Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
OldMart Options
OldMart
#61 Posted : 09 February 2020 12:32:10

Groups: Registered

next one. I thought I had put two up before?
OldMart attached the following image(s):
cutty sark resized.JPG
OldMart
#62 Posted : 09 February 2020 12:33:22

Sorry I will get the hang of it one day. martin
delboy271155
#63 Posted : 09 February 2020 12:35:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

OldMart wrote:
Sorry I will get the hang of it one day. martin

No Problem, looks like you`ve cracked it now. BigGrin

The deck looks good to me. Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

OldMart
#64 Posted : 09 February 2020 12:59:18

Thanks Derek. it took me long enough, I haven't done anything like this before so everything is new but I so want it to be right. "and finished"LOL Martin
OldMart
#65 Posted : 09 February 2020 16:28:22

Hi I'm looking for advice. I want to start planking the hull and I'm wondering where to put the first plank? under the deck but flush, flush with the side of it or what, the instructions are not very clear to a novice like myself. Martin
OldMart
#66 Posted : 11 February 2020 09:44:45

thanks for your help! I wont be bothering you all again. BYE. Martin
birdaj2
#67 Posted : 11 February 2020 09:50:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Martin

Sorry that you did not get an answer to your query.

Its not a ship i have built but i would suggest if it follows similar lines to ones i have constructed then you first plank would go on at deck level.

I just had a look at the online build instructions and i can see what you mean about them not being very clear.

Not sure if there is anyone on here that has built this one that could give you some better detail.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#68 Posted : 11 February 2020 10:26:43

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Martin.

There are not many live diaries for this build on the forum, so sometimes getting a reply may take some time. If you don`t get a reply it may be that your question has moved off the recent topic board, in which case feel free to re-post the question.

Now for your answer

(Having dug the instruction booklet out from the bottom of my stash)

The top planks cover the the main deck board but NOT the deck planks and should then run directly below the the stem boards (part 29) that you fitted in section 6 final instruction.

Hope this helps.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

OldMart
#69 Posted : 11 February 2020 21:21:52

Thanks Tony. Thanks Derek. I thought everyone had, had enough of me.
your information was invaluable, I can start trimming and get started tomorrow. once again my many, many thanks Martin.
birdaj2
#70 Posted : 11 February 2020 21:39:32

OldMart wrote:
Thanks Tony. Thanks Derek. I thought everyone had, had enough of me.
your information was invaluable, I can start trimming and get started tomorrow. once again my many, many thanks Martin.

Martin

No worries. As Derek mentioned earlier the new posts screen can get lots of updates (yes it dies sometimes happen :-) ) and posts can end up dropping off the end of the list.

You may also find that people view a post but as they are unable to provide an answer do not reply.

No one would want a “1000” replies saying “I know nothing” (for fans of Fawlty towers).

No one will tire of your posts or questions be assured. I post and often get one or two comments sometimes none at all :-)

You ask your questions and everyone will try their best to reply.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
OldMart
#71 Posted : 20 February 2020 11:55:45

Hi Everyone. do you know of any good ship modelling magazines or books that I could buy. also a decent model shop where I could buy tools and gadgets without waiting for weeks? Regards Martin.
Gandale
#72 Posted : 20 February 2020 12:31:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

OldMart wrote:
Hi Everyone. do you know of any good ship modelling magazines or books that I could buy. also a decent model shop where I could buy tools and gadgets without waiting for weeks? Regards Martin.

I tend to get a lot of my materials and tools from Cornwall Model Boats....

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/

Worth taking a look....

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#73 Posted : 20 February 2020 15:06:42

Martin

As Alan already mentioned Cornwall Model Boats. This is my preferred choice with the biggest reason being their very good postage costs.

I order a lot of strip wood and they always pack in a cardboard postal tube and postage is very reasonable.

Also had a number of kits from them and again very prompt on delivery.

I did use a company called “The Model Dockyard” just once. A lot higher cost for strip wood delivery so say next day but took several days to arrive. That i do not appreciate - paying for a next day service with no other option and not getting next day (and that order was placed early in the day not late in the day so in my view no excuse)

Now as to books that is a good question. I went out when i started this hobby buying up anything i could find but in the early stages some of these books could have been written in “Japanese” for all the. Understanding i got from them. Dont get me wrong, they were very good books but my lack of understanding left me even more confused.

For specific kits i have the “period ship handbooks” by keith julier. But these are quite dated publications now and while the text is top notch some of the pictures are not up to modern standards and are difficult to interpret.

Recently i also picked up the plank on frame models books by Harold A Underhill. But again very dated books first published 1958 and the other in 1960.

The large part of my collection in terms of ships tend to be more reference books rather than how to books.

I have found most of my learning from sites such as this one and more aligned to ship modelling the excellant “Model Ship World” site.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

OldMart
#74 Posted : 20 February 2020 15:39:41

Thanks' for that. I have looked at a few places for tools, most recent I decided to invest in an electric plank bender, two places I looked at it was temporally out of stock another two it was advertised at £28, one went up to £38 with postage and tax? the other went up to £45 for the same reason, so frustrating and what a rip off too. Martin.
Gandale
#75 Posted : 20 February 2020 16:26:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

OldMart wrote:
Thanks' for that. I have looked at a few places for tools, most recent I decided to invest in an electric plank bender, two places I looked at it was temporally out of stock another two it was advertised at £28, one went up to £38 with postage and tax? the other went up to £45 for the same reason, so frustrating and what a rip off too. Martin.

Electric plank bender available here for £18....

https://www.model-space....ctric-plank-bender.html

Regards

Alan
OldMart
#76 Posted : 20 February 2020 17:34:35

Sorry Alan. I ordered one from model-space last Thursday, I rang up wed to see when I was going to get it and was told it may be out of stock at first, then told they need five days to deliver? so I cancelled, should be a lot quicker than that. Very poor service I thought. regards Martin