Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages 123>»
Star Trek USS Enterprise 1701 Build Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 08 October 2019 20:34:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi all.

As soon as I have all the electronics in place, I will be starting this build. Back to me building spaceships again and this one I have been looking at for some time, and it’s not Star Wars. I had looked at the Polar Lights kits, but the larger version was too big at 1:350 scale and the smaller one was very small. The Revell versions comes out somewhere in between, measuring around 50cm in length. I have also bought photo etch parts.
I will be doing the full electronics with this one, with rotating nacelles, lighting and detailed bridge and shuttle bay from the PE. The plan is to have a shuttle leaving the bay in flight, as well as having various sound effects, well that’s the plan.Cool

Coming soon.

Mark
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 01.jpg
Photo 02.jpg
Photo 03.jpg
Photo 04.jpg
Photo 07.jpg
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 08 October 2019 20:45:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Oh this is going to be EPIC.Will definitely be following this one

Carl

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 08 October 2019 20:51:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Looks interesting will be followingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

skyfire
#4 Posted : 09 October 2019 06:07:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This sounds like fun.
Steve1701
#5 Posted : 09 October 2019 09:34:02

Groups:

will be watching this, looks a very interesting build.
tigerace
#6 Posted : 09 October 2019 15:45:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Mark i also have this kit with the etch and lightsDrool Drool will be followingBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#7 Posted : 09 October 2019 20:03:35

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thanks guys.Cool

This one will be very testing, trying to work out what parts to paint first as all the electronics need to be placed inside first.

Gandale
#8 Posted : 09 October 2019 22:48:40

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Count me in as a follower Mark, good luck with it, am sure it will be to your usual very high standards....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
admin
#9 Posted : 10 October 2019 01:24:59

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Excellent! I’ve got the 350 TOS and the Refit in the stash, but as you say, they are BIG! I DO have the Kelvin with a basic bit of electronics, PE, and resin detail bits for. I’ve been procrastinating on the start, so maaaybeee this will get me motivated.
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 20 October 2019 16:12:14

I have been planning this build so I know what I need as well as know how it will all come together. I will not be using the supplied stand as this will be on a base with a lot of electronics inserted into the base as well as the model itself.
The first thought was to have a mirrored base, but I found a schematic picture of the Enterprise and printed this onto some acrylic which will now be the base for this kit. It will also be raised with lighting underneath to backlight the whole schematics.
The last picture is me holding it up to the room light to give some idea of the backlit feature.

Starting very soon.ThumpUp

Mark
Photo 08.jpg
Photo 09.jpg
Photo 10.jpg
Photo 11.jpg
Steve1701
#11 Posted : 20 October 2019 16:19:10

Groups:

that look great, funny i was looking at one on ebay, would like to see more of what you are going to do and the cost. here is a photo of the one i was looking at.
Steve1701 attached the following image(s):
rsz_s-l1600.jpg
Markwarren
#12 Posted : 20 October 2019 17:29:44

Thanks Steve, I decided to go with the Revell kit without the lighting and sound as I wanted to put my own sound effects and additional lighting in. So I will do something similar to my Podracer build.
The cost by the time I’ve finishing will be quite high, but then that includes the case.

Regards
Mark
arpurchase
#13 Posted : 20 October 2019 18:15:23

BigGrin Nice start Mark and looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

birdaj2
#14 Posted : 20 October 2019 20:28:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks to be an interesting project you have lined up Mark.

I had a "play" a few years ago with trying to get a lighting set up put together. It was all build from an online plan using veroboard, but as it was rather large it would have needed to be built into a base.

Much better things can be done these days with boards like the arduino but out of my skill level.

Still have a couple of links i put onto youtube some time ago that shows a little of the board i was playing with. It had the static, strobe, flashing and spinning engline lights all running off the same board.

https://youtu.be/03eNHMcTlCM

https://youtu.be/5d_IzhWshSQ

Very impressed with how you have printed up that acrylic back panel cannot even begin to work out how you did that but it looks very nice indeed.

Hope your project starts off and continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#15 Posted : 21 October 2019 08:32:42

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Can see you're putting a great deal of thought into this build Mark, think it is going to look amazing when done.. Look forward to seeing it come together, especially how the electronics will be connected up.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#16 Posted : 21 October 2019 17:05:18

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Are you going to use a EL panel to backlight the base?It will give you a nice even illumination.

Carl

Markwarren
#17 Posted : 21 October 2019 20:26:37

Thanks for the comments guys.

Carl, I will be using LED strip lighting. The underside of the acrylic board will have a white defuser. The size of the EL panel I would need is also be very expensive and as I have miles and miles of LED strip, thought I would use those.Laugh

Cheers
Mark
Markwarren
#18 Posted : 17 November 2019 16:08:06

I have started getting some of the components soldered. There are quite a few as well as lots of LED’s to be made up. For those who are tempted to have a go with a project but not sure of there soldering skills, I have put some pictures up to help. The main rule is to have a hot iron, hold it to the area where the solder is to be applied, then apply the solder and once the joint has enough solder to make a nice join, remove both the solder and iron.

I have made up a few of the components including the Adafruit sound board, which I will show in detail how to programme later in the build.

Photo 12.jpg
Photo 13.jpg
Photo 14.jpg
Photo 15.jpg
Photo 16.jpg
Photo 17.jpg
Photo 18.jpg
Photo 19.jpg
Photo 20.jpg
Photo 22.jpg
Photo 23.jpg
Photo 24.jpg
Photo 25.jpg
Photo 26.jpg
Photo 27.jpg
Photo 28.jpg
Photo 29.jpg
Markwarren
#19 Posted : 17 November 2019 16:11:06

I have also painted the interior of the model. First, a coat of primer was applied, then black to stop any light bleed and finally silver to give a reflective surface.
I will be fitting all the components first before painting the hull, lots of window to mask off.Crying

The last few pictures show the base on which the Enterprise will sit. As you can see the top part comes off to reveal a hollow base where some of the electronics will go, other smaller components will be in the model itself.
The last picture shows the schematics which will be raised slightly with underlighting.

More soon.

Photo 30.jpg
Photo 31.jpg
Photo 34.jpg
Photo 33.jpg
Photo 32.jpg
darbyvet
#20 Posted : 17 November 2019 16:39:54

Very cool.I see the IR relay board, the adafruit sound unit, 2 voltage converters and some custom boards which I assume are to control the LEDS and a power distribution board.Will be watching this with great interest.Where did you get the graphic for the base.It looks amazing.

Carl