Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages <12345>»
Star Trek USS Enterprise 1701 Build Options
Plymouth57
#41 Posted : 24 January 2020 00:52:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Coser!
I'd always thought of the Enterprise as a Constitution Class too but apparently the original TV series classification was a "Starship Class" vessel. This was changed to Constitution Class when the fan based "Star Fleet Manual" came out in the '70's (with Gene Rodenberry's blessing). I used to play the FASA Star Fleet battle war games in my youth (I was the Klingons - better looking ships!)and all the FASA manuals called her a Constitution class.

Fantastic work Mark! The last time I touched an Enterprise it was the original AMT? kit (or was it Aurora?) must be 45 yrs old now at least. None of your details on it, solid moulded windows with provision built in to add old fashioned light bulbs to the nacelles behind the orange transparent domes!(And a clear dome over the bridge)
Loving this build!Cool

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Markwarren
#42 Posted : 24 January 2020 14:18:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Coser wrote:
Loving the build so far. I am generally no use whatsoever at electronics, so will be watching this intently from now on.

However, I do have one question.

Wasn't the Enterprise of Kirk's era a Constitution class starship?

Gary

Many thanks for your comments Gary.BigGrin
A few years ago I wouldn't have even considered putting electronics in or even making my own. My knowlege is still very basic, but that is all you need for most models. YouTube can be a wonderful place for help.

Mark
Markwarren
#43 Posted : 24 January 2020 14:19:29

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Plymouth57 wrote:

Fantastic work Mark! The last time I touched an Enterprise it was the original AMT? kit (or was it Aurora?) must be 45 yrs old now at least. None of your details on it, solid moulded windows with provision built in to add old fashioned light bulbs to the nacelles behind the orange transparent domes!(And a clear dome over the bridge)
Loving this build!Cool

Robin.

Many thanks Robin for you comments.BigGrin

Mark
Markwarren
#44 Posted : 26 January 2020 18:47:32

This next stage was to assemble the nacelles. The first thing was to paint the interiors of the dome front with a translucent orange. This was made up of 5 parts orange, 1-part red. The main front dome was frosted on the inside before painting. Very light coats of paint were applied to give an even finish. Then some etch brass inserts were place in the inner dome. This will highlight them better than just the original part provided.
Next, I made up the nacelles by placing the lighting in first, a quick test on the lighting was done with a 9v battery, although it just lit up the LED’s without the lighting effect. Before attaching the etched brass components, I sanded down the seams, adding some filler in places where necessary. The final part was to add the main structure placing the cables through them carefully. The last two pictures show the inner dome and the final one is the outer dome in place.
Lastly, I hooked up the cables to the mother board I made earlier to test the lighting effect. There is also a button on the board to give variants of the lighting effect, this will be programmed in its final stages.

A quick video of the Bussard lighting is below. Just press on the link.

Bussard Lighting Video

More soon

MarkCool
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
IMG_5223.jpg
IMG_5224.jpg
IMG_5225.jpg
IMG_5226.jpg
IMG_5230.jpg
IMG_5231.jpg
IMG_5232.jpg
IMG_5237.jpg
IMG_5233.jpg
IMG_5234.jpg
IMG_5235.jpg
Plymouth57
#45 Posted : 26 January 2020 22:03:27

Lovely job Mark - loved the video test, Scotty would be proud!BigGrin I think on my ancient Enterprise the nacelle struts were individuals with a section protruding into the hull and fixed in place by a wedge shaped peg stuck through a blooming great hole! Things have evolved by the look of it!Cool

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Gandale
#46 Posted : 26 January 2020 23:59:39

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

All looking very impressive Mark, the electronics are going to make this a very special display piece.... Am enjoying following this one very much.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#47 Posted : 27 January 2020 08:57:44

Thank you Robin and Alan, really getting stuck into this now.BigGrin Cool

Mark
darbyvet
#48 Posted : 27 January 2020 15:56:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

looks great so far.The bussard lighting is really cool.

Carl

Markwarren
#49 Posted : 27 January 2020 20:18:01

Thanks CarlCool, a little more to do in the programming of the lighting effect and some additional colouring inside.

Mark
Markwarren
#50 Posted : 03 February 2020 21:09:52

The next stage of the build was to finish attaching some of the etch brass to the main hull areas. The impulse engine grill gets better detailing than the supplied part. I also cut away two areas on the inside where the lighting will be. The next stage was the shuttle bay hanger. This was not easy and lots of tiny parts to piece together as well as painting before most of the construction was done. The main outer parts were soldered to give a strong bond holding the whole thing together. The main hull where this will be placed had to be altered, cutting away sections to accommodate the hanger. Further structure will need to be made and inserted to hold this in place but allowing all cables and lighting effects to move freely when the final assembly is done. Not panicking really.Crying
The paper covering the hanger in the picture is what came with the decal sheet. This is great to use for defusing the light internally giving an even light all round.
Oh, and I will have a scaled shuttle craft leaving the hanger in flight when all done. I like a challenge.BigGrin

More soon
Photo 68.jpg
Photo 67.jpg
Photo 69.jpg
Photo 70.jpg
Photo 71.jpg
Photo 72.jpg
Photo 73.jpg
Photo 74.jpg
Photo 75.jpg
darbyvet
#51 Posted : 04 February 2020 00:07:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Amazing as always. The shuttle will be TINY.

Carl

CaptnBirdseye
#52 Posted : 04 February 2020 08:50:54

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

OhMyGod Love Drool That detail is amazing
Well done so farThumpUp
Steve1701
#53 Posted : 04 February 2020 13:55:31

Groups:

Incredible detail mark. Are you taking orders. Can't wait to see it finished. BigGrin
Markwarren
#54 Posted : 04 February 2020 14:34:46

darbyvet wrote:
Amazing as always. The shuttle will be TINY.

Carl

Thanks Carl, I'm going to need a very big magnifying glass.LOL
Markwarren
#55 Posted : 04 February 2020 14:36:01

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
OhMyGod Love Drool That detail is amazing
Well done so farThumpUp

Thanks Graham
I have also given myself a lot of extra work doing the extras.BigGrin

Mark
Markwarren
#56 Posted : 04 February 2020 14:37:02

Steve1701 wrote:
Incredible detail mark. Are you taking orders. Can't wait to see it finished. BigGrin

Thanks Steve

Lets see how this turns out, before I take any orders.LOL LOL

Mark
Gandale
#57 Posted : 04 February 2020 23:36:58

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

The work on that shuttle bay is outstanding Mark, amazing work....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#58 Posted : 15 February 2020 17:37:59

Many thanks for your comments Alan.

This time around I have cut away section of the hull, which will accommodate the wiring and shuttle bay. The frame has also been cut as well as the support, which holds the Enterprise on the base. Strip lighting will be installed inside the main hull interior, along with the main power, Bussard lighting cables and cables between the hull and the saucer section that attach to the flash and fade circuit boards.
The other issue I have had, is the rear flashing lights which are over the top of the shuttle bay. These would normally take a 5mm LED, however, once the shuttle bay is in position, there is no room as all. In fact, there is barely half a millimetre to play with and once I have added the paper to defuse the lighting it will be a tight fit.
So out came the SMD’s. I experimented using these and wired one up to the flash unit and all worked perfectly. The last pictures show the SMD in place where it fits directly under the light panel on the hull. I have placed a pin by the side of the SMD to show just how small these are and how difficult they are to solder. You’ll be pleased to know my eyes have gone back to their normal position. LOL I have also cut the rear door part to show it in the opening position.
Photo 77.jpg
Photo 78.jpg
Photo 79.jpg
Photo 80.jpg
Photo 81.jpg
Photo 85.jpg
Photo 86.jpg
Photo 87.jpg
Markwarren
#59 Posted : 15 February 2020 17:40:11

Before the windows and lighting are put into place, I have given the body parts a coat of paint. These will be allowed to dry and lightly sanded before a second coat applied.
There is a lot of speculation as to what colour the hull is. I have studied the paint on the original prop model and used my own interpretation of it. After many trials of different greys adding other colours, I finally came up with my preferred option. All the paints I have used are the Vallejo Air range.
The three paints that made up the final hull colour are:
Pale Blue 71.008 10%
Aluminium 71.062 10%
White Grey 71.119 80%
I was quite pleased with the outcome.

More soon
Photo 82.jpg
Photo 83.jpg
Photo 84.jpg
Gandale
#60 Posted : 15 February 2020 23:50:27

Excellent work Mark, think you've got the colour spot on....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan