Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages «<234
Mayflower 400 - 1620 to 2020 Options
birdaj2
#61 Posted : 28 June 2020 21:34:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

COMMENCING THE DECK PLANKING.

The plans for this kit have the deck planks fitted on a 2-shift pattern but wanting to change the look I have opted to use a 3-shift pattern.

PICTURE 21

Working with a 60mm long plank and trying to achieve a 3-shift pattern means we need to stagger the plank ends by 20mm, 40mm and 60mm.

I have started to layout this pattern to give me something to follow, on the false deck.

PICTURE 22

Its also really important to try and keep the planking rows true and straight as even a slight deviation will be exaggerated over the complete deck and that is then the one thing that always ends up jumping out at you.

Here I have marked a 5mm centre line and pinned in scrap plank ensuring it is straight and true with the use of a steel rule.

PICTURES 23 & 24

And so on with the planking.

For this I am hand brushing a thin layer of Titebond (enough to fit one plank).

Too thick a layer and the “water” in the glue will cause the edge of the planks to curl slightly as they dry so you need to be wary of that.

A better option would be a contact adhesive but despite buying a tin of “non stringing gel type “I have still not plucked up the courage to try in.

Maybe another task to practice when I find that elusive “Time” one day.

PICTURE 25

Once we have a few lines of planking in place we can remove that centre line scrap plank that we started working from.

PICTURE 29

And this is one side of the decking completed.

Just to make sure everything is nicely seated I run the edge of a steel rule using form pressure along the lines of the planking.

This seem to deal with any slight edge curling that may have occurred.

PICTURE 30

And this is as far as I have progressed today.

I initially made up 6 bundles of planks and it was not quite enough to finish the whole deck (in fact one of the Lime strips I used has more of a noticeable grain that only showed when I went to use it so that was one pack of planks wasted.

I should be able to get some more planks made up after work as this week progresses and then back onto completing the deck planking very soon.

Until the next time Happy Modelling and Stay Safe.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
29..JPG
30..JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
goddo
#62 Posted : 28 June 2020 21:56:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

I imagine a lot of hard work would be in store if you don't get those mast holes cut correctly.
But it looks like you've mastered it. Well done.
Chris
Markwarren
#63 Posted : 29 June 2020 08:32:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work, looks like a good bit of engineering. Love Love

Mark
Garth
#64 Posted : 01 July 2020 14:51:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Tony,
Your deck is looking fantasticDrool Drool Drool
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
CaptnBirdseye
#65 Posted : 02 July 2020 08:55:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Great build Tony, and loving your diary ThumpUp
birdaj2
#66 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:20:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Chris/Mark/Garth/Gray

Many thanks for adding some comments - makes it all worthwhile.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#67 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:22:18

THE MAYFLOWER – FRIDAY 17th JULY 2020

Still slow work on this one as I am having to take some time out to think through the build as my intention of changing out the wood and also to double plank means some careful thinking in order to maintain the colour patterns the kit is intended to have.

Also had one of those “Victory Meldrew” moments during construction this week. A combination of being over tired and pressing on when I should have parked the build saw some damage to the model – will explain below.

DECK PLANKING CONTINUED

PICTURE 1

So, carrying on from were I last left off I have pressed on and completed all of the deck planking (apart from the Bow).

The reason for leaving the Bow at this point is the fact I need to get the angle correct to drill the hole for the bowsprit and want to avoid any damage which could occur if the deck planks are in place.

PICTURES 2 & 3

And this is were it gets “complicated” as I am deviating from the kit instructions in terms of the wood I am using (Lime first planking which will be followed by walnut).

The instructions are based on a single planking using Bokapy (A dark wood).

So as in picture 2 I am starting to plank above deck level and the on-deck view of this plank means if I add this plank as LIME, I would then need to line that plank along the deck with a walnut strip.

Or, as I have done here, use a Walnut strip so that the view from the deck is of the correct colour and does not need any complicated additional lining out.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#68 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:25:02

ITS THAT “VICTOR MELDREW” MOMENT “I DON’T BELIEVE IT!!!!!”

PICTURES 4, 5 & 6

I took the kit outside to sand down the decks just to take out any slight imperfections and had it balanced (not very well) on top of the Wheelie Bin.

Turned my back for a second and next minute big crash as the model dropped to the paving slabs below snapping off the stern castle piece.

Now that is bad enough but would you believe that snapped off piece (Picture 6) decided to break into 5 pieces ☹

Now several options to try and repair this: I have glued the 5 broken pieces back together and could glue this piece back to the stern,(possibly using some pegs just to add a bit more strength to the repair)

Another option might be to try and remove the whole piece and to cut a replacement from some spare wood. That would not be a problem as I have the fret the parts were pressed from so could trace that outline.

Getting the part of might be more of an issue so I will have to decide the best course of action.

4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#69 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:26:45

DECK STAINING

PICTURES 7, 8 & 9

Having sanded back the decks I decided to stain them. My personal choice is an ethanol-based wood stain that is supposed to be “Light Oak”.

Now in the past I have not had many issues brushing this on to other models but on this occasion, it seemed to dry extremely quickly leaving me with what I considered a rather patchy finish.

Not happy with the result I wiped the decks off using Methylated Spirit and a soft cloth.

PICTURE 10

This is how things look (actually lighter that reality) having cleaned most of the stain off the decks.

7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#70 Posted : 17 July 2020 19:29:57

BULK HEAD PLANKING

PICTURE 12

The next stage is to start planking the bulkheads and in the case of the main deck is required to be completed now otherwise we cannot progress with the remaining hull planking.

The instructions call for 1 x 6mm Bokapy but I have exchanged this for 1 x 6mm Walnut.

As you can see from this picture a straight plank will not take the shape of the deck camber without some additional work.

PICTURES 13, 14 & 15

So how to shape the first plank so that it matches the deck camber as best I can?

In my tool kit I found a cheap pattern gauge. Its not a very good quality unit as some of the pins are very stiff so had to loosen some of the screws to make the unit at least partially usable.

PICTURES 15 & 16

Just a case then of transferring the shape from the gauge onto the first plank we intend to install and to carefully (watching fingers) out that shape.

Picture 16 shows the first plank offered up to see what it looks like. At this point it still needed some minor sanding down to get it to fit.

PICTURE 17

So, we can then glue the plank in place and continue up the bulkhead with additional straight plank lengths.

In this picture I have just wiped down any excess glue which is why the wood looks “shiny”.

PICTURE 18

Another hurdle that I will have to tackle is the supplied stem post. Would you believe that it appears to be “designed for another kit” and does not fit around the false keel.

Made no changes to the keel so its this part that is at fault and its going to take some working out to correct.

The reason I mention it is because it has a support for the bowsprit so in order to drill out the bowsprit hole at the correct angle it was necessary to bring this part into play.

Managed to get the hole drilled and as you can see here the bow is now planked.

In terms of my deck plank colouring if you refer back to PICTURE 17 that shows the deck colour as it is with that excess stain removed.
I am thinking it looks ok and may proceed without changing it from how it looks now.

So, more work planned for the build over this weekend but that may be slow having a bow post to correct as well as a repair to undertake on the stern.

Until the next time Happy Modelling and Stay Safe.
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
Happy Modelling

magpie1832
#71 Posted : 17 July 2020 22:55:00

Lovely deck planking. Very neat and straight, always sets the model off.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#72 Posted : 18 July 2020 10:12:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work Tony, coming together beautifully.... Very neat idea to use the pattern gauge, something to remember for future builds....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Sticky Wickett
#73 Posted : 23 July 2020 21:47:25

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful planking Tony! First rate!Love

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
goddo
#74 Posted : 24 July 2020 07:59:38

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Nice work Tony. Keep it coming.
Chris
Garth
#75 Posted : 30 July 2020 19:44:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Tony,
Planking looks great!!!
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.