#21 Posted : 18 December 2019 16:45:52

Groups: Registered

third try
OldMart attached the following image(s):
DSCF0292_edited-2.jpg
OldMart
#22 Posted : 18 December 2019 16:51:40

At last lol. it took my 13 year old neighbour to show me what I was doing wrong. as you can guess not very it savvy.
On reflection it is not too good. will have another fiddle?

Martin
kpnuts
#23 Posted : 20 December 2019 18:57:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good start.
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
birdaj2
#24 Posted : 20 December 2019 22:31:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Martin

Good to see you up and running with this one.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
OldMart
#25 Posted : 22 December 2019 13:15:53

Hi Ken! nice to hear from you. Thanks Tony, I have got everything glued up, now filling in with balsa before I start shaping the hull, struggling with the photos but will keep trying. all this is completely new to me.

Martin.
birdaj2
#26 Posted : 22 December 2019 18:41:53

Martin

Pleased to hear your getting on with your build.

Posting pictures will eventually become easier.

I don't have an special software for any i post.

I take them on a camera and then plug the memory card into my pc and copy the pictures onto a folder on the pc.

From there i just use microsoft paint to resize them and from there import them into any post i might add to the forum.

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
OldMart
#27 Posted : 23 December 2019 13:56:10

Thanks Tony. I will have a go at that, I tried taking pictures with my phone but the computer won't recognise my phone? on another subject, I have read somewhere that if I use pva glue for planking it can warp the plank's, do you know what is the best adhesive to use.

Martin
birdaj2
#28 Posted : 23 December 2019 14:42:29

OldMart wrote:
Thanks Tony. I will have a go at that, I tried taking pictures with my phone but the computer won't recognise my phone? on another subject, I have read somewhere that if I use pva glue for planking it can warp the plank's, do you know what is the best adhesive to use.

Martin

Martin

Glue is always down a lot to personal choice.

My preference for 99% of wood joining is "Titebond original wood glue". It says sands easily, short clamp time, water cleanup.

I have never had any problems using it.

This type of glue is also known as alaphatic adhesive and you will find that under different brands if you prefer. Just put aliphatic wood glue into your search engine and you will get something like the below link.

https://www.google.co.uk...en-gb&client=safari

Anything that introduces even a modicum of moisture into the wood strips can expand the grain and then shrink it back as it dries. This is one of the main reasons they suggest using a keel clamp when you start you build as the false keel can sometimes twist as the planking starts to go on.

When many started the deagostini victory a good few years ago there was a lot of conversation about keel clamps and how to make one. If you look back on some of those forum posts you will see some details.

Simplest one has to be the small sngle brackets screwed down on a nice sound piece of board.

Have a look at post #2 on this old build diary and the picture will explain better than words can.

Tony

Happy Modelling

OldMart
#29 Posted : 24 December 2019 11:53:15

Thanks' very much Tony your a star.
Martin
birdaj2
#30 Posted : 24 December 2019 15:52:56

OldMart wrote:
Thanks' very much Tony your a star.
Martin

Martin

Not a problem in the slightest.

Just noticed i mentioned looking at post #2 and forgot to add the link (age plus christmas = scrambled brain :-) )

Here is the link i intended to post and the jig you see here was one that many of the Victory builders opted to make to keep keel nice and straight.

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=6433

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

OldMart
#31 Posted : 27 December 2019 16:08:35

Thanks again Tony, that seems strait forward and secure. I have gone back to the plan build and took all the balsa out, will clean everything up tomorrow. The more I looked at it the less I liked it? I can also use claps when I get to planking the hull, couldn't think how to put pressure on planks with all that balsa, I didn't like the idea of pining them and leaving holes everywhere no matter how small. never mind a lesson learned.
Martin
birdaj2
#32 Posted : 27 December 2019 17:02:04

OldMart wrote:
Thanks again Tony, that seems strait forward and secure. I have gone back to the plan build and took all the balsa out, will clean everything up tomorrow. The more I looked at it the less I liked it? I can also use claps when I get to planking the hull, couldn't think how to put pressure on planks with all that balsa, I didn't like the idea of pining them and leaving holes everywhere no matter how small. never mind a lesson learned.
Martin

Martin

Not sure if your model is single or double planked? If double planked any small pin holes will be hidden by the second layer.

Little tip you might want to try on a scrap plank and that is use one of the fine nails. Remove it and yes you will have a small hole. However get yourself a small pot of plain hot water (just off the boil). Use a small model paint brush and place a drop of the water over the hole and you will see the hole closes over.

Some people use contact adhesive for putting on the second layer of planks. You can buy gel type adhesives these days so that does away with the stringing (and mess) you can get with some of the older brands. alpha thixofix is one decent brand but there others that are available.

Hope it continues well.

Tony

Happy Modelling

OldMart
#33 Posted : 28 December 2019 18:50:36

Tony.
Thanks for that, I have been sanding and shaping part of the hull.Got some brackets & wood to make a keel clamp. Will have another go at some photos tomorrow, the hull is single planked, I am working on some bulldog clips with a wedge the hold the planks when I get to that stage, again I will put photos up. I hope! thanks again for the advice and tips.

Martin
delboy271155
#34 Posted : 28 December 2019 21:18:47

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Martin, BigGrin

There are numerous planking clamps on the market, each with their own advantages/disadvantages dependant on the build you are doing.

The link below is a cheap but sturdy option I have used and only takes a few minutes of your time to construct from an everyday item.

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=8502

There are other versions on the same theme, some of which are available to view in the link below. (including the one one mentioned above).

https://forum.model-spac...spx?g=posts&t=25807

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

OldMart
#35 Posted : 29 December 2019 13:42:24

Thanks Derek. that's really useful the one with the clips and bras strips is what I was thinking of anyway, might have a go at that.
Martin
OldMart
#36 Posted : 29 December 2019 14:22:31

Jig done.
Cutty Sark in jig.JPG
OldMart
#37 Posted : 29 December 2019 14:23:50

looks like pics are done too.
Cutty Sark jig.JPG
OldMart
#38 Posted : 29 December 2019 14:26:15

Thanks Tony. Did what you suggested, I can get some work done now lol

Martin.
birdaj2
#39 Posted : 29 December 2019 15:56:25

Martin

That looks spot on.

It will keep everything nicely in line so you do not end up with the keel twisting.

Hope it all continues well.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#40 Posted : 29 December 2019 23:25:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're making good progress Martin, well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan