Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
Laszlo's Victory X-Section Diary Options
gingerale75
#21 Posted : 16 November 2019 20:44:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello All,

Thanks for the good comments, much appreciated.

Today was a day of precision work...

- Bars fitted into the pump well door, then the door fitted in place
- Shot locker hatches fitted with hinges, then fixed in place
- Then the issue...I noted already when I cut out the mast step parts that one of the platform supports is broken... So started with a precision puzzle to put the pieces back together with superglue to bring it back to the original state as much as possible. Done it fairly good, can't tell that it was broken... Cool
- Both of the platforms planked and stained, now waiting to dry.
gingerale75 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0116.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg
IMG_0118.jpg
IMG_0120.jpg
IMG_0119.jpg
IMG_0121.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
gingerale75
#22 Posted : 17 November 2019 22:44:32

Hello All,

Another day gone, filled with lots of precision tasks...

- Orlop beams stained and fitted
- Posts made for the pump well... two of them customised... The three at the back was OK to use the 4x4 strip as advised by the instructions... however it was too wide in both directions for the posts at the front cutout... it would block the door about 1.5mm and would protrude to some of the irregular cutout... So I took some leftover 2x3 strip from the Victory build. This size is just fit nicely in both front corner... stained and fitted them.
- Started to plank the hull of the orlop deck.
- Then I made the four gratings... nothing special, but two tiny details I paid extra attention to... the metal grating wouldn't look nice if the suggested size would be used (16x20), because one edge would be zig-zagged (cut through a row of tiny holes)... So I made it a tiny bit larger and with this I was able to file all four edges smooth to the area between the rows of holes, with the final dimension of 16x20.5... I think that 0.5mm won't bother anyone.... LOL LOL LOL
Also, I made the frame separate in order to stain both sides of the frame... I was also worried if I glue the frame to the grating first and then I try to stain it then some of the stain would creep into the tiny holes and will block them....
- Once the glue and stain dried all four gratings glued in place.

IMG_0124.jpg
IMG_0122.jpg
IMG_0123.jpg
IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0126.jpg
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Gandale
#23 Posted : 17 November 2019 23:03:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks great.... Your usual high standards being produced on this one I see....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
gingerale75
#24 Posted : 23 November 2019 15:05:45

Hello All,

Thanks Alan for your nice comment, much appreciated.

- Started to plank the orlop deck by fitting the first strip... Oh no... Crying Crying I forgot to sand the top of the beam supports flush with the beams... Cursing Cursing The result, the first strip sits tiny bit higher then the others and the second one is on a slight angle... oops, rookie mistake... Blink Blink I didn't remove the glued strip, I was worried that I'll brake off something... So I ended up sanding the top of the strip flush with the rest of the strips... Luckily I realised my error right after the first strip, so on the other side I sanded the supports flush before fitted the first strip. Cool Cool Cool well... almost, the one closest to the grating I wasn't able to sand without damaging the grating... never mind, let's sand the top of the strips...Laugh

- On the positive note, because the grating was a tiny fit longer than instructed (see my previous post), the fifth strip was dead flush with the grating, no shaping was required on this or the sixth strip... Cool Cool Cool
You might say it can come from the variation of the width of the strips... well... I don't mind... LOL LOL LOL

- Completed the orlop decking without any further issue, then sanded smooth... well, as much as I could around the gratings...

Turntable side project:
The 1 RPM motor from China arrived.Cool
I found some leftover bearings and pins from my cabinet lift mechanism, they are just the right size to be useful as a roller at the bottom of the turntable.
Now I just need to ask my friend to machine a suitable coupling to connect the motor and the base. BigGrin BigGrin

IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0131.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg
TURNTABLE_4.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Markwarren
#25 Posted : 23 November 2019 17:27:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work, you are doing a stunning job.Love Love

Mark
DaDokta
#26 Posted : 26 November 2019 13:18:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Another great build you`re producing here! Congrats so far!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Gandale
#27 Posted : 26 November 2019 22:18:21

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great and I love your idea on how this will be displayed.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
gingerale75
#28 Posted : 29 November 2019 22:38:31

Hello Guys,

Thank you for your great comments. Blushing

Here I'm again with another update:
- Orlop deck masked and stained.
- Orlop bulwark pained white.
- Orlop deck pump well assembled and planked with the oak veneer.
- Then inside stained together as well as the door.
- Regarding the bars for the door, I done the same what I done for the door of the pump well in the hold. I turned five tiny bars from toothpicks (approx 0.8mm diameter) to replace the suggested 2mm diameter dowels. It's more realistic to scale.
- The bars fitted to the door window.
- The outer side of the door and the pump well painted white.
- Door glued into pump well, pump well glued onto the deck.
- Strips stained and fitted around it.
IMG_0133.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Gandale
#29 Posted : 30 November 2019 00:19:45

Looking good, beautiful update....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#30 Posted : 30 November 2019 10:36:45

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work, you are certainly making it look easy. Love Love

Mark
gingerale75
#31 Posted : 01 December 2019 22:40:08

Hi All,

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Weekend update:
- Rider tops and knees painted and fitted. I used Lego bricks to ensure that the parts are vertical and also perpendicular to the bulwark. I also fitted the knees first, rather than the rider tops as instructed, particularly at the metal gratings. If I would fit the rider tops to the corner of the gratings first, as instructed, then the knee next to it wouldn't able to sit underneath the deck support bracket.
- Frames fitted to the pump well... wow... the corner posts were very tricky to fit.. I mean how supposed to glue a corner edge to a corner edge???... In ideal world that's just a line, nothing to grab on... also do it without any visible marks of the glue.... Blink Blink Crying Crying Crying Huh Huh Huh anyhow, managed to do it after fiddling a bit... I hope I won't knock them off because it won't be easy access to re-fit them anymore BigGrin
- Lower gun deck support beams painted and fitted... In 2-3 occasions the notches were cut too deep, so I have to stack up a bit to ensure that the top faces are flush. I used some scrap piece of oak veneer for it.

I skipped the shipmen's chests for now, I don't like to make parts in advance if they will be fitted only later on. I'm worried that they get damaged. Blushing
IMG_0144.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0143.jpg
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0147.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#32 Posted : 04 December 2019 00:38:11

Hello Guys,

Another update on Stage 15:
- Bulwarks on the lower gun deck planked
- Sanded the gun ports to the correct size and lined... this was one of the task what I hated the most in the big ship build, I'm not sure why though Crying Blink ... maybe because it was bloody boring with the 90 something gun ports in total... I didn't like it this time too... Blushing Bored
- Bulwark and hull sanded smooth around the gun ports.
- Additional plank fitted to both side.
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

DaDokta
#33 Posted : 04 December 2019 08:32:27

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks perfect so far!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Markwarren
#34 Posted : 04 December 2019 09:01:24

Excellent work, taking shape very nicely.Love Drool Drool

Mark
delboy271155
#35 Posted : 04 December 2019 18:19:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Wow, Cool Cool Cool Cool

That`s looking good.

Keep up the good work. Drool Drool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

gingerale75
#36 Posted : 07 December 2019 22:33:19

Ahoy Shipmates,

Thanks for the great comments. BigGrin

My next update is on Stage 14 & 16:

- First of all, I made a test stripe with the various wood stains I ordered from ebay. I just ordered test pots, they are still plenty for about 3-4 ship models... LOL LOL LOL
So I took a spare 2x5mm strip and stained short sections with each colour, additionally I have a regular household walnut stain and a walnut from Admiral paints. There are nine shades in total, plus the dark oak tin I used already on this model, so don't need on the test strip.
This strip will help me to decide which one(s) to use on the shipmen's chests (I don't want all of them the same colour) and on the deck support pillars.
- Next, I made the deck support pillars and decided to stain with the darkest colour, Admiral walnut... then suddenly I was worried....Crying ... the result on the first pillar was much darker than on the test strip, I guess because of the different type of wood... but having no spare pillars, the only choice left to stain the other three to the same colour... but when I test fitted them to the model they looked quite good for me, showing a good contrast on the dark oak planking... so at the end I was happy with the result. BigGrin
- Then I made and fitted the hammock support bars.
- Next, I jumped back to Stage 14 to make the shipmen chests... I made a total of 10 in four different shape & size... wow, it required much more 1x3mm strip than expected. Blink
- Then came the great (STUPID... The word I'm looking for is the 'STUPID') idea.... LOL Cool Blink Confused ... being a masochist when talking about modelling, I thought why not make one chest with an open lid showing its content?... Challenge accepted... Nothing to lose, if it's not successful then won't be used... OK, so what could be in a shipman's chest?... Obviously some spare clothes and a bottle of rum Laugh ... Let's start with some clothes... I decided that a pair of trousers and a shirt/t-shirt would be suitable, so on a piece of cardboard I drew a shirt which (when folded) would fit in the half width of the biggest chest... Done the same with the trousers for the other half of the chest.... I found some leftover fabric from the Victory build (hammocks in bulwark nets) which has a light yellowy brown colour, just perfect for the shirt... Together with the material for this build hammocks it's painted with diluted PVA to stiffen if before I cut the shape... It will be a properly folded shirt Cool BigGrin... I still need to find some fabric for the trousers either blue or dark brown, however as plan B, I still could paint the same hammock fabric to the desired colour... regarding the bottle of rum, I'm planning to turn a tiny bottle from a toothpick using my usual method with a Dremel and a needle file as a lathe...
I'm not sure if this project will be successful but nothing to lose.
- Now waiting for the PVA glue dry, I laid them between two laminated paper and put some weights on them to make them flat.... carry on tomorrow.
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0158a.jpg
IMG_0154.jpg
IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0171.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg
IMG_0168b.jpg
IMG_0173.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#37 Posted : 08 December 2019 23:56:47

Hi All,

Update on the miniaturisation project...

- As the PVA stiffened fabric dried I cut the shape of the shirt, and a small square shape to glue at the back in order to show the different height of the round neck at the back and front.
With PVA glue applied at each step, I folded the shirt as it should be done in real size.
Then details for the collar added with fine permanent marker.
- For the trousers, unfortunately I haven't find at home a suitable dark blue or brown fabric, so I stained the same fabric to a dark brown colour. Not show in details in photos, but trousers shape cut, folded similar way as the shirt. Black details added for belt and pocket.
- For the rum bottle, from toothpick I turned it using my Dremel and a needle file as a mini lathe. Once I was happy with the shape, I stained it to walnut and added a label from a tiny piece of masking tape. I even imitated the writing on it, although it's not legible due to scale, I believe it's an acceptable excuse... LOL LOL LOL
- Then I made an extra closed chest, and simply just truncated the top of it, leaving a small frame from the sides on the lid.
- All chests stained in various colours. The open one also staines inside, as well as the lid of it.
- Once the stain dried, I cut rectangular shape of fabric to fill up the chest approx up to half of its height.
- Then with clear drying glue placed the shirt and trousers into the chest. Finally added the rum bottle on it and glued the lid on an angle... I declare the project successful, it did worth a shot... will be used on the model facing outwards to able to see it. Cool Cool Cool
- As a final step, I added the metal bands, hasps and rope handles to each chests.

Had enough for today, my eyes are crossed... LOL LOL LOL Blink
IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0175.jpg
IMG_0176.jpg
IMG_0177.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#38 Posted : 19 December 2019 02:07:45

Hi All,

After few days of waiting for paint spray to arrive work carried on...

- Started to make the hammocks... very fiddly task, feeling like a surgeon when trying to fold and glue the hammocks with two tweezers LOL LOL LOL .... Five of them made so far.
- Knee support brackets spray painted with two coats of primer and two coats of satin black... wow... what a difference on the paint... during the complete ship build I used the Humbrol acrylic spray paint (150ml, £10-12 per can) and even if same Humbrol primer was used, it was peeling off from the metal even by the smallest touch with the tweezers.... I was struggling a lot.... but now I bought automotive primer and paint (500ml, £6 per can) and it sticks like hell, no issue during handling the parts with tweezers... DON'T use expensive modelling brands, USE cheap automotive paint!!!
- Then the brackets were glued in place... even if it's advised to use superglue for metal parts I used the Glue'n'Glaze because it took some time for each brackets to position correctly, what couldn't be done in a hurry if superglue used.
- Then all the shipmen's chests glued to the orlop deck... The open one placed to the edge towards the rear to show the content of it... As the model will rotate on a turntable both the front and the rear will be visible.
IMG_0192.jpg
IMG_0193.jpg
IMG_0219.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Gandale
#39 Posted : 19 December 2019 09:43:20

Now that I like....Beautiful work and all credit to you.....Love Love Love

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#40 Posted : 20 December 2019 09:27:25

That is very nice work, the extra detail makes all the difference. Love Drool

Mark