gingerale75
#41 Posted : 08 January 2020 02:00:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello Guys,

Happy new year to all of you!
Thanks for the great comments, much appreciated. Blushing

There was a slow process during the Xmas period:

- The remaining five hammocks were made and then all ten hung up.... wow, that was a fiddly work Laugh
- The chain pumps assembled. I made an error on the first one though... I haven't realised the thicker band where the square section changes to round and glued the extension to the long part on a flat surface. But because of the thick band it ended up not being straight... Blink ... Luckily I noted my error on the first one and was able to snap the parts apart without any damage and for the second attempt I used the bottom of the mitre block to provide a square corner with the thicker band able to overhang.
- Stained the buckets to black and painted the black bands. I think they look very good as the black stain actually resulted a fairly dark grey surface instead of black, which was able to show the painted black bands. I like it. Cool
- Handles added and then the buckets glued onto orlop deck, I placed three to one side of the pump well and one to the other side.
- Chain pumps primed with spray paint, then painted white and added the black details.
- Chain pumps, one of the elm tree pump and the last beams glued in place
gingerale75 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0243.jpg
IMG_0245.jpg
IMG_0246.jpg
IMG_0248.jpg
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0307.jpg
IMG_0308.jpg
IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
birdaj2
#42 Posted : 08 January 2020 04:59:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some very neat and tidy work - looks wonderful.

Impressed with your rope handles on those tiny buckets - knotting those rope handles into place must have tested your patience but they look really good.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Markwarren
#43 Posted : 08 January 2020 10:49:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work, looking excellent.Love Love Drool Drool

Mark
gingerale75
#44 Posted : 11 January 2020 20:14:19

Hello All,

Thanks for the kind comments!

It the last few days I was working on the lower gun deck:

- Grating assembled and stained
- Companionway frame made and stained.... wow... this was very fiddly... it either snapped when I tried to remove it from the square blocks I used as a jig to glue, or didn't even stick together... anyway, after much trouble I was able to do it
- Both part glued to the deck beam, again, having trouble with the frame as it has no support at the middle.
- Then the deck is planked, and finally when I reached the frame, I was able to glue it to the planks so now it's stable. I had a little problem with the planks around the pumps. To get it around them, on 1-2 places I needed to notch the plank in a way that only a hearline piece of wood held the two bits together. As it was fairly weak, I had to glue a small piece of scrap wood to the side of the beam to support the "hanging" end of the plank.
IMG_0313.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg
IMG_0327.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#45 Posted : 18 January 2020 22:22:00

Hello All,

Here is my recent progress:

- Lower gun deck stained dark oak.
- Gun carriages assembled, eyebolt added to barrels
- All parts painted. I added extra details to the wheels, showing that they were made two halves held together by bolts.
- Wheels fitted to the carriages, I didn't actually needed to use glue because it was a little of tight fit. Which came very usefult when I had to level the carriages. Unfortunately not all the wheel were exactly round and the carriages were wobbling. But by turning the wheels I managed to make them stable.
- Instead of the provided brass eyebolts I used black coated 0.5mm brass wire to form identical eyebolts to the ones provided. I didn't like the idea to paint them after they glued into the carriages (or paint them before), also the paint would peel off when the threads will be added later on.
- As the painting of the cap squares can’t be avoided, I decided to paint them before they fitted. I attached the caps to the sticky side of masking tape. For the pins I drilled 0.9mm through holes into a scrap wood to make them sit loose in the hole and easy to push out from the other side, cut them 2mm short, inserted them to the holes. Then both set of parts were spray painted (primer + black).
- Once the paint dried finished to assemble the guns.
- Bulwark of lower gun deck painted white, gun ports to red. Knees and deck support painted white, then glued in place.
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg
IMG_0364.jpg
IMG_0369.jpg
IMG_0370.jpg
IMG_0371.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0374.jpg
IMG_0376.jpg
IMG_0377.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

delboy271155
#46 Posted : 19 January 2020 23:15:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

This is a stunning build and all credit to you for your work.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Its a shame its out of stock, as its one I would love to add to my ever growing stash. We will wait in anticipation. Blink Blink

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

gingerale75
#47 Posted : 23 January 2020 01:15:18

Thanks Derek.

I think I was lucky. When I ordered the kit I also had to wait a month until it has been delivered, even if it wasn't marked as 'out of stock' in the online shop. But not long after it was, and I think it is since.

My latest progress:
- All four guns rigged and fitted to the lower gun deck
- Chain pump heads assembled
IMG_0378.jpg
IMG_0381.jpg
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0387.jpg
IMG_0388.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#48 Posted : 24 January 2020 00:09:30

Hello All,

Lots of trouble today... Cursing Cursing Cursing

Wanted to assemble the elm tree pump head but sadly noted that both die cast parts are broken.
The handle broke half at the middle, both of the holes for the pin holding the handle are snapped off.Blink Crying Cursing

Knowing that the kit is currently out of stock at Model Space online shop I couldn't see much point to request replacement parts from customer service.
Having no other choice, attempted to fix them...
First of all, I calmed myself to ensure I have steady hands.
Second, using superglue I repaired the handle... Because it's weakened already I didn't even try to file it a bit round in order to fit the eyebolt onto it. It would require relatively lot of filing. Instead, I used a larger eyebolt leftover from the gun rigging. It was able to slide onto the handle easily.
Third, the pump head.... well... it was a nightmare... two tiny rings to be glued using a tiny drop of superglue positioned as much as it can be in their original position to ensure good surface contact... what a Cursing Cursing Cursing...
Fourth.... I also had to file the handle to make it able to slide in between the two rings... and I couldn't use even the tiniest force to put it in otherwise the rings will come off again.... holy sh@@....
Then to put myself into an ever more trouble I decided that I'll try to put the pin in a way that it has not one but two heads, one on each end.... what the hell I'm doing??? Am I crazy????... Anyway, let's go for it... I took two pins and cut them tiny short... One will go through one ring and the handle, the other one only on the other ring... which means it is approx 1mm "long" beneath its head... after shooting out 2-3 of them from the tweezer into unknown location around the kitchen I managed to fit both of them.
Finally slid the eyebolt onto the handle and glue it into position.

After all these trouble I spray painted it with primer and satin black.

While it was drying I stained the chain pump heads to rosewood because I found one of the walnut I have too dark, the other one to close in shade to the dark oak of the deck.
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0408.jpg
IMG_0409.jpg
IMG_0410.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#49 Posted : 02 February 2020 01:27:43

Hello All,

My latest progress on this week:

- Chain pump heads and elm tree pump head glued in place. I slightly had to file one leg of the pump which where clashing with the eyebolts for the gun riggings. Also I hope that there is enough place for the mast collar to fit. Judging by eye, should be OK. Blink Blink Blink
- Bent, spray painted and fitted the pump handles
- Made, stained and fitted the mess tables and benches. As there will be hammocks on the other decks, I decided to fit the tables onto both sides rather than only one as suggested by the instructions (side one showing 'night' with hammocks, side two is 'day' with mess table)
- Deck beams for middle gun deck painted and fitted
- Details added by fitting deck support pillars, shot garlands and cannon balls. Again, I had to partially file off the bottom of the pillars due to clashing with the eyebolts, however it can't be seen because it's towards the middle of the model, partially covered by the chain pump heads. Flapper Flapper Flapper
IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0419.jpg
IMG_0425.jpg
IMG_0427.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Markwarren
#50 Posted : 02 February 2020 10:14:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Just catching up on this excellent build. You must have had the patience of a saint when it came to repairing the pump. Looking excellent and I’ll be using your build as a reference when I come to do mine. Keep up the great work.Love Drool

Mark
DaDokta
#51 Posted : 05 February 2020 07:54:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This build is getting better and better!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
gingerale75
#52 Posted : 09 February 2020 13:33:27

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated.

Lot of small things done this week:

- Gratings made, stained and fitted to the middle gun deck support beams.
- Barrels and buckets for the guns stained black, bands painted black, handles added to buckets.
- Gunner's tools made, primed with spray, painted to final colour and fitted to the beams.
- Barrels and buckets glued around guns, mess tables fitted and hung to beams.
- Mast painted, bands added. I altered the instructions regarding the bands, I didn't use the technique described (black masking tape, etc), I rather used the same method which was done on the big ship masts and anchor bindings where black thread wrapped around the mast. I made four turns on each band which resulted the desired 2mm wide bindings.
- Then the mast was glued to the model.
- Elm tree pump extension added to the previously made assembly, then it was primed and painted. Temporarily I had to remove the chain pump handle because it was clashing with the pump tree a tiny bit and I didn't wanted to scrape off the paint from the pump tree when 'forcing' it down to its hole. When the pump tree glued in place I re-fitted the pump handle with a slight band on it.
- I also had to cut off a tiny bit from one of the chain pump legs otherwise the mast collar wouldn't fit in the gap.
- Fitted the first layer of mast collar and came another trouble... the second layer wouldn't fit under the band on the mast... luckily when I made the bands I didn't use glue all around the band, only at the spot where the knot is located... so with a small force applied I managed to release it from the mast and I was able to slide the band upwards on the mast to fit the second layer of collar underneath.
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0434.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0439.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0443.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

tf64
#53 Posted : 09 February 2020 21:34:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great build looking forward to seeing more.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

gingerale75
#54 Posted : 22 February 2020 21:35:39

Hi All,

Thanks Trevor for your kind comment.

My progress over the last two weeks:

- Middle gun deck planked and stained.
- Mess benches made and glued to one side of the model
- Mast collar stained and fitted.
- Upper gun deck support beams painted and glued in place.
- Set of gratings made and fitted
- Deck support pillars, shot racks made and fitted
- Beam support irons painted and fitted... unfortunately I couldn't get all of them fully straight otherwise the bottom end doesn't sit on the knees but hanging in air
- Mess tables made and hung
- Hammocks made and hung onto the other side of the model
- Elm tree pump extension painted and fitted
- Upper gun deck planked
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0464.jpg
IMG_0465.jpg
IMG_0466.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0491.jpg
IMG_0492.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg
IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0498.jpg
IMG_0501.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

goddo
#55 Posted : 23 February 2020 00:16:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Truly brilliant workmanship there, Laszlo.
Keep it going and well done.
Chris
Markwarren
#56 Posted : 23 February 2020 10:26:22

Wonderful build. Really enjoying watching this come together.Love Love Drool

Mark
birdaj2
#57 Posted : 23 February 2020 13:47:42

Very neat and detailed work.

Your decking looks brilliant.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
gingerale75
#58 Posted : 29 February 2020 20:28:36

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the nice words, good to hear your opinion.

Progress of the last week:

- Upper gun deck stained
- Bulwark and gun ports painted
- Knees painted and fitted
- Pieces for the guns sorted
- Carriages assembled and painted, wheels painted, mast collar stained
- To accommodate the gun barrel I had to file a round slot onto each carriages otherwise the barrel would rock side-to-side and sit too high to fit the cap squares.
- Same as on the lower guns, I bent my own eyebolts and rings using 0.5mm black copper wire rather then use the provided brass ones and paint them black.
- All the guns rigged and fitted on the deck. At the first deck I made a mistake what resulted the remove the already glued eyebolts from the bulwark... I haven't realised at first that the location of the breech rope and the side tackles are not the same as on the lower gun deck but swapped.... hence my mistake, luckily I was able to remove the glued eyebolt without any damage to the bulwark, however I need to bend new eyebolts.
- Assembled the elm tree pump head, luckily this wasn't broken like the on before. sprayed it black and fitted to the deck together with the mast collar.

Now the new trouble.... and a question....
As I tried the quarter deck long cross beams in place I noticed that they are approx 2 mm short, 1mm on each side...
I though that my model distorted during the build on the previous decks, but II double checked it the with the template that was used on the early stage of the build, and it still snuggly fit between the top of the ribs....
Now I have two choices:
- Force the bulwarks inwards a bit in order to get rid of the gap while the glue for the three cross beams dry or
- Glue them in place with the gap and then fill it up with wood filler.

I think I know what would be your advise but I still would like to ask your opinion about it...
Looking forward for your replies.
IMG_0506.jpg
IMG_0507.jpg
IMG_0508.jpg
IMG_0509.jpg
IMG_0510.jpg
IMG_0519.jpg
IMG_0520.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg
IMG_0523.jpg
IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0527.jpg
IMG_0525.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

goddo
#59 Posted : 29 February 2020 23:45:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Laszlo, your attention to detail and ability to make these mini repairs is absolutely amazing.
Your patience...and eyesight must be fantastic. Really do admire your work.
Chris
gingerale75
#60 Posted : 02 March 2020 02:01:10

goddo wrote:
Hi Laszlo, your attention to detail and ability to make these mini repairs is absolutely amazing.
Your patience...and eyesight must be fantastic. Really do admire your work.
Chris

Thanks Chris, much appreciated.
Laszlo
Happy building!
Laszlo