Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Hobby King Fokker Dr1 Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 31 October 2019 21:53:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all I bought this kit with money I got for my birthday, I've only ever built one balsa aircraft kit when I was still a lad in my teens (ahh how well I remember

the smell of dope and the lovely twist in the wing where I over zealously applied the dope to the tissue (think that's why it always seemed to crash land ) .

Well the kit arrived and it is an impressive kit.

The balsa and ply look to be good quality and the laser cutting is also very good.

There is a lot of balsa too.

I've no idea what the carbon rod is for (or a lot of the other stuff for that matter)

This is the instructions that come with the kit

That's it, no written instructions, nothing about how the fuselage goes together(there are hundreds of parts) since this is supposed to be an rc plane I'm assuming it's meant for experienced builders (of which I'm not) I dont intend to rc it I intend to build it with no skin on it and am going to stain the framework with red wood stain ( that's always assuming I can figure out how to assemble it)
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
admin
#2 Posted : 01 November 2019 15:36:15

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice looking parts!

Could it be that you’re missing the fuselage plans? The kit seems a bit too well produced for no plans...
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 01 November 2019 15:58:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Ken!
I found this on Youtube showing the complete unboxing of the kit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lWR6Iuijc4 I suspected that the carbon rods would be some sort of re-enforcement to be used in the rc flying version (sort of substitute bracing wires) but as you're making it as a static display you probably wouldn't need them. As for the plans, I didn't see anything more than you've got come out of the box! The reviewer did end with a "Not recommended for beginners" statement but you'd expect a little more than just those drawings.Blink
The reviewer also said he'd be putting up a full build diary on Youtube though!BigGrin

Best of luck with this one!

Robin
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 01 November 2019 16:17:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ken

Tab down and look under files.

Think most of what you may require is in here

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/balsa-fokker-dr1.html

Seem to be massive files and my ipad is struggling but opened one and it does show a built fuselage with all of the part numbers showing. Hope its the correct one for you.

Tony

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
kpnuts
#5 Posted : 02 November 2019 19:27:30

Hi all well thanks to Tony I have some pdf instructions.

I thought I'd made my first error I was going to stain all the wood before gluing it all together as I thought the glue would stop the stain and wouldn't then look so good.

I started with the sides of the fuselage, as I was painting it on the balsa started to curve, i wasn't too worried as i thought when i do the other side as it dries it would straighten up again but it seemed as though it wouldn't so i started gluing some bits together hoping when i come to attaching the sides i could straighten them up then.

Luckily they leveled out by themselves, unluckily the glue does affect the stain. Not sure if it shows on the pics but anyway once the other side is on I dont think it will notice, so I've spent the rest of the afternoon staining all the rest of the parts for the fuselage.

It's going to be a fair size when done (at least as a static display model anyway)
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 02 November 2019 19:43:01

Certainly lots of parts to keep you busy Ken.

Looking really good and what a nice way of spending a day out of this awful weather.

Hope it continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
kpnuts
#7 Posted : 03 November 2019 20:39:44

Hi all more progress, once you've figured out how things go together the fit is great (even with the pdf files it's still confusing) I think the model has been updated since the pdf instructions as the numbers are different and a lot of the parts dont look like the pdf says they should, anyhow here's more progress pics.

roymattblack
#8 Posted : 03 November 2019 20:50:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Is this actually balsa, or thin laser cut ply?

It looks really great and I quite fancy this kit myself.
You're working wonders on it.
Keep it up.
kpnuts
#9 Posted : 03 November 2019 21:45:11

It's a mix Roy some is balsa some is ply it is a good kit but the instructions are very poor I think they should have updated the instructions with the kit ( the pdf files look like cad drawings I think they were the original design and it has evolved since then) as i said parts look different and the number of the parts has been changed (i must admit to quite liking it as it is more of a challenge, you have to be a sort of detective) I have to add I have no intention to fly this and have checked out some YouTube videos of this flying (no one uses their suggested engines or power supply but it does fly really well with the right setup)
budgie
#10 Posted : 04 November 2019 08:41:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi Ken
looks a nice kit

The carbon rods are control rods attached between the servo arms and the elevators etc for moving them
The ends are z bended to stay in place on the servo arm
Is there a recommendation for size of servos motor esc etc with instructions
Ta
kpnuts
#11 Posted : 04 November 2019 21:42:13

Hi, no mate no mention of engine or servo recommendation in the instructions, it said something on the website but all the YouTube vids I've seen of it flying say the recommended engine and power supply are far to small. I didn't pay too much attention to it as I've no intention of actually flying it.
Anyway here is more progress, some of the parts bare no resemblance to what the instructions say they should look like, it makes things very confusing.
Not sure what I'm going to do with the engine painting wise.

kpnuts
#12 Posted : 06 November 2019 21:49:53

Hi all more progress on this, I'm really enjoying this, I'm considering adding the serves and control cables just to add more interest to the finished plane.

kpnuts
#13 Posted : 12 November 2019 21:39:23

Hi all more progress on this

Gandale
#14 Posted : 12 November 2019 23:58:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely progress Ken, coming along beautifully....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Sparky1962
#15 Posted : 13 November 2019 09:15:32

morning kpnuts,
looking good am enjoying your build diary, am sorely tempted to get one but will wait till after xmas (sorry to everyone for mentioning the 'C' word - but at least its better than the 'B' word). also tempted to get the Hobby King 'Fokker Eindecker'.
kpnuts
#16 Posted : 13 November 2019 19:09:08

The eindecker looks good, all the parts in this kit so far fit together very well, the instructions are very bad though. I downloaded the pdf instructions from their site and they are cad type, I think they are the initial version and the kit has been updated since they were made but they have not been updated therefore loads of parts look nothing like the instructions say they should also part numbers have been changed there are very few written instructions just exploded views of some parts where they are fitted.
Dont let any of what I've said put you off though its is a very enjoyable kit (mind you if I was going to cover it to fly there are no instructions on how to go about doing that)( apparently there are better thing than tissue and dope these days though like some sort of heat shrink stuff) I've not really bothered checking up on it as I dont intend to cover it anyway.
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 14 November 2019 08:47:40

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Ken, coming along very nicely.Cool

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#18 Posted : 14 November 2019 22:13:06

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Turning into a very interesting build Ken ThumpUp
kpnuts
#19 Posted : 18 November 2019 22:05:56

Well got the upper wing structure done (shes going to be a fair size)

Sparky1962
#20 Posted : 19 November 2019 06:23:13

morning kpnuts,
I have surrendered & have ordered the Hobby King Fokker Dr1, what type of wood stain did you use - was it water or spirit based?
thanks in advance
Sparky1962