genre of build.

If at the end of your build the only slight inaccuracy is the chains being a couple of mm out, then it can be classed as a booming success.

WTG and keep up the great work.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

kpnuts
#88 Posted : 08 March 2020 20:47:35

Hi all more work done on this.

kpnuts
#89 Posted : 11 March 2020 21:59:32

More work on her, the forward cabins were very confusing.

The steps were a pain to fit and to be honest they couldn't be used anyway, look where they are you would have to get round the belaying pins and anyway they come out under the poop deck (incidentally that is exactly where the instructions tell you to put them.

delboy271155
#90 Posted : 11 March 2020 23:57:19

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Ken, BigGrin

That ladder position looks mighty strange.

I just done a quick search and found the picture attached below of the Cutty Sark ladders to the poop deck.

Not sure if this help or add confusion to the situation. Hope it the first.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
Sark poop deck ladders.jpg

kpnuts
#91 Posted : 12 March 2020 07:30:59

Well at least they make sense there.
delboy271155
#92 Posted : 12 March 2020 16:42:21

kpnuts wrote:
Well at least they make sense there.

Hi Ken, BigGrin

They certainly do make more sense in that position, but the more astonishing thing is that there are no belay pins at the top of either stairway on the real thing.

I`ve had a look through my assembly manual and I can`t see anywhere that those belay`s are used anywhere for the rigging. Confused Confused Unless you have seen anything different?

When/if I ever get around to building this one, I think I would do a small reshape of the forecastle deck to accommodate the stairways and leave out the belays.

Which ever way you decide to go I wish you happy days building the rest of this stunning ship. You have done a great job so far considering what you started with.

WTG Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

kpnuts
#93 Posted : 12 March 2020 18:51:02

Thanks Derek I did consider moving them but it would require major work, the winch is far too wide (the steps should be inside that curve either side of the winch) as you can see the winch is the full width of that space. I did consider moving them to the straight bit on the outside but then they would foul the cabins which go there, in the end I decided I'm not going for accuracy anyway (just as well since when you really study it there are loads of errors in the kit) I'm just going for a nice wooden kit that resembles the actual ship.
I still think she will look good.
kpnuts
#94 Posted : 12 March 2020 22:00:02

Hi well I've got the latrines and the latrines pump done, this is such a major undertaking I can see at least another 2 yrs in this kit.

kpnuts
#95 Posted : 15 March 2020 18:57:00

Done some of the panels round the top rails and made a start on the bowsprit, even added the figurehead.

kpnuts
#96 Posted : 18 March 2020 21:51:17

More done on the bowsprit a start on the dreaded rigging (all be it a very very tiny start)

kpnuts
#97 Posted : 21 March 2020 21:22:42

Hi all let me start this update by saying (in the politest possible way)

F$%# b%$$/%% hell.

Let me explain.*

I do my modeling in the spare bedroom, I lay a piece of vinyl down on the floor immediately round my work bench and on top of the bench I put the container with all the brass pieces on the bed behind me after removing some parts needed for my next bit of work I set to adding some of the stanchions on the bow and heard this noise as if a plastic container of billions of bits had fallen on the floor, imagine my surprise when turning round to find that is exactly what had happened and of course as it was BEHIND me and not around the vinyl protection area it had fallen on a shag pile carpet, of course the lid came off. So after moving the bed (carpet was under it) shaking the carpet out I got this.

And after several hours 

This

So on with the update.

I'm really chuffed with how it's going (I should point out check ALL the stanchinons BEFORE gluing them in place as some of the holes are not clear and removing and drilling them after they are glued in place is no easy task.

tf64
#98 Posted : 21 March 2020 21:52:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Shaping up nicely Ken after all the effort you have put in well done

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Markwarren
#99 Posted : 22 March 2020 09:43:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Ken,, taking shape very nicely.Love Drool

Mark
kpnuts
#100 Posted : 22 March 2020 20:18:14

Hi all was about to start on the fore mast, but then thought I better sort all the lower stuff before going in an upwards direction.

So first I thought about the problem of doing the portholes heres my answer to getting them all in the right place.

Then to  do the rudder.