Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<2345>
Laszlo's Victory X-Section Diary Options
gingerale75
#61 Posted : 02 March 2020 02:17:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hello All,

I made up my mind how to get around the short cross beams.
I didn't wanted to force the bulwark inwards being afraid that the glue will release over time and letting the quarter deck fall apart.
Therefore I decided to fill the gaps but not with wood filler as I originally planned.
Luckily I was able to retrieve the fret from the bin (my wife didn't emptied since yesterday) because I decided to use it for the extension rather than using small pieces of scrap planks.
So I cut the fret up and glued the opposite shapes to the end of the related beams, the three long cross beams, two medium and two short beams, all which are connected the the bulwark brackets.
Once the glue dried I carved off the excess to fill the gaps. The only thing that I had to be very cautious that the gaps filled evenly on both ends to ensure that the slots for the fore-aft beams remains aligned.
It took a while but finally managed to modify all parts. Then everything was painted and glued in place.

Then finishing details added the the upper gun deck:
- the deck support posts and bitts
- the shot garlands and shots
- four sets of gunner's tools
- barrels and buckets for the guns
gingerale75 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0528.jpg
IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg
IMG_0531.jpg
IMG_0532.jpg
IMG_0535.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg
IMG_0540.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
tf64
#62 Posted : 02 March 2020 12:08:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Laszlo,

This is a top build Laszlo well done, it just looks great it is clean and tidy and I cannot see any glue keep going, keep posting.

Regards

Trev.
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

gingerale75
#63 Posted : 08 March 2020 17:21:42

Hello All,

Thanks for the kind comments, Trev.

This week's progress:
- Fitted the wales
- Made the frames for the quarter deck openings. I decided to add the gratings to it, first, because with this it will match with the large complete ship model, second, because if the gratings not fitted then the top of the beams are visible and they are not looking very good. Hence I fitted the middle cross frame not horizontal, as instructed but vertical, same as the outer frame. I left the gratings one notch short for the pinrail posts.
- Frames stained and glued to the deck beams.
- The quarter deck and the bulwark planked, the edges sanded smooth.
- Finally, the deck stained.
- Temporarily I slid the binding just above the deck a bit upwards to able to fit the mast collar.

One thing I found very odd, that compared to the complete ship model, the mast falls towards the front of the openings, while on the complete model it falls towards the rear of the opening. See last two photo.
It's weird that two models of the same ship has such difference, especially that both kits made by the same company.
IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0546.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0557.jpg
IMG_0559.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg
IMG_0543.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

gingerale75
#64 Posted : 15 March 2020 22:46:24

Ahoy Shipmates,

This weeks progress:

- Mast collar fitted, band in the mast slid back just above the collar.
- Frame for quarter deck opening and the top of the hull painted and fitted.
- Timberheads made for the bulwarks. I chamfered to top edges a tiny bit, they did not look good to me with pointy edges.
- Timberheads, pinrails, kevels fitted to the bulwarks, all painted.
- Mouldings and bulwark cap fitted.
- Main mast pinrail made and fitted
- All the remaining diecast and brass parts spray painted: wriggles, entry port canopies, hammock cranes, knee irons, gunport hinges, chainwale supports and chains, pins. I used a scrap 2x5 strip for the pins, drilled 1.6mm holes in it. The holes are big enough to place the pins loose to avoid the paint being scraped off when took out.
- Gold details added to the entry port canopies, then the pieces glued together.
- Mouldings fitted to the top half of the hull
- Fenders and stairs fitted
- Started to paint the hull. I decided to paint the hull copper below the waterline, the same as on my whole ship model. First coat of copper applied.

IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0571.jpg
IMG_0572.jpg
IMG_0573.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

goddo
#65 Posted : 15 March 2020 23:09:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Laszlo,
As alway, brilliant skills. Words escape me.
Well done.
Chris
DaDokta
#66 Posted : 20 March 2020 09:57:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Brilliant build so far!

One thing that caught my attention when reading your posts is the mast.

You wrote that it`s leaning in a different direction than at the complete model? What do you mean with that - is it leaning bow-wards rather than stern-wards?
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
gingerale75
#67 Posted : 20 March 2020 20:34:44

DaDokta wrote:
Brilliant build so far!

One thing that caught my attention when reading your posts is the mast.

You wrote that it`s leaning in a different direction than at the complete model? What do you mean with that - is it leaning bow-wards rather than stern-wards?

Hi Walter,
No, I didn't mean that it is leaning in different direction.
The overall position of the main mast is different. See photos below.
In the main model the mast is positioned towards the aft end of the gratings, while on the cross section it is positioned towards the fore end of the gratings.
IMG_0543.jpg
IMG_0558.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Markwarren
#68 Posted : 21 March 2020 09:01:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Really coming together very nicely. Making me want to start mine.Love Love Love

Mark
gingerale75
#69 Posted : 21 March 2020 18:38:40

Hello Everybody,

I hope you're all good during this self-isolating-kind-of-times. Blink Blink Blink

My progress during this week:

- Second coat of copper applied.
- Hull painted yellow-black in multiple steps. It was two coat of yellow ochre required, however for the black one coat was sufficient.
- Deadeyes fitted to chainwales and painted them black.
- Entry port canopies fitted
- Chainwales fitted to the hull and added all the chains.

I used 0.5mm black coated copper wire rather than the provided brass wire, first, it was much easier to bend, second, does not required to paint after they were fitted, giving a much better look. BigGrin
IMG_0574.jpg
IMG_0584.jpg
IMG_0589.jpg
IMG_0590.jpg
IMG_0591.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0583.jpg
IMG_0593.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

tf64
#70 Posted : 21 March 2020 21:47:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Laszio,

Credit to your build clean and tidy and not a trace of glue.

Well done

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

gingerale75
#71 Posted : 22 March 2020 23:35:17

Hi All,

Thanks for your kind comment, Trev.

Today I managed to add some finishing details:

- Gun port lids made and fitted. I added a small chamfer on the inside edge of the lids to ease up the pointy edges.
I found it easier to add the ropes in this order:
* feed the thread through the holes on the hinges but do not tie the knot
* glue the lid in place
* glue the end of the threads into the holes on the hull
* pull the rope tight, tie it with a half-hitch and seal the knot... with two half-hitches the knot would be too big, hence I don't recommend it. You can put a clothing peg to the end of the thread hanging until the glue dries to maintain the tension, then snip off the excess thread.

- Corrected the outside faces of the beams with white, yellow and stain.
- Stained the front/rear faces of the hull. Unfortunately due to the different quality of wood strips the result is not fully satisfactory/even but because I can't imagine that it could be improved even if I would sand it back, I left it like this.
- Knee irons glued to the front/rear faces
- Pins glued into the pinrails
- Ladder made, stained and fitted

Almost finished, only the hammock cranes and the rest of barrels left to do.
IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0596.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0599.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

Markwarren
#72 Posted : 23 March 2020 08:53:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Lovely work, looks stunning.Love Love Drool

Mark
goddo
#73 Posted : 23 March 2020 11:33:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Laszlo,
I wonder if you could share something with me. I am building the full Victory model at the moment.
Although I am not at this stage yet, I am already wondering how to mask off the gun port openings when I spray the ochre and black bands on the hull.
gingerale75
#74 Posted : 23 March 2020 11:55:38

goddo wrote:
Hi Laszlo,
I wonder if you could share something with me. I am building the full Victory model at the moment.
Although I am not at this stage yet, I am already wondering how to mask off the gun port openings when I spray the ochre and black bands on the hull.

Hi Goddo,
I did not mask it because I used paintbrush, not air spray.
Sorry I couldn’t help more.
Happy building!
Laszlo

goddo
#75 Posted : 23 March 2020 12:29:06

OK thanks, Laszlo. I will probably consider doing the paintwork by hand as well, to be honest.
I haven't even started looking at buying a compressor/spray gun yet.
Actually, I would probably make a bit of a mess with a spray gun. At least I've used a paint brush before!
DaDokta
#76 Posted : 23 March 2020 12:44:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for your answer, Laszlo! It´s a little bit of a relief as i thought the mast was leaning in a wrong direction.

Wonderful update - your building speed is incredible as always!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
gingerale75
#77 Posted : 25 March 2020 20:31:05

Hello All,

Thanks you for the nice comments, much appreciated. Blushing

Update from the last few days' work:

- All barrels stained in various colours: teak, walnut, jacobean oak, medium oak, black, rosewood. I had plenty pf barrels because I had double issues of the first issue of this kit and some leftover from the complete ship kit.
- Black bands painted to all barrels.
- When I started to fit the thinner tall barrels I realised that they are well oversized to add them to the decks. So I truncated few of them at both ends just under the outermost band. Although with the loss of this 2-3mm they still look oversized I believe, but much more acceptable to the scale. See photos below about the before/after state.
- Ballast added to the hold.
- Barrels fitted all around the hold and the decks.
- I added ballast to the front and rear of the model too. I stuck masking tape to the faces to keep the ballast in place until the diluted PVA glue dries.
- Started to fit the hammock cranes, the cranes for quarter deck opening is completed.
Hint: I left an approx 1mm tail from the fret at the bottom middle of the cranes, and drilled a 0.5mm hole into the top of the strip and the pillars. This was providing an extra support for the cranes.
IMG_0606.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg
IMG_0609.jpg
IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0610.jpg
IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0613.jpg
IMG_0614.jpg
IMG_0615.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0618.jpg
IMG_0619.jpg
IMG_0616.jpg
IMG_0608.jpg
Happy building!
Laszlo

tf64
#78 Posted : 25 March 2020 21:36:05

Lovely work again Laszio, some of it is hard to paint particularly the soft barrels.

Very well done.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

Markwarren
#79 Posted : 26 March 2020 09:16:30

Excellent work on this, you have really done it justice. Love Love Drool

Mark
gingerale75
#80 Posted : 27 March 2020 20:55:43

Thank you guys for the nice comments.
Much appreciated. Blushing Blushing Blushing
Happy building!
Laszlo