Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Mayflower 400 - 1620 to 2020 Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 05 January 2020 19:03:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
DSCF3575.JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
tf64
#2 Posted : 05 January 2020 19:11:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony,

This will be a must see for me Tony, as this was one of my very first plastic builds to many years ago (no wood builds then).

Good luck

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

birdaj2
#3 Posted : 01 February 2020 20:18:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

THE MAYFLOWER – 01st February 2020

Just deciding which of the 2 kits I have available to make a start on.
I have an older Constructo kit that I am tempted to try.

Its single planked using some 2mm Bokapi wood strips. My preference would be to change this to basswood and then double plank using a thinner hardwood layer.

I picked this kit up second hand some time ago and while it’s the Older Constructo kit I ended up with some extras in the pack including a ready-made sail set which is included in the newer versions of this one.

I also have the Amati kit which I purchased last year.

I had been attracted to the wood finish but when I received the kit it seems they have changed the wood in the kit so it would make up nicely but not represent the picture on the box.

This one does include sails but you are left to sew these yourself so that is tending to steer me away somewhat from this one.

At the moment I am ready through both sets of build instructions to see if I can spot anything that would seriously catch me out (not being an expert builder).

Hope to make a decision shortly and then I can start building this one.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
mogwai
#4 Posted : 01 February 2020 20:49:16

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi look forward to following your progress on this,cheers mick. BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Gandale
#5 Posted : 02 February 2020 00:02:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now this is a build I will definitely be following and look forward to seeing it get under way....Cool Cool .. And, as you know Tony, should you need any assistance or advice you will always get it on this forum.... Good luck with whichever build you decide....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#6 Posted : 08 February 2020 19:31:24

THE MAYFLOWER 1620

There are no known plans or accurate details known of the original Mayflower so any of the kits you have available are based on the few written comments from the likes of diaries the Pilgrims wrote and the fact the original ship was of the Galleon style.

I have been contemplating from the 2 kits I have which one to build.
For me both have their own plus and negative points – what I like on one I am not so keen on the other and vice versus.

For instance, I like the colouring of the Amati kit but do not like the fact you have to make your own sails.

The Constructo timber is something I am not drawn to but (certainly in this kit) I have a set of ready-made sails.

In theory I could mash the two kits together to get the best of both but unfortunately, they are both of different scales.

I have done a couple of kit box reviews and while I will not be using the Amati kit at this time, I thought I would post the review in case anyone ne else has an interest and would like an idea of just what is in the box.

So, after much soul searching, instruction reading, looking at plans I have decided that my build of the Mayflower will use the Constructo kit.

Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#7 Posted : 08 February 2020 19:39:01

AMATI - MAYFLOWER

KIT NUMBER: 1413
SCALE: 1:60
LENGTH: 65 cm
STYLE: Single Planked Hull

PICTURES 1 & 2

What can be said about this kit is the box design is very eye catching.

PICTURES 3 & 4

The box contents are quite sparse.

You get 3 pre-sorted trays containing various fixtures and fittings. Some of the parts such as the anchors and chain pumps are from the standard Amati accessories range and as such are packed in the little card headed bags.

PICTURE 5

With this kit the sails have to be made by the builder and are supplied on 2 sheets of pre-printed sail material.

PICTURES 6 & 7

While I am sure there is sufficient timber in the kit to finish the model, it is immediately obvious that there is not going to much in the way of spare timber lengths in case of mishap.

That said the timber is of very high quality with nice straight edges and no roughness to the supplied lengths.

ONE POINT OF INTEREST: none of the timber is described by name (i.e. walnut, lime etc). The build instructions only refer to the timer size to use for a particular assemble stage so with this you need to make sure what that stage looks like and which colour of timber to select.

Another slight niggle (and not unique to this manufacturer is the use of “gooey” sticky tape to hold the timber lengths together. Picture 7 shows what this can do to timber in terms of staining it and that marking is not always easy to remove. It can also affect the wood if you are staining the part.

I tend to remove tape on kits I have and use elasticated thread to keep the wood sections together.

In the past I have seen Amati use the same elasticated thread or a piece of paper wrapped around the timber lengths and then taped (thereby keeping the glue off the wood.

PICTURES 8 through 11

In this kit we get 4 panels of laser cut parts. All very neatly done.
The 2 build stand pieces shown in Picture 9 are “Interesting” because they have no dowel rod to hold the 2 parts together in traditional stand fashion.

PICTURES 12 through 14

The assemble instructions in this kit consist of some text (pic 12) as well as a black and white drawn picture guide. Any text in the picture guide is in Italian and most of it centres on paint colours so fairly easy to translate via Google for instance.

PICTURES 15 through 20

The build is further supported by 2 sets of fully size plans. Again, all text on these is in Italian.

The plan sets are available to purchase on their own should you have a desire to scratch build and as such over half of one of the plans is taken up with full size kit part outlines.

All in all, a nice kit but for this build one that I will put aside for another day.

1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 08 February 2020 19:50:10

CONSTRUCTO - MAYFLOWER

KIT NUMBER: 80819
SCALE: 1:65
LENGTH: 70 cm
HEIGHT: 60 cm
WIDTH: 27 cm
STYLE: Single Planked Hull. However, refer to Picture 15 which explains how a second planking layer has now been included but not factored into the instructions.

PICTURES 1 & 2

This is one of the earlier versions of this Constructo kit that I purchased “second hand” at a good price some time ago.

New newer versions of this kit are available but apart from the fact they have ready made sails not to sure what other changes have been made.

What is interesting with this kit I have is that it seems to include a few parts from both the old and the new versions. Namely it has the original “Make your own” sails as well as the newer ready-made sail set.

PICTURES 3, 4 & 5

This is quite a packed box of parts.

Constructo put many of their parts into numbered bags which are then referenced in the instructions. It’s a nice method as it allows you to find parts very quickly.

PICTURES 6 through 10

Underneath the parts tray we find the laser cut parts.

In this kit we also receive a display stand that when varnished should look very nice.

In pic 10 there is that duplication of old and new kit I referred to. Here we have 2 die cut (not laser cut in this case) sheets that make up the fighting tops (crows next). On one of the sheets we have small triangles that form part of the hull decoration.

On the second sheet this is missing.

Referring to the TWO instruction books included (again old and new kit) it seems in the newer version of the kit this hull detail is cut from a timber length.

PICTURE 11

If there is one thing that stands out in this kit it’s the amount of timber.

I did check the instructions to see if I might have additional timber from a second kit but what I have is exactly the amount detailed in the instructions.

What is nice is that the instructions detail each wood piece by size as well as name.

The main wood used for the hull planking is referred to as “Bokapi” not a timber name I am familiar with and not one that seems to readily available should you require additional pieces.

The hull planking is also a thick 2mm timber to work with and having examined the wood its not in the slightest bit flexible so my plan is to replace the timbers in this kit.

PICTURES 12, 13 & 14

IN this kit we receive a colour picture guide as well as a text-based set of instructions (brief at a page and a half long) and a full breakdown of all of the parts being used.

I do like the layout of these Constructo instructions with each numbered part in the instructions showing you if that part is in one of the bagged parts, if it’s a standard timber length or if it’s a piece that needs to be cut from one of the supplied timbers.

PICTURE 15

This small slip of paper is included in the kit stating that after customer feedback Constructo have included a further pack of 0.5mm timer to act as a second planking layer. However, that layer is not factored into the build instructions and being a single colour, you are advised to plan carefully if you decide to use this part.

PICTURES 16 through 21

2 full size plan sheets are included with this kit (in my case duplicated with the same plans from an earlier version of the kit but exactly the same in what they show).

Everything looks easy enough to follow and there is no text to speak of on these plans that would need translation as there is with the Amati kit.

PICTURES 22 & 23

Couple of extras I have picked up. One being a very nice name plate that can be painted up.

Also managed to get my hands on a print of the Mayflower for framing but more importantly it gives some indication of a possible paint decoration scheme that I would like to try and incorporate into my build.

PICTURES 24, 25 & 26

I mentioned earlier that the kit supplied timber I am not overly happy with as it looks like it could be difficult to work with. Cornwall Model Boats do have a section for Bokapi but much of that is out of stock.

So, on that basis I am going to change the timber used on my build to bring it more in line with the timber supplied in the Amati kit.

I plan to use Lime as the first planking layer as this is nice and flexible and something, I am more familiar with. This will be topped off as a second planking layer using walnut.

Again, much of the timber I wanted I have struggled to get. A good part of what I did order came from Cornwall Model boats (always good on prices but more importantly very very good on their postage charges for timber lengths.

The bagged Amati lengths I had to source from another online supplier.
Not sure how much raw timber Artesania Latina supplied when they were in business but my assumption is the limited timber presently available may be down to this company folding last year.

So, there we have it. This Constructo kit will be the one I use to build my version of the Mayflower.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
Happy Modelling

Martyn Ingram
#9 Posted : 08 February 2020 20:21:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking forward to seeing this coming together Tony definitely my type of ship Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#10 Posted : 09 February 2020 00:49:20

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Think this is going to be a pleasure to follow, good luck with the build Tony...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 09 February 2020 10:14:47

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to following this one Tony. Love Love

Mark
tf64
#12 Posted : 09 February 2020 21:46:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tony,

This will be a lovely build, it has all the parts we dream about, looking forward to the next post.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

birdaj2
#13 Posted : 16 February 2020 17:25:27

THE MAYFLOWER – 16th February 2020

Made a start at last on this Constructo kit.

PICTURES 1 & 2

We start with the 2 laser cut sheets from the kit that hold the keel and bulkhead parts.

Quite pleased to find that even being an “old” second hand kit these sheets are nice and flat with no bowing that you sometimes find when kits have been stored (and not always in ideal conditions) for any length of time.

PICTURE 3

Its really important to ensure we place all of the bulk heads into the correct slots on the keel.

You may find in some kits the wood pieces are already numbered but, in this kit, we get a “Cut Sheet” that mirrors the wood sheet.

Its just a case of matching printed page to the wood sheet and transferring the piece numbers across.

PICTURE 4

We need to mount the keel into some sort of jig during the early stages of the build to ensure everything stays nice and straight.

In this instance I am going to use the pictured keel jig from Amati.

PICTURES 5 & 6

The parts are laser cut with smallish tabs left that need to be cut through in order to remove each section from the frame.

PICTURE 7

Once the pieces are removed you just need to carefully sand down and imperfections that might be left.

PICTURES 8 & 9

The parts we are working with are ply and there are a number of areas that will need some additional work as the inner wood is not of a very good quality and there are a number of areas (pic 8) that will need filling before we start planking this one.

So that some of these areas are not overlooked at a later stage I have marked them up as can be seen in Pic 9.

PICTURES 10 & 11

So, with the keel in its jig we now use the picture from the build guide to place each of the bulk head pieces into their correct locations. At this stage nothing is being glued in place.

PICTURE 12

What I did find is that none of the slots in either the keel or the bulkheads were wide enough to fit together.

To resolve this, I used the flat file from a set of “Fine” Permagrit files I have.

This really is a brilliant file and its shape and size is just about perfect for opening up slots such as this.

After some careful filing (we do not want to remove too much wood and cause more issues for ourselves) we can finally slot the bulkhead pieces into the keel.

PICTURES 13 Through 16

And that is the stage I left this at 3am this morning having sat through “Storm Dennis” as trying to get any sleep was just about impossible.

Next stages will be to mark out and shape the keel and then start gluing the bulkheads permanently in the keel.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
Happy Modelling

mogwai
#14 Posted : 16 February 2020 19:01:52

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi nice start hope all goes well for you as you build this. Cheers mick. BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
tf64
#15 Posted : 16 February 2020 22:08:16

Hi Tony very good start, it really looks a great kit to build hope you don't have to many problems with the slot's.

Watching out for the next post.

Regards

Trev

Gandale
#16 Posted : 16 February 2020 23:49:49

Good to see you up and running with this Tony, look forward to seeing it progress.... Lovely detailed start....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#17 Posted : 26 February 2020 19:54:12

THE MAYFLOWER – 26th February 2020

Not a lot of progress in terms of how the kit looks so far.

That is mainly down to the fact there are quite a number of issues that needed to be corrected.

Leaving the following “errors” in place will come back to haunt the modeller at a later stage of the build so time spent now should, in theory, pay dividends later.

I will try and break this down into the various correction stages I have had to sort.

FRAME SHAPE CORRECTION

PICTURES 1 & 2

Frame 7 is one of the mid-section frames and as such should mirror closely the frames either side of it.

With frame 7 however there are 2 distinct dips that you can see arrowed in Pic 1.

If you refer to the Cut sheet (Pic 2) we can see the frame should have a nice some curve with NO indents.

PICTURES 3 & 4

There may be several methods builders might use to repair this defect but for me using filler is a No No as that tends to be a poor solution with the potential the filler will flake away.

The easiest method I have found is to put the frame back into the fret it arrived on (pic 3) and to remove a section of the fret that can then be glued to the frame (pic 4).

PICTURES 5, 6 & 7

Once the section of fret is removed (pic 5) we can glue this to the frame (pic 6) and to ensure this dries without movement its held in place with a piece of tape until dry (pic 7)

PICTURES 8, 9 & 10

When the part is properly glued in place, we can use a file or a sanding block and CAREFULLY start to reduce the section of wood we have added (pic 8)

We keep going, very carefully until we reach the point that “plug” running into the frame slot simple falls away (pic 9)

Looking at Pic 10 we can see that the frame has now taken on the correct curve and can also see just how small the repair is (arrowed).

1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#18 Posted : 26 February 2020 19:59:58

HOLES IN THE FRAME SIDES

PICTURE 11

I mentioned in my last update that a number of holes have been found in the frame sides.

Having spent some proper time looking at all of the frames in details I found around 7 areas that require filling.

Various fillers would be ideal but as I had this Ronseal product available that is what I have used.

PICTURES 12, 13 & 14

Here we can see one of the imperfections.

Fairly straightforward to resolve with the wood filler.

Just fill slightly proud to allow any minor shrink back as the filler dries (I did notice that with this particular filler is does not shrink as some other brands do.

PICTURES 15 & 16

Once the filler is dry its just a case of carefully sanding back to neaten up the repair.
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#19 Posted : 26 February 2020 20:04:00

FRAME SEATING

PICTURES 17, 18 & 19

Another issue I encountered was a number of the frames sat far too low in their slots.

This can be quite common issue with these type kits and its worth spending time to correct this.

In these pictures you can see how the frame tops sit lower than the top of the false keel.

PICTURES 19A, 20, 21 & 22

Again, individual modellers will have their own preferred methods to resolve this but for me I just build up the slot in the false keel until the frame top sits flush with the false keel top.

I start of with slivers of 0.5mm plank offcuts and the addition of 1 or 2 of these resolves most issues.

Were 0.5mm is still too large I will resort to pieces of paper as we can see in Pics 21 and 22.

PICTURES 23, 25 & 26

Once the various shims are in place, we can see the tops of the frames are nicely back in level with the top of the false keel.

17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
19A.JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#20 Posted : 26 February 2020 20:09:11

BEARDING LINE

PICTURE 27

One of the things we need to consider is the so-called Bearding Line.
Basically, we need to ensure that when the planking is completed its blends in with the width of the stern post.

The keel has a thickness of 4mm and we will be applying 4mm thickness of planking (2mm port and 2mm starboard) so will end up at the stern with a thickness of 8mm.

The stern post is 5mm thick so what would happen, unless we correct now, the stern planking will sit proud of the stern post.

We need to reduce the thickness of the stern end of the false keel to cater for this.

The kit is sadly lacking in any detailed build instructions and it’s a case of having to refer to the 2 sheet plans, the pictorial guide and the page and half of written instructions and having scanned all of that the only reference to any sort of Bearding Line is this arrowed diagram in Pic 27.

It appears to indicate we need to reduce the keel at the stern to a thickness of 1mm.

PICTURES 28 & 29

As mentioned, there is NOTHING in the instructions to mark out this area so the best way, I have found of doing this is to fit all of the frames in place.

As we get to the stern area there will be a space between the rear frames and the base of the keel and it’s from this point, we need to make the Bearding Line.

I have marked out the shape using a flexible curve and using this curve it allowed me to transfer the exact same shape to the opposite side of the keel.

PICTURES 30, 31 & 32

Now there are many methods we could use to reduce this section down. But as we need to do this slowly and precisely (or as precisely as skills allow) I would personally not use a power tool (i.e. Dremel or the like) to achieve this.

For me one of the best little tools I picked up was this little angled sanding block. Being wedge shaped it allows you to create a similar wedge on the keel as you carefully reduce the size of this area.

Pics 31 and 32 is were I have left this. The rear of the stern is now down to 1mm in section but once I start looking at the planking and how it sits, I may need to big this sanding task more inboard of where I stopped.
27..JPG
28..JPG
29..JPG
30..JPG
31..JPG
32..JPG
Happy Modelling