Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages «<678
Who ya Gonna Call? Building Ecto-1 Options
Coser
#141 Posted : 16 July 2021 09:56:57

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Issue 20, stage 71.

Stage 71 works on the bonnet (hood) that we received waaaay back in issue 1. Hope you took good care of it.

First, we start making one of the hinges. This is quite a complex operation starting by attaching these three parts in a line.

The second arm is completed with the installation of the second toothed part.

The arms are connected to the base through the holes in the middle of the toothed sections. Note there are arrow markings on each toothed section that must point to each other to correctly align the parts. The bar is used to connect the two sections and complete the basic hinge.

Once the hinge is fully constructed like this, ensure you open it out all the way. This will minimise the distance that you have to stretch the spring and therefore minimise the chance of damaging it.

With the hinge constructed, we move on to the hood.

The hood inner frame is added to the underside of the hood with nine screws.

The hood lock and hood lock handle are now added to the underside of the hood. I must admit, these parts seem to be purely cosmetic. The hood opens without having to worry about fiddling with these components.

The front hood trim piece from issue 1 is now secured to the front underside of the hood.

The final part of this stage is installing the hinge to the hood. There is a hole in the hinge which enables you to get a decent angle to install the rearmost screw.

Stage 72.

Stage 72 is the second hood hinge and the central roof section. We will not be able to use this section until the next stage.

The second hinge is just a mirror of the first one, so I am not showing most of the construction of that as it is so soon after doing the first one.

The second hinge is then attached to the underside of the hood.

The hood is then attached to the front frame. At this point, with the body upside down, the hood will tend to droop. Once the right side up, and having checked that the hinge screws are correctly tightened, the hood will stay up when opened.

So this is what it looks like at the end of stage 72.

Stage 73.

Stage 73 is just the main roof panel. First we will attach the central panel from the previous stage.

There is an arrow in the underside of the central panel. This need to point to the front of the vehicle. This is the straight edge of the roof panel. There are two 'pointed' areas of the roof which go to the back where the rear door will fit.

This is then attached to the frame. This is where I came across the problem.

One side of the rear of the roof fits well.

The other side, not so much. This is the second time I've tried to install the roof. The first time I screwed in the second side first. That time the second side was the one that fit, and the first side didn't.

The fit on whichever side I try to attach second is so bad, I don't think the screw can even get far enough to start the thread.

So here is where I'm going to have to leave it again. I'll contact CS, send them the last two pictures, and ask for replacements for both the rear frame and the main roof panel as I have no idea which part is bent, but don't know what their reaction will be.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
Coser
#142 Posted : 29 July 2021 14:18:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

It's been a hot second and again I have not updated this thread.

I am actually no further along, but I hope to take another look at the roof this weekend. Wayne suggested I take a look at the fit as it may be there is interference in the fit, possibly caused by a thicker than intended layer of paint. As there is nothing in the contact area that will be visible when the car is finished, I may sand those areas and try again.

I am also waiting on the cushioned pad that Wayne uses in his videos. I have bought one from Partwork Upgrades, and it should be dispatched in the next few days, possibly received by the end of next week. This will mean I can cover my entire work area and not have to worry about scratching paint.

I will be busy in the early part of next week anyway preparing for an interview, so will not get anything posted before then but I will get some more updates posted as soon as possible after that.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Markwarren
#143 Posted : 29 July 2021 20:15:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is getting to be some size now, looking forward to the mods.

Mark
Coser
#144 Posted : 31 July 2021 22:32:08

OK, so that was a headache for nothing.

This was the damage to the paint just attempting to get the roof section on the frame. I found my rotary tool has a milling tool for it, so I installed that and gently took a very thin layer off the areas of the posts pictured above, and the holes in the rear frame where they also seemed to be binding.

Now the entire roof fits well. So here I am, continuing on with what I have done. Some of this involves some of the wires from stages 67. I am using these as necessary, keeping the rest in the box. I will finish off the wiring over the next week or so, I need to install the Powermod before I secure the interior - which I should have installed before now.

I also realised I had missed two screws securing the front frame around the engine to the front of the main frame section. I installed these now as there is quite a bit of turning the body on the roof to screw thins in and I didn't want any more stress on that join than necessary.

Stage 74.

This stage is just adding the chrome strip to the wheel well and adding the clips for the wires from the headlights.

I think the chrome trim looks great against the gloss white of the wing. The paintwork on this vehicle is looking great so far - the damage noted in this post will not be visible as it's on the upper side of the frame and the underside of the roof section.

The two clips will hold the wires from the front lights. The front clip (second picture) is easy to install. The rear one not so much. The screwdriver has to go at an angle due to the hinge mechanism on that side.

Stage 75

This stage we will install one of the chrome trims that run along the outside of the hood, one of the switches, and the fender we put the trim on last stage.

The trim is placed into position along the side of the hood and screwed into place with three screws from underneath.

This switch, from stage 66, is now installed in the frame. When wired, it will turn on the interior light when the door is opened.

The switch is placed into the location, and secured in place with the clamp. There is a small notch in the clamp which secures a peg on the side of the switch so that they can only be installed the correct way.

This blue wire, with the twin interior light LEDs on, is placed to run through this area like this. The front fender is then placed over the top, the frame turned over, and secured from behind.

We then move on to making the "Unity S6 Spotlight".

The blue lens is placed into the front of the light. There is a slight notch in the lens so it should be easy to place it in the correct orientation. I found my lens fell out every time I turned the unit over, so I just used some Micro Kristal Klear and glued it in. For those that don't know, Micro Kristal Klear is a white glue that dries completely clear.

The back is screwed to the spotlight, and then a plate is pushed in to hide the screw.

The spotlight is screwed into the mount from underneath. The spotlight will be installed in a later stage.

Stage 76

Stage 76 is installing the chrome trim on the other front fender.

Stage 77

This stage we install the other hood trim, switch, and fender.

First the trim gets put in place and screwed in.

The second interior light switch is installed in the same manner as the first.

The second fender is a little more complex than the first. The first addition to the fender is a mirror support.

This is installed and will then be secured from underneath.

The mirror support is the small, flatter item towards the left under the fender. Also added from underneath in this picture is the base for the short antenna. This is pushed through the frame and fender from underneath and screwed to the front frame from underneath. (This is the rounded rectangle in the picture. The round section will be for the long, base-mount antenna that will eventually be attached here and have the long aerial which connects to the equipment frame on the roof.)

This is what those installs look like from above.

There is also the piece that fits under the windscreen.

I installed that earlier by mistake. The front bumper section should also be installed, but I am leaving this of for a short while - it should be in the next update - as I have not installed the front lights and the two cross braces yet.

Stage 78

This stage we install the windscreen and its surround.

There is a protective film on the windscreen. It doesn't fully cover the windscreen, being rectangular, but does a good enough job. I peeled the film back a bit at the corners, just enough to clear the surround.

This is placed into position and fits snuggly into place. The frame holds the back of the windscreen, and the surround will sandwich the screen in place.

The surround is screwed in from underneath with 6 screws, and that finishes issue 21 for now.

And yes, she's a long one. Getting taller and will be taller yet once the equipment pack is on the roof.

Notes.

The chassis is not secured to these frames for the foreseeable, so I'm going to hunt up the front bumper assembly and get that installed next rather than working on the powermod. She'll look even more impressive as the doors go on. There are some slight problems with the doors coming up that I am aware of. The logos are slightly too large, are stickers despite having been promised that no stickers would be involved in the build. I already have correctly sized waterslide decals to replace them, and a 3D printed alignment jig to install them. The second front door also has a problem in that early versions were sent out with openings and fitments for a door mirror it shouldn't have. The message has gone out that people who have been affected by this will have a replacement door with stage 104, but will then have to remove all the fittings from the first version if they have fitted them. I will not progress my build past that stage if I end up in that position. I see no point in installing door furniture that I know I will have to remove later.

Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#145 Posted : 03 August 2021 10:25:22

I had my Partwork Upgrades package.

Covers for the Shelby and Ecto-1, and my build mat.

I have caught up with the build now, except for the powermod and front lights.

This is the internal wiring for the powermod. They have thoughtfully included extra power wires to power some of the mods.

This is the back of my front bumper. None of the wires in this picture would be there if you were building just with the parts included with the partwork. There are the main headlights still to be installed, and some small cable tidies for those wires. I am looking at getting some extension wires for the extra lights so I can install the box with the circuit board further to the rear. I'm currently looking at installing it in the fuel tank.

And that is now with the dust cover on.

I have an interview later, so will have to leave posting the rest of the build, and am expecting my next delivery shortly.
Current Builds

Finished Builds