Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Plastic Roof? Options
Split 66'
#1 Posted : 07 January 2020 18:55:58

Groups: Registered

I'm very surprised that the outer roof has turned out to be plastic. The advertising said this was a metal model. I'm not sure how to deal with this disappointment. I don't want to cancel my subscription, but this was not a good surprise.
andali15
#2 Posted : 07 January 2020 19:43:23

I too was disappointed when the roof parts arrived and were plastic. Saying that it fits well as if it had been metal there would be ‘ no give’ when fitting to body. My other concern was the colour but does match well, can look a slight different shade depending on the lighting area you show it in. Andy.
Split 66'
#3 Posted : 08 January 2020 18:17:10

It would be great if the company that makes the Day Tripper mod for this kit: https://modelmodz.com/T1...per-Mod-Pack-p136694333
- with those realistic looking license plates, if they could make a metal roof for this kit. Or if DeAgostini would make a separately sold metal roof for this kit.

I've had a few problems with my kit already, and I'm only on the second pack. The plastic roof is about the last straw for me.
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 08 January 2020 19:09:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Split 66' wrote:
It would be great if the company that makes the Day Tripper mod for this kit: https://modelmodz.com/T1...per-Mod-Pack-p136694333
- with those realistic looking license plates, if they could make a metal roof for this kit. Or if DeAgostini would make a separately sold metal roof for this kit.

I've had a few problems with my kit already, and I'm only on the second pack. The plastic roof is about the last straw for me.

My personnel opinion has to agree with Andy in post #2 and the reasons are as follows:

I don`t think the whole body frame and roof could have been made in one piece, so you would therefore have fit issues with the roof to the body if the roof was metal. With a plastic roof you do have a little flexibility to counter this problem.

As I have said in another thread on the same issue of the plastic roof, if the roof were to be metal and painted you would have an issue with the sliding roof wearing through the paint of the roof and looking unsightly.

Covering a statement that this kit will be supplied with a metal body, then that is exactly what people will receive, (a metal body).

That said, if you have had an issue with your first two packs then please let me know by PM what the issues were and a resolution can be discussed. If the issue is an assembly problem, then if you start a build diary with some pictures people can offer you assistance at a stage that will help you before you build to far.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Split 66'
#5 Posted : 09 January 2020 05:41:08

For the sliding roof, a real Bus has aluminum tracks that the sunroof bows slide on phenolic blocks.

This models plastic sunroof bows sliding on aluminum or stainless metal strips, would've been closer to the real thing.

The roof should've been made of steel, nothing will change my mind on that subject. Tolerances and accommodations could have been made, it would not have been impossible. For $1,400+?

The problem with my kit, is that my VW logo on the nose, had the chrome worn off in shipping. I reported this and received another that was even worse. Rather than have them keep sending me entire packs with the same chrome worn logo, I just accepted it.

The right-side window-frame trim won't stay in the track, or hold in properly. The chrome is thin and flakes easily. The replacement window frame is on the way, but will it be the same as the logo situation all over again?

This is a very expensive model that was a blind commitment of sorts, understanding my disappointment at the plastic roof should be fairly easy.
admin
#6 Posted : 09 January 2020 17:51:34

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I strongly suspect that the roof was NOT metal for a very simple reason;

It’s VERY difficult to cast large, thin, flat pieces of metal without warpage as the casting cools. Especially when there is a large cutout involved.
Split 66'
#7 Posted : 07 April 2020 00:32:55

I have purchased, and have had all 12 packs for about a month now. I am still waiting on my replacement roof, Pack 11, part 100-1 Roof, that was cracked in shipping on the driver side windows, it cracked through the sun roof rail.

Is there a more expedient method of getting this replaced than calling in? I've called 3 times now and never get a direct answer.

Gandale
#8 Posted : 07 April 2020 08:21:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Split 66' wrote:
I have purchased, and have had all 12 packs for about a month now. I am still waiting on my replacement roof, Pack 11, part 100-1 Roof, that was cracked in shipping on the driver side windows, it cracked through the sun roof rail.

Is there a more expedient method of getting this replaced than calling in? I've called 3 times now and never get a direct answer.

Send a PM to admin outlining your problem, admin will see what can be done. Don't forget to supply your name and subscription details.

Regards

Alan
Split 66'
#9 Posted : 07 April 2020 17:21:21

Which Admin should I send a PM to?
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 07 April 2020 17:28:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Split 66' wrote:
Which Admin should I send a PM to?

If you look at post #6 in this thread you will see a post by Admin. Look to the bottom of that post and you will see the PM tag. Click on that and it will bring up the start of a PM to Admin. Type your topic and leave your message with the required info.

Hope this helps. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Split 66'
#11 Posted : 07 April 2020 17:38:37

I just went ahead and purchased Pack 11 again, over the phone. Hope this roof makes it intact this time.
admin
#12 Posted : 07 April 2020 20:12:33

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Replacement parts ship to the US, from the UK. It can take up to 3-4 weeks to get spares.
Split 66'
#13 Posted : 08 April 2020 07:34:27

The problem is that there seems to be no replacement parts at this time, only complete Packs.