Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Laszlo's Victory X-Section Diary Options
gingerale75
#1 Posted : 21 October 2019 20:03:14

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello ship modellers,

I finished my HMS Victory build and after some consideration I decided that the display can't be complete without the cross-section.
So the kit was ordered and after three weeks of waiting to get it back to stock, today it finally arrived.

All pieces seems to be in place, will start build it soon.

I hope you'll follow and enjoy my diary.
In case you haven't seen/followed my Victory build diary, you can find it here:
My HMS Victory Diary

I hope I will enjoy the build of the x-section as much as I enjoyed the build of complete ship and the outcome will be at least as good... Cool
gingerale75 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0064.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 21 October 2019 20:10:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cool Nice one and will be watchingCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Erik A
#3 Posted : 21 October 2019 21:08:27

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

also watching this one BigGrin
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Gandale
#4 Posted : 22 October 2019 08:08:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Look forward to following this, am sure it'll be a great success.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with the build.....

Regards

Alan
Garth
#5 Posted : 25 October 2019 07:25:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Laszlo,
I also have this kit stashed.
Really look forward to following your build. Good luck!!!
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
gingerale75
#6 Posted : 03 November 2019 12:08:49

Hello guys,

thanks for the good comments, even if I haven't started the build yet. BigGrin

Well... actually I started yesterday. Cool Cool

Cut the rib pieces out from the laser cut panels.
I laminated the rib plan instead of protecting it with cling film.

Also as an experiment, I started to use Super Phatic Aliphatic glue instead of PVA.
It dries quicker and penetrates better, especially in the laser cut pieces.
Works fantastic for me.

All seven ribs assembled.

Finally I found a good use of my son's Lego bricks. LOL LOL LOL

I made a jig which helps to glue to ribs to the keel all square and vertical.
The layers of the bricks on the two side towers also help to ensure that the rib is level.
IMG_0071.jpg
IMG_0072.jpg
IMG_0073.jpg
IMG_0074.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Markwarren
#7 Posted : 03 November 2019 18:52:40

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice start.Love
The Lego brick have to stay...LOL

Mark
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 03 November 2019 19:01:53

BigGrin Looking good and nice startCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#9 Posted : 03 November 2019 23:41:39

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Good to see you up and running and looks like you're off to a great start.... will be watching....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#10 Posted : 04 November 2019 08:03:49

BigGrin Looking forward to this Cool nice start
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
gingerale75
#11 Posted : 04 November 2019 17:47:33

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Yesterday evening I assembled the ribs and let it dry overnight.
Today I sanded the end of the dowels flush and started to add the outer plankings.

Hint: I glued an extra pillar to the fret which is working as a spacer (see guide). With the extra pillar on each side, the rib assembly is stable when turned upside down for the planking.
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0076.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#12 Posted : 07 November 2019 01:35:43

Hello All,

Good progress in the last two days:
- Display stand assembled
- Before I started to plank the inside, I sorted the strips. There were few strips which are darker, I guess they are another type of wood. I took the darker strips out because the hold area will be stained, and I want more or less the same stained shade which might be impossible if the darker strips used.
I use them for the outer planking because it will be painted, so darker strips don't matter.
- Inside of the hold area planked
- Outside fully planked
- Made the mast step and with my well established vertical lathe method (LOL LOL Cool) I tapered the mast
- Pump well and shot locker assembled.
Hint: As the edge of the cutout on the wall will be visible, I slightly sanded the edge all around, just enough to remove some of the charring (and hide the signs of the laser cut) but keep it dark brown enough to approx. match the colour of the oak veneer covering the walls later on. I done the same with the door inner edge, which also will be visible if the door will be left open (yet undecided).
- Added the last few strip of planking below the support brackets.

P.S. In case anybody wondered how do I progress so quick, the answer is simple... I'm on annual leave this week, so I work on the model 10-12 hours a day. Cool Cool Cool
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0080.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0086.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0089.jpg
IMG_0091.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Markwarren
#13 Posted : 07 November 2019 09:03:06

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Certainly cracking on with this, looking excellent.Love

Mark
gingerale75
#14 Posted : 09 November 2019 21:16:11

Hello All,

Progress over the last two days:

- riders assembled and all fitted. There are more clips than riders. LOL LOL LOL Like a X-mas tree... LOL LOL LOL
- Filled the gaps between the planks with wood putty then sanded smooth.
- Cut the pump openings and made the shallow holes for the elm tree pumps.
Hint: I used two different drill bits. One normal HSS and one for wood with the pointy centre. If I would use only the normal one then the centre of it would go through the plank before the edge is able to make the 5mm shallow hole.
Hence I used carefully both, the normal one cut the centre of the hole while the wood bit cut the outer part without making the centre part deeper. With this I was able to make a completely flat bottom.
- Mast step and limber boards fitted... it was very fiddly to fit the two tiny pieces next to the mast step but finally managed it. Cool
IMG_0092.jpg
IMG_0093.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg
IMG_0096.jpg
IMG_0097.jpg
IMG_0098.jpg
IMG_0099.jpg
IMG_0101.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Markwarren
#15 Posted : 10 November 2019 10:22:32

Very neat and tidy work, looking excellent.Love Drool Drool

Mark
gingerale75
#16 Posted : 14 November 2019 21:27:54

Hello All,

Progress of the last few days:

- Stained the hold to dark oak.
- Glued the pump well in place and fitted the oak veneer planks.... wow they are fairly brittle piece of woods... Blink
- Now waiting for the last side (front) to dry fully before I can sand the veneer for the irregular cutout shape.

In the meantime some goodies arrived:
- Seven different colour waterbased wood stains. These are for the barrels and the chests. I don't want them all the same colour, so ordered different shades of brown: Jacobean Oak, Teak, Rosewood, Walnut, Black, Medium Oak, Dark Oak.
- Round display base. It will be stained to the same colour as the ship display cabinet frame. And YESSSS.... the base will rotate at 1 RPM to able to show the cross section all around... Cool I guess nobody expected a stationary display knowing what I've done with the cabinet... LOL LOL LOL The cross section will just fit in the corner at the bowsprit.
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0103.jpg
IMG_0104.jpg
IMG_0106.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0108.jpg
IMG_0109.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#17 Posted : 14 November 2019 21:40:56

Hi again,

Question to the experts:
Does it worth, also possible, to give one coat of the same wood stain to the oak veneer on the pump well what was used for the hold?
I don't know how does it look in the real ship but it bothers me a bit that the two colours are not looking very nice next to each other. I don't mind different shades of oak, but the oak veneer has a red-ish shade which doesn't go with the dark oak on the hold planking.
Or is it just me???
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#18 Posted : 16 November 2019 00:28:01

Ahoy Shipmates,

I done a test on a leftover oak veneer strip how does it look if one coat of the same stain applied.
It looked very good I think, so I decided to stain the whole pump well.
I like the result much better than the original red-ish shade of the supplied oak veneer.

Cannon shots spread into the lockers and as I haven't got any acrylic stain, I used few drops of superglue in each compartment to secure the shots.

Carried on the work with the door...
I didn't like the idea to use the 2mm leftover dowel for the bars in the door, for me it looks way too thick.
So I took my Dremel, a needle file and some toothpicks and using the Dremel as a mini lathe I reduced the toothpick originally 2mm diameter to approx 0.8mm.
It looks much realistic to the scale, I'll be able to fit five bars into the door window. They've been stained before cut to size.

The door has been planked with the veneer and stained on both sides.

Also made the shot locker hatches, again, added the veneer and stained.
IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0110.jpg
IMG_0111.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Markwarren
#19 Posted : 16 November 2019 09:28:57

Looking very nice indeed. Love Drool

Mark
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 16 November 2019 09:47:05

BigGrin All looking good and nice workCool