Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Experten's Porsche Options
experten
#1 Posted : 15 November 2019 05:27:11

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Official Builds

Hi all,

Just to prove that I DO build these kits we all love, I am attaching a pic of my Porsche 911 Carrera RS build. Obviously, it is a total repaint. I used OEM Porsche Guards Red, which is, of course, the ONLY proper color for a Porsche. The decals came from the eBay shop of our very own RoyMattBlack.I'll also be adding Roys fantastis engine and placard set to the build.

The paint on the front quarter panels has been kicking my behind for some reason.
experten attached the following image(s):
porschesized.jpg
Tired, Old, and Cranky!
tf64
#2 Posted : 15 November 2019 08:26:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice paint work on the Porsche, looking forward to more posts of your build Experten.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 15 November 2019 08:59:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That looks great.
Are you going to stay with a black interior or change it?

Roy.
CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 15 November 2019 13:04:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love Lovin the red! Would have loved to see the process as to how you got to this stage. Do you have a link?
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 15 November 2019 14:44:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice, looking forward to seeing this come together and what interior colour scheme you come up with.Love

Mark
admin
#6 Posted : 15 November 2019 16:31:47

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

roymattblack wrote:
That looks great.
Are you going to stay with a black interior or change it?

Roy.

I’m leaving it black. Tan has crossed my mind, but black has a bit more of a “classic” feel to it.
admin
#7 Posted : 15 November 2019 16:36:55

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
Love Lovin the red! Would have loved to see the process as to how you got to this stage. Do you have a link?

Hi Gray,

It’s been “interesting” thus far. I immediately ran into problems with the repaint, as the OEM paint was too hot, and blew the powder coat off of the parts. So, I took it to a local sandblasting shop, and had them take it down to bare metal. Then, I used an auto body primer, then the OEM paint. I followed that up with the decals from Roy, then Diamond 2K urethane Clear Coat. I still need to cut and polish the 2k, but as I mentioned, the genders are giving me problems. after that, it’s on with the build!
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 15 November 2019 19:12:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Some cars just look right in some colours others just take away from them looks good to me. Are you getting contamination or is it the old orange peel.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

admin
#9 Posted : 16 November 2019 02:54:27

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Some cars just look right in some colours others just take away from them looks good to me. Are you getting contamination or is it the old orange peel.

Orange peel is a close descriptor. The color coat wrinkles up, like it’s been hit with stripper. I seem to have it beaten into submission though, by misting a few coats on, then a final “wet” coat. The 2k is just too hot.
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 16 November 2019 09:42:47

Ah I see. 2K can do a lot of damage when applied and as you have to mix it yourself the first thing is to get the exact amounts of the mix your going to use. As just small amounts off can turn it into dragon breath. Below is how I use 2K you probably already do it this way but its a good way of letting others now a way to spray it too.

When I mix mine I use a dedicated and graduated glass pipette measure the amount needed then squirt into your mixing pot then allow any residue in the pipette to flow to the tip [I find plastic ones tend to be slow flowing here], make sure the pipette is empty every time before you add more 2K.

When you have the mix right stirring is ok but the small battery powered paint mixers are better for a good stir.

When I spray 2K I do it in 3 coats, first coat is a light mist coat, cover all the parts of the model that need the clear coat then let it rest for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes go over the model again but this time with a medium coat. let it rest for another 10 minutes.

The last coat is a wet coat cover the parts and leave to dry for around 24 hours, touching it before then will ruin your hard work.

Andy

Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .