Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Zero has landed! Options
Tomick
#1 Posted : 25 November 2011 15:19:51

Groups:

Reference book - Aero Detail 7 - Mitsubishi A6M Zero Fighter

Crammed with colour and B/W images and drawings, its by far the best ref book available on the A6M2
Tomick attached the following image(s):
IMG_4559.JPG
SennaMentalMe
#2 Posted : 25 November 2011 17:47:21

Groups:

BigGrin Thanks for posting that up Tom. Maybe the publishers should print a few more copies now that DeAg are rolling their Zero out of the Hangar this Xmas ??

P.S. - Would buy a copy if I could find one at a sensible price, but I fear you have now sent hundreds of wannabe Kamikazes diving towards the last few copies !! LOL LOL

Cheers ... Kev. BigGrin
Tomick
#3 Posted : 25 November 2011 17:49:09

Groups:

Tomick
#4 Posted : 26 November 2011 16:55:57

Groups:

For those who want to go the extra mile to compliment the 1/16 Zero, Tamiya do a 1/16 scale WWII Japanese Navy fighter pilot kit ref: 36312

Here's one on eBay..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...amp;hash=item4aaf34dbff

And a build clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGQkhiI-fos
Tomick attached the following image(s):
Jap pilot.jpg
SennaMentalMe
#5 Posted : 27 November 2011 12:53:25

Groups:

BigGrin Hi all,

I have decided that I won't be building the Zero, but I have been looking around and found this for those who want it ??

Same Tamiya figure but significantly cheaper than Tom's find !! Flapper BigGrin :

http://www.buyforlessonl...20Military%20-%20Tamiya

Get 'em quick before they go back up in price, remember - supply and demand!! ThumpUp

BigGrin Kev.
farrabass
#6 Posted : 28 November 2011 20:21:13

Groups:

This model has caught my ATTENTION!!
I did sign up for the hachette Lancaster build but cancelled very early on due to very bad customer service, in fact I only ever received the first issue and had nightmares after that.
I'm intrigued by the discription of an all metal build? I have constructed models from plastic in the past and the odd Guillows' balsawood kit, and more recently wooden period ships, I'm on my third one at the moment. How easily does a complete metal kit fit together? brass solders quite easily but white metal is a different beast altogether, I have used super glue on small cast components in the past, but these have usually had supporting pins inserted into the parts first, and then getting the drill holes lined up for a seemless fit is a skill in itself.
I would hope that all paints and sundries would be made available through the site shop and if possible a sample of the build instructions could be posted as a tester to allow an examination of what is likely to follow, any additional optional extras could also be posted so as to get a figure in mind of what the total outlay may be.
But I am certainly considering this for my next partwork. If Karl has seen this thread, oh! you've ordered already.
SennaMentalMe
#7 Posted : 28 November 2011 20:46:55

Groups:

BigGrin Go for it Stephen, you know you want to !!! LOL LOL

I am sure that any problems you might come across in the build process will have an answer on here somewhere, from someone, so why worry about not having the necessary skills and you will always have Tom to show you the way anyway ??

I suspect there could be more Zeros here on ModelSpace when this takes off (Pun intended) than there was over Pearl Harbour on that famous 'Day of Infamy' !! LOL LOL

BigGrin Kev
Tomick
#8 Posted : 28 November 2011 21:31:30

Groups:

farrabass wrote:
This model has caught my ATTENTION!!
I did sign up for the hachette Lancaster build but cancelled very early on due to very bad customer service, in fact I only ever received the first issue and had nightmares after that.
I'm intrigued by the discription of an all metal build? I have constructed models from plastic in the past and the odd Guillows' balsawood kit, and more recently wooden period ships, I'm on my third one at the moment. How easily does a complete metal kit fit together? brass solders quite easily but white metal is a different beast altogether, I have used super glue on small cast components in the past, but these have usually had supporting pins inserted into the parts first, and then getting the drill holes lined up for a seemless fit is a skill in itself.
I would hope that all paints and sundries would be made available through the site shop and if possible a sample of the build instructions could be posted as a tester to allow an examination of what is likely to follow, any additional optional extras could also be posted so as to get a figure in mind of what the total outlay may be.
But I am certainly considering this for my next partwork. If Karl has seen this thread, oh! you've ordered already.

There are no optional extras to buy, and the total outlay will be as per what is listed in the subscription, other than the need for paint, modelling tools and glue's.
I doubt that paint will be made available in the shop, but the colour matches are available via White Ensign and Tamiya, or other types such as those already mentioned by Snapdragon.

spity360
#9 Posted : 28 November 2011 22:49:24

Groups:

Nah! not for me
now if they did a P-51 or a Stuka those are interesting aircraft
but a Zero!
SennaMentalMe
#10 Posted : 28 November 2011 23:22:54

Groups:

spity360 wrote:
Nah! not for me
but a Zero!

BigGrin The Zero was one of THE best fighters to come out of World War II though, even if it was lacking in armour protection and easily shot down because of it ?? Nice looking aircraft too methinks!! BigGrin

BigGrin Kev.
farrabass
#11 Posted : 29 November 2011 00:43:58

Groups:

This thread has realy got the juices flowing, I am in a mind to say YES! I need to do this model.
How will I store and display the wretched thing?????
What will I do with it when it's done?
Anybody need an Old very slightly used wife, some modifications and updates will be required!
It would free up some space in my bedroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Genuine callers only, you know who you arghhCrying
SennaMentalMe
#12 Posted : 29 November 2011 08:04:26

Groups:

BigGrin Hi Stephen,
Go on, you know you want it, so why tear yourself up about it, just do it !!! LOL

It will be a nice change for you from the wooden ship modelling and as far as display goes, why not build/convert or have built for you, a coffee table with a glass top and sides so that it can be placed inside with a diorama or such like ?? Seen it done before and it looks amazing, a real talking point when the wiffy has her wine and cheese parties and that way she might like it too ??
Even if you don't display it you could just carefully pack it away in the loft and bring it out to play with when she's gone to work !! Cool

P.S. - you didn't hear this from me OK, just in case your wife get's the 'ump about it !! LOL LOL

BigGrin Kev.
Tomick
#13 Posted : 29 November 2011 09:02:36

Groups:

SennaMentalMe wrote:
spity360 wrote:
Nah! not for me
but a Zero!

BigGrin The Zero was one of THE best fighters to come out of World War II though, even if it was lacking in armour protection and easily shot down ?? Nice looking aircraft too methinks!! BigGrin

BigGrin Kev.

Quite true Kev, when it was introduced early in World War II, the Zero was considered the most capable carrier-based fighter in the world, combining excellent manoeuvrability and having a very long range.

In early combat operations, the Zero gained a legendary reputation as a "dogfighter", achieving the outstanding kill ratio of 12 to 1.

A combination of excellent manoeuvrability and firepower meant that the Zero quickly gained a fearsome reputation, it easily disposed of Allied aircraft sent against it in the Pacific in 1941, and proved a difficult opponent even for the Spitfire. Although not as fast as the Spit, the Zero could out-turn the Spit with ease, could sustain a climb at a very steep angle, and could stay in the air for three times as long.

By 1943, inherent design weaknesses and the increasing lack of more powerful aircraft engines meant that the Zero became less effective against newer enemy fighters that possessed greater firepower, armour, and speed, and approached the Zero's manoeuvrability.
Although the A6M was outdated by 1944, it was never totally supplanted by the newer Japanese aircraft types, and therefore left its mark in aircraft history as did the Spit.

During the course of the war, more Zeros were built than any other Japanese aircraft.
SennaMentalMe
#14 Posted : 29 November 2011 09:11:22

Groups:

BigGrin Thanks for that Tom, interesting stuff, but could you please stop it now as you are making me seriously think about changing my mind and signing up to build this model ... Mmmmm what to do ??? LOL LOL

BigGrin Kev.

SennaMentalMe
#15 Posted : 29 November 2011 09:48:36

Groups:

BigGrin Something to whet your appetite guys !! It's only the Tamiya 1/48 plastic version, but this one has working wingtip lights and a brilliant sound module !! Enjoy the video :

http://www.youtube.com/w...HiA&feature=related

Next stop ... Pearl Harbour !! Pretty cool I think ?? Cool Cool

BigGrin Kev
SennaMentalMe
#16 Posted : 29 November 2011 12:17:49

Groups:

BigGrin Hi all,
Just like to say that I have had a closer look at this and from what I can see, this is going to be something special, so I have decided that this is TOO good to miss and I will after all be subscribing and building it, though I will be gathering a few issues before doing anything. I have also started collecting reference material to help with the build and I have ordered one of the Tamiya Pilot figures to go with it. I will stick some photos up of that when it is done.

Looking forward to this one now !! BigGrin ThumpUp

BigGrin Kev
kwakermad
#17 Posted : 30 November 2011 17:33:02

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

SennaMentalMe wrote:
BigGrin Hi all,

I have decided that I won't be building the Zero, but I have been looking around and found this for those who want it ??

Same Tamiya figure but significantly cheaper than Tom's find !! Flapper BigGrin :

Get 'em quick before they go back up in price, remember - supply and demand!! ThumpUp

BigGrin Kev.

Cheers Kev, now I have a pilot winging its way to my home. He just needs the plane. cant wait to get my hands on this model.
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/12 Spitfire (Deagostini)
1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)
S2ksean
#18 Posted : 30 November 2011 17:50:58

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Will this deafinatly be weekly partwork or will we be able to buy outright?
CURRENT BUILDS

Mclaren MP4-23
Ford 1/12 Shelby Mustang GT500 2010
HMS Pandora
SennaMentalMe
#19 Posted : 30 November 2011 18:07:31

Groups:

kwakermad wrote:
SennaMentalMe wrote:
BigGrin Hi all,

BigGrin Kev.

Cheers Kev, now I have a pilot winging its way to my home. He just needs the plane. cant wait to get my hands on this model.

BigGrin Glad to help Bob, I've also got one ordered. He's being transferred to my Squadron any day now, so when they are painted we will have to compare them to see who's is the most handsome !! LOL LOL

BigGrin Kev
kwakermad
#20 Posted : 01 December 2011 17:45:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

sounds like a plan Kev, will have to be after I get back from Afghanistan though or mine will still have that shop bought look LOL LOL
Regards

Bob

Builds in progress

1/12 Spitfire (Deagostini)
1/8 McLaren (Deagostini)
1/16 Stuka (Hatchete)
1/16 Zero (Deagostini)