Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

16 Pages 123>»
Malc's 1/12 Alfa Tipo 158 Options
RM1
#1 Posted : 08 January 2020 09:28:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Wishing all a happy and productive modelling new year.BigGrin
My recent build of the Italeri Fiat 806 has sparked an interest in older F1 cars of which the Alfa Romeo 158 ( Alfetta ) is a significant example. The type 158 and its successor the 159 took 47 wins out of 54 starts. When Formula one became a world championship series in 1950 the winner of the very first GP ( European GP at Silverstone in May ) was this Alfa with Giuseppe Farina at the wheel. He went on to win the first world championship drivers title ( there were only 7 races that counted toward the championship that year one of which was the Indy 500 which few competitors went to because it needed such a different kind of car ! ). The 158 is a primarily a pre-war design with a supercharged straight eight 1.5l engine.
This kit is an MFH multi-media 1/12 scale model. Predominantly die cast with a resin body. The build is going to be quite a challenge and will take many months ( based on my experience with 1/20 MFH builds ).
So here we go....

RM1 attached the following image(s):
A158-2.jpg
A158-1.jpg
RM1
#2 Posted : 08 January 2020 09:36:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The parts of this kit do not come attached to the casting sprues . They are packed in a number of plastic bags. ( must be a tedious job to ensure that all parts are present ).
The instructions are good quality as are the decal sheets.
My first job will be to identify the parts and store according to the instructions step number. This will make sure everything is there.BigGrin
A158-3.jpg
A158-4.jpg
A158-5.jpg
A158-6.jpg
A158-7.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 08 January 2020 09:40:35

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Now this Love looks VERY interesting Drool Love Drool
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 08 January 2020 10:52:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice, I’ve had my eye on this kit myself. Will be watching with interest.BigGrin Cool

Mark
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 08 January 2020 11:05:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That looks like an amazing kit.
I have no doubts that will create another stunner.
I also love the older F1 cars so I'll be watching with keen interest.

Roy.
Gandale
#6 Posted : 08 January 2020 23:17:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Going to enjoy following this one Malc, good luck with the build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 09 January 2020 03:03:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

oooh I started this but didnt have the skills so put it on hold.It will be great to watch someone as talented as you take this on.

Carl
birdaj2
#8 Posted : 10 January 2020 06:08:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Malc

That looks to be a very complicated kit to build.

I love the look of these older race cars and will be very interested in seeing how you build something like this.

Just looking at the instruction sheet you posted were it will have you using templates to cut aluminium sheet looks difficult enough.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
RM1
#9 Posted : 15 January 2020 10:15:52

Thanks guys for looking in and commenting. It is going to be a challenge....

@Tony, fortunately the templates are not for sheet Aluminium. They are for self adhesive Aluminium foil ( phew ) Cutting sheet would have presented problems.
Malc.
RM1
#10 Posted : 15 January 2020 10:17:46

The individual parts are not numbered or attached to a sprue so my first task is to go through each of the assembly stages and identify the bits and pieces. I’ve then put each set in a plastic bag with the stage number marked on it. This is also a good way to check that everything is there. ( It’s not unknown for parts to be missing from MFH kits ).

Here's the parts for stages 1,2 and 3.

Malc.
A158-8.jpg
A158-9.jpg
A158-10.jpg
A158-11.jpg
RM1
#11 Posted : 15 January 2020 10:27:40

All parts present BigGrin and ready to begin BigGrin
Malc.
A158-12.jpg
A158-13.jpg
A158-14.jpg
Garth
#12 Posted : 23 January 2020 10:58:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Malc,
A belated Happy New yearBlushing
Good luck with your new project. I will defiantly be following!!!
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
RM1
#13 Posted : 24 January 2020 19:26:04

Garth wrote:
Hi Malc,
A belated Happy New yearBlushing
Good luck with your new project. I will defiantly be following!!!
Kind regards,
Garth

Happy new year to you as well Garth. !!
Thanks for looking in.
Malc
roymattblack
#14 Posted : 25 January 2020 10:15:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That looks like a project and a half.
I have no doubt you'll make an epic build of it.

Roy.
admin
#15 Posted : 26 January 2020 19:07:37

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I just pulled mine out. I’ve got the 159. There are some truly amazing builds of this kit out there.
RM1
#16 Posted : 29 January 2020 13:55:50

roymattblack wrote:
That looks like a project and a half.
I have no doubt you'll make an epic build of it.

Roy.

Hi Roy. It's certainly not a kit to be taken lightly BigGrin but I'll give it my best shot !
Malc.
RM1
#17 Posted : 29 January 2020 14:04:09

admin wrote:
I just pulled mine out. I’ve got the 159. There are some truly amazing builds of this kit out there.

Hi Mark. Thanks for looking in. Yes there's a couple of very impressive builds to be found. It's incredible what some model builders achieve.

I hope you can start your 159. Would be great to see another one progress.

Malc.

RM1
#18 Posted : 29 January 2020 14:15:18

So...on to part 1. This covers the major parts of the engine and supercharger.

I'm doing as much pre-assembly and dry fitting as possible. There's at least a hundred holes to be drilled and some tapped across the whole model. It's also important to look ahead from each assembly stage to judge if there's some wiring hole or pipe fitting that would almost impossible to create further down the line.

The block and head are resin cast but the rest is white metal which I'm prepping with a magnetic tumbler ( I put some notes on that in the "Model making know how" section ).
A158-14a.jpg
A158-15.jpg
A158-16.jpg
RM1
#19 Posted : 29 January 2020 14:17:40

All parts polished and ready for painting.
A158-17.jpg
A158-18.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#20 Posted : 29 January 2020 16:11:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love Envious....very Envious Drool Love Drool