Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Gluing sepele strips to hull Options
Flyteach
#1 Posted : 12 January 2020 17:39:06

Groups: Registered

As I'm getting ready to sand, putty, and then attach the sepele strips, I'm wondering if there's any advice on whether to use wood glue or something stronger? I wasn't sure how well the wood glue would adhere to the putty.
Thanks!
Flyteach
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 12 January 2020 18:14:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi Flyteach the glue I use is PVA White wood glue for the second planking as its easy to use and clean up Cool
Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 12 January 2020 18:50:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Like martyn i also use the same woidglue that i have the the base build.

Never become slilled to use contact glues so i work on the final planking in exactly the same way asi did the first panking.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Flyteach
#4 Posted : 12 January 2020 20:02:45

Thanks very much for the quick replies. My Falcon and R2D2 builds were well within my wheelhouse of 40+ years of plastic models and engineering background, but this is my first venture into wooden models. I'm having a blast and learning a LOT of new techniques.
Jim
Flyteach
#5 Posted : 02 February 2020 21:18:48

As a follow up to this my earlier question, how smooth does the first hull planking need to be? Should it be a mirror finish? Reasonable (no finger pricks when moving hand along planks?
Thanks!
Martyn Ingram
#6 Posted : 02 February 2020 21:54:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi the first planking needs to be smooth without dips or high spots along the length of the hull . It doesn't need to be mirror finished in fact a slightly rough finished wood will give the second planking something to grip to. I finish mine with 200 grade sandpaper. Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Flyteach
#7 Posted : 04 February 2020 02:49:45

Thanks Martyn!
Flyteach
#8 Posted : 13 December 2020 15:14:42

Hi, the Constitution build went on hiatus as I started working from home (like many) and needed to keep other things in order. As I now start to refocus on working on her, I noticed that the second hull planking strips do not seem to be as long as the instructions allude. I can set up one at the bow extending to the fourth cannon and goes around the front as shown. Then I can lay 2 more along the hull they don't quite extend all the way to the aft end. It's about a half inch short. I can easily cut and glue in the small pieces needed to finish the line, but I wondered if there was something I did wrong and my model is too big? Or is this within the error bar? Generally, I've found the instructions spot on, so this seemed a bit out of character for the build.
Has anyone else had this experience? I'm having a blast building this!
Flyteach
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 13 December 2020 15:59:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Flyteach, BigGrin

From your description I think you cut the first plank too short.

You say you fitted it from the bow to the fourth gun port, but the official build says it should reach the "REAR" of the fourth gun port, so if I`m right then that`s why you are about half an inch short at the stern.Crying Crying

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Flyteach
#10 Posted : 13 December 2020 17:57:28

Thanks for the info, but I haven't cut anything. Second strip goes from rear of fourth port to front of tenth port. From front of tenth port to rear is about a half inch short, certainly not longer for trimming that third strip.
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 13 December 2020 18:47:58

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Flyteach wrote:
Thanks for the info, but I haven't cut anything. Second strip goes from rear of fourth port to front of tenth port. From front of tenth port to rear is about a half inch short, certainly not longer for trimming that third strip.

Ok, Confused

I`ve just looked at the download instructions:

Referring to pack 5 - page 104 - Instruction "H" it clearly shows that the second plank goes past gun post 10 (counting from the bow).

You say that your second plank stopped at the front of gun port 10.

Using the same pic from the instructions this indicates to me that the gun ports are in the wrong place. So can you confirm that the oblong hole in the centre hull plate is above gun port 6. If its not then it may be that you have that hull plate the wrong way round.

Just a thought as without a pic of your build I`m having to make assumptions/guesses.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Flyteach
#12 Posted : 13 December 2020 21:07:15

Hi Derek,
Mystery solved (kind of :)). I certainly appreciate you making me look closer. I found that the piece I was using to measure this out is not quite 250mm. How did I get that luck? I couldn't say, I know I haven't cut it and it came out of the kit, but it's been a while since I worked on it so not sure exactly which stage it was in. I'll be checking that out and when I used full length planks, it just barely, but does get to the back. Even if not, then if the pieces are slightly short, it's just a matter of cutting some small pieces to fit. I'm pretty sure it'll work out alright.

However, you made me look more closely and it appears I may have created a unique modification to my model. Looks like I got the top deck gunwales reversed as the oblong hole is much farther back than in the picture. It's much too late to correct without doing some major cutting with a saw <sigh>. But, it will take someone with a deep background (or access to these forums) to notice once it's finished.

Have a great day!

Flyteach
delboy271155
#13 Posted : 13 December 2020 22:23:20

Flyteach wrote:
Hi Derek,
Mystery solved (kind of :)). I certainly appreciate you making me look closer. I found that the piece I was using to measure this out is not quite 250mm. How did I get that luck? I couldn't say, I know I haven't cut it and it came out of the kit, but it's been a while since I worked on it so not sure exactly which stage it was in. I'll be checking that out and when I used full length planks, it just barely, but does get to the back. Even if not, then if the pieces are slightly short, it's just a matter of cutting some small pieces to fit. I'm pretty sure it'll work out alright.

However, you made me look more closely and it appears I may have created a unique modification to my model. Looks like I got the top deck gunwales reversed as the oblong hole is much farther back than in the picture. It's much too late to correct without doing some major cutting with a saw <sigh>. But, it will take someone with a deep background (or access to these forums) to notice once it's finished.

Have a great day!

Flyteach

Hi Flyteach,

Have sent you a PM.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)