Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

XWing Questions Options
MorganUK
#1 Posted : 12 October 2019 22:03:40

Groups: Registered

So happily building my Falcon, and considering subbing to this whilst its fresh and their will be no stress over pieces and stockpile them

Questions

1) Does it have the same quality of frame as the falcon, steel / aluminium etc or is i more of a glorified airfix. I know its big but I would still want the same 'construction' experience To ask another way, I DO think the falcon was worth the money I paid, for someone reading this who has both the falcon and XWing do you ALSO think the XWing is worth the money If you think the falcon was worth it

2) The PREMIUM subscription will work out at an extra £99 ... but from what I can see this is literally for 5-6 tiny models which are in NO way worth that extra markup.. or am I missing something?

3) Will there be any problems with a UK sub.. the falcon was an utter nightmare which resulted in my buying someone else's (unopened) collection and selling off the 16 magazines I managed to get from MS. True answers pleased, not sales speak. I want to trust Model Space / Daegostini.. but am rightly worried (IMO)

darbyvet
#2 Posted : 13 October 2019 00:50:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I will try to answer your questions, but you did ask subjective questions and are likely to receive subjective answers. For full disclosure I am a Model Space forum support team member, but these are my own opinions.

The X-wing does have a metal frame based on the parts I have received so far (up to month 11). The plastic parts are prepainted and the standard of that painting I think is a bit better than the Falcon, but as with the falcon I suspect some will choose to repaint.

I opted for the premium , but I am in USA so I am not sure if the extras are the same as in the UK release. If you dont feel the extra cost justifies what you get you are under no obligation to choose the premium subscription

As far as asking will there be problems I am sure you cant expect anyone to predict the future.I have received all of my months on time so far.

So far most of the parts I have received are for the 4 wings and some cockpit parts. There is some light leak with the cannons and R2, but these were easy fixes.

It is an impressive size and likely will be quite heavy and solid once finished.
Carl
Andreas
#3 Posted : 13 October 2019 10:08:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Forum Support Team Germany, registriert, Administrator, Official Builds, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Tech Support

I poke at what Carl has already mentioned. I'm already at issue 70, meaning all 4 wings are done, and the cockpit frame is complete. At the moment I am mounting the transmission for the drive. All 4 wings are mounted on steel rods. The X-Wing has a sturdy frame construction like the Falcon. The panels are not only plugged, but also screwed. every one of the 4 wings are reinforced with metal frames. This ensures stability. The X-wing has a considerable weight at the end, as stability must be guaranteed. The panels on the X-Wing are pre-painted with the features that each X-Wing had. All in all, this will be a great model. Also, several modifications are possible. There is enough space to accommodate a lot. The pictures show you the dimensions of the model.

must have!!BigGrin BigGrin

Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/
MorganUK
#4 Posted : 13 October 2019 20:40:22

Appreciate the answers, they are in line with what I was looking for.

My main concern is that the millenium falcon was by its very nature SUPER detailed with 100's and 100's of greeblies and LOTS to do. The detail was off the scale. Its just taken me best part of 4 hours just to put the top hull together and that is JUSt the frames, and panels

never mind the detailing, the painting, the 'recess' details

As a smaller ship, the xwing there appears to be (watching some videos) only half (or less) as much 'work' to do on this xwing for them same (or more with premium).

The packs seem to contain very little in terms of modelling enjoyment

The end piece, of course, looks amazing as we expect from deagostini

The MF feels like a £900 model, the xwing look like it should be half the price even though the size is comparable.

I will have to give it some though, many thanks
1000Droids
#5 Posted : 19 November 2019 20:47:44

Does anyone have some tips on painting the Life Support Console from issue 36? All black seems rather bland.
RMike35
#6 Posted : 10 June 2020 19:13:37

Hey guys,noob here but I wanted to ask a few questions about my subscription(s),I opted for the Standard 12 Month X Wing subscription,and thinking about the R2D2 one too,but my question is if my X Wing will be completed within that time period or if that is just a minimum subscription membership?

I really hope its for everything to be released so I don't have to wait 2-3 years to build it to completion.Can someone clarify?.
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 10 June 2020 22:53:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

The standard option is just for the whole kit, no extra gifts as in the figures and ground kit you get with the premium subscription. If you opted for the 12 month sub then you will receive the parts in that timeframe.

Mark
RMike35
#8 Posted : 11 June 2020 01:39:43

Thanks a million Mark,as for the Premium deal I would have liked that but it seemed a little too much on a limited budget I get each month.

As for the R2D2 my mouth is literally watering to get it but to do that would double what I pay each month,maybe after I complete the X Wing I might get that.

Finally is there any plans for them to do C3PO,it seems wrong to not have him without his buddy R2D2.
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 11 June 2020 07:57:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

RMike35 wrote:
Thanks a million Mark,as for the Premium deal I would have liked that but it seemed a little too much on a limited budget I get each month.

As for the R2D2 my mouth is literally watering to get it but to do that would double what I pay each month,maybe after I complete the X Wing I might get that.

Finally is there any plans for them to do C3PO,it seems wrong to not have him without his buddy R2D2.

Not to my knowledge. I know there are 1/2 scale models out there Of him, but you’ll pay through the nose for them.

Mark
RMike35
#10 Posted : 16 June 2020 07:36:57

Hey guys,me again and I just got my first 2 orders of the X Wing yesterday (Monday) but something odd when I got them,but the shipping boxes had stickers of 25 Months over top of the original,but clearly on my order page and email notification I ordered this for 12 Months.

So did my order get mixed up with someone elses or did they make a mistake and put me down for 25 Months,which I don't want I only want the 12 Month option.Please let me know.Thanks.
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 16 June 2020 07:59:40

Unfortunately we don’t have access to accounts or subscriptions information on the forum. Your first port of call would be to contact C/S with your query. Just have your sub details to hand when calling.

Mark
RMike35
#12 Posted : 16 June 2020 10:33:28

Hey Mark, I just realized because each one had Month 1 and Month 2 it was for the 12 Month Subscription,otherwise I would have only got 1 Package,sorry for wasting a post.

Oh and one issue with pack 2 but the thin rod that went into the wing edge never would go into the slots so I had to glue it in but other than that no problems.
tschwand
#13 Posted : 18 June 2020 03:55:13

RMike35. If you are talking about that long piece that plugs into the wing edge, then it does fit but is very difficult to get in. So far that is one of the most difficult pieces to fit. It does snap in but you need a lot of force with a thin tool like the handle of your screwdriver. On your question about the R2D2, it looks amazing but there are a lot of problems with functionality, so you may not get as much enjoyment out of the finished piece. IMHO
1000Droids
#14 Posted : 27 July 2020 20:18:09

Issue 62 has a black part "F". I understand it has been replaced with a clear part to fit the Center Control Panel. Can anyone tell me which issue the clear "Part F" comes in? Or was it supposed to be supplied in issue 62? I didn't get any help on this from the help line.
Markwarren
#15 Posted : 28 July 2020 07:41:06

1000Droids wrote:
Issue 62 has a black part "F". I understand it has been replaced with a clear part to fit the Center Control Panel. Can anyone tell me which issue the clear "Part F" comes in? Or was it supposed to be supplied in issue 62? I didn't get any help on this from the help line.

Part “F” is a clear part and does come with issue 62 as you can see in the official build log, link below.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/...aspx?g=posts&t=33368

It could have got easily missed in the bag as it is very small.

Hope that helps.

Mark