Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Late to the party - a weathered looking R2 Options
S4Simon
#1 Posted : 28 December 2019 08:38:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Well even though I started R2 well over a year ago I’m only just past the halfway mark. With the local Oz distributor going into receivership some nine months ago I’m around 30 issues behind most other Oz builders. Never mind - still thoroughly enjoying the build.

I’ve decided to go the weathered look, but can’t see many other deag builders going down that avenue. Bought some soft pastels to give that a go, but didn’t end well. So I’ve decided to use the same process that I used on the Deag Falcon, and must admit looks a lot better. Anyway one leg down and one to go. Can’t wait to see the end result next Xmas. :-)

BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
skyfire
#2 Posted : 28 December 2019 09:43:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking good so far, I decided to keep my one clean.

Luckily I am getting my issues from the newsagent, so had no problems when bisset folded.
S4Simon
#3 Posted : 28 December 2019 10:07:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Yes I’ve been watching your build Skyfire. Looking forward to seeing yours completed and up and running.

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 28 December 2019 10:58:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Some nice weathering Simon, looking good.Love ThumpUp

Mark
CaptnBirdseye
#5 Posted : 28 December 2019 12:53:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Can’t beat that ‘been through the Wars’ look. Well done, it looks greatThumpUp
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 28 December 2019 15:25:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Simon

That is very well done.

He certainly looks like he has "been through the wars".

Hope it all continues well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
S4Simon
#7 Posted : 22 February 2020 00:36:58

Commencing grunge work on leg two.

Next month - grundging the dome. :-)

andali15
#8 Posted : 22 February 2020 09:15:18

Excellent weathering. Well done. Andy.
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 22 February 2020 10:41:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You've certainly dirtied him up very nicely.Love Love

Mark
S4Simon
#10 Posted : 27 August 2020 08:45:48

Sloooooowly getting there. Applying a tube of Star Wars all purpose weathering to the main panels. ;-)

S4Simon
#11 Posted : 11 September 2020 12:07:34

Up to issue 91.... which means I can finally see what he looks like as a complete entity.

Just needs a brain now.

Markwarren
#12 Posted : 11 September 2020 15:30:20

Looking very good. Your weathering is superb, just the right amount.Love Love Don’t rush in the final stages of the wiring, be very methodical when fitting the final electronics together. Time spent here will save you in the long run.
Not long now until we have another member bought to life.Cool ThumpUp

Mark
S4Simon
#13 Posted : 11 September 2020 23:47:21

Markwarren wrote:
Looking very good. Your weathering is superb, just the right amount.Love Love Don’t rush in the final stages of the wiring, be very methodical when fitting the final electronics together. Time spent here will save you in the long run.
Not long now until we have another member bought to life.Cool ThumpUp

Mark

Thanks Mark.

The build has taken so long due to delivery issues that I’ve seen all the little problems that people have faced. Plus my 30 year background in Overhauling military guidance systems should come in handy.

I see Unforeseen technical issues as a fun add-on to a build. :-)

S4Simon
#14 Posted : 18 November 2020 05:09:58

Completed up to issue 99......

Soooooo close yet soooooo far.

We'll have to wait another few weeks for the last issue to arrive from the UK to see if we have any 'bad motivators' installed.

I've re-enforced all the pre-existing shifty weak wiring points with some hot glue gun stress relief. Double checked all connections, and they'll be triple checked again prior to power up. Batteries checked, charged up and awaiting installation. What could possibly go wrong from here...

admin
#15 Posted : 18 November 2020 07:09:07

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Oh, that is excellent! Alan......
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 18 November 2020 09:16:42

Sooooooo close, fingers crossed, looking good.Love

Mark
Gandale
#17 Posted : 18 November 2020 21:18:10

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Superb work Simon, looks amazing and great credit to your skills.....Love Love

Regards

Alan
S4Simon
#18 Posted : 19 November 2020 02:49:41

If all else fails at issue 100, it will just have to sit in the hall of fame ;-)

S4Simon
#19 Posted : 08 December 2020 09:18:12

So happy to report that my R2 is fully operational. No issues encountered throughout the build. Worked first time. Looks and sounds great.

Very happy with the build and end result.

Markwarren
#20 Posted : 08 December 2020 09:24:11

Excellent work. Another R2 joining the club. It was this time a couple of years ago I finished mine, put him in patrol mode and knocked the Christmas tree down. It was great fun watching him come to life for the first time.Cool Drool ThumpUp

Mark