Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <1234>»
MWG build diary of the Airfix 1/72 Zero fighter Options
MWG
#21 Posted : 06 January 2012 13:38:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Cheers for the heads up on the colour Kev,BigGrin the colour is much darker in real life, but your info on the colour supplies has been taken on boardBigGrin Thanks again Kev for your inputBigGrin .Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

SennaMentalMe
#22 Posted : 06 January 2012 14:44:29

Groups:

BigGrin Cheers Mike, always happy to help and there will be more of that as the Zero progresses. That's what makes the diaries so interesting I think - the fact that we can all feed off each other's info and experiences ?? Good stuff mate and look forward to seeing more photos.

BigGrin Kev
jase
#23 Posted : 06 January 2012 22:05:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

SennaMentalMe wrote:
BigGrin As you say Mike, good practice for the grandaddy Zero, which should make you the most experienced Zero builder when it begins ??
I was thinking of buying a Tamiya or Hasegawa kit to practice on and in either 1/48 or 1/32 scale and may go for the later Zero version (A6M5) with the stubby exhausts sticking out of the rear of the cowling, just like the shape of it at the front. Undecided just yet but got my eye on something !!

Not a criticism Mike just an observation but I think the green wash you have applied to the cockpit interior should be a tad darker in shade ?? Just looks a bit too pale to me but may just be flash from the camera of course ?? White Ensign Models do a very good match for the Zero interiors called 'Mitsubishi Interior Green' (what a coincidence ?? - LOL) in their enamel tinlets range of paints. May be useful when you come to build the biggy ??

BigGrin Kev

I am also thinking of kit bashing a Tamiya Zero. not sure what Zero is the most accurate in the injection molded world
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
MWG
#24 Posted : 07 January 2012 01:32:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Congratulations Jase I think that is a great choiceBigGrin

This Aifix 1/72 scale Zero is turning out to be a super fun build, I am glad I bought it.BigGrin

I am just in the process of cutting the wing tips off, to do the folding wing tip enhancement.BigGrin Enjoy your build Jase. Mike
MWG BUILD DIARIES: HMS VICTORY, SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS, SAN FRANCISCO II, HMS HOOD, HMS ENDEAVOUR LONGBOAT, HMS VICTORY X-SECTION, 007 DB5, NISSAN GTR, CUTTY SARK, RB7, AKAGI, BARK HMS ENDEAVOUR, HUMMER H1, MITSUBISHI ZERO.

MWG
#25 Posted : 07 January 2012 10:16:10

Good morning Kev I have just reread your post re the cockpit colour,Its my understanding the green colour you refer to was introduced for the (A6M5) series and this colour can be seen in the cockpit of (A6M5a) restored by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.BigGrin

The colour of the (A6M2b) cockpit appears to be a light blue,and even included some (A6M5)`s in this colour, if you have other data I would be very happy to share it and add it to mine,and if the info I have is not correct then I am happy to review it.

Hope you find the info usefullBigGrin Cheers Mike

SennaMentalMe
#26 Posted : 07 January 2012 10:26:45

Groups:

MWG wrote:
Good morning Kev I have just reread your post re the cockpit colour,Its my understanding the green colour you refer to was introduced for the (A6M5) series and this colour can be seen in the cockpit of (A6M5a) restored by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries.BigGrin

The colour of the (A6M2b) cockpit appears to be a light blue,and even included some (A6M5)`s in this colour, if you have other data I would be very happy to share it and add it to mine,and if the info I have is not correct then I am happy to review it.

Hope you find the info usefullBigGrin Cheers Mike

BigGrin Morning Mike,

That's interesting !! Wasn't aware of the light blue colour in earlier Zero cockpits, though I am still learning, like the rest of us !! I take it you aren't referring to the metallic looking 'Aotake' Blue, but an actual light blue paint ?? Aotake was used on some parts of the Japanese aircraft as a sort of barrier coating against corrosion, usually around areas like flaps, wheel bays, folding wing tips, etc.

Will have to do some more investigating when I get five minutes (very busy for a few days) and get back to you on it, so we can compare notes ?? What does your 'Aero Detail #7' book say about the early Zero cockpit colours ?? Maybe Tom has some info on the subject ??

Interesting stuff Mike, thanks for bringing it up !! ThumpUp BigGrin

P.S. - Edit to this post - Since writing this post, I have just found some more interesting sites that discuss the correct colours for Japanese aircraft colours and added them to the 'Aircraft Markings and Paint Reference' section in my library. Check them out, but I warn you they are somewhat confusing and it would seem that there has been a debate for many years about the correct colours !! I don't see 'Light Blue' mentioned anywhere for cockpit interiors, though there is some mention of the 'Aotake' blue, so maybe that is what you are seeing ?? If you have definite info about the use of 'Light Blue' Mike, please let me know where I can find it as it would be much appreciated !!

BigGrin Kev
MWG
#27 Posted : 07 January 2012 17:21:44

Hi Kev, no not the Aotake blue, I am aware of this colour, the description of light blue is my own I do not have any ref: to the actual colour, all I have are photos of both cockpits in my Aero Detail#7 but as you know I can not publish on the forum.BigGrin

But you are right the is a lot of ambiguity regarding the colours, I will have to see what the build instructions suggest before making my final choiceBigGrin We will get there in the end MikeCool

SennaMentalMe
#28 Posted : 07 January 2012 17:44:33

Groups:

BigGrin Hi Mike,

I will be doing more investigating before I get to the cockpit on the build and that is quite a way off yet anyway. From what I've read the original Mitsubishi Interior Green used on the production line was almost the same shade as the interior green used in American WWII aircraft but with a very slight greyish/brown hue to it. Also the Zero was made by both Mitsubishi AND Nakajima (under licence) and even then the interior green between the two varied slightly on the same aircraft, so what hope of getting it exactly right when even the original manufacturers of the Zero couldn't ?? Will be interesting to see what the instructions recommend as the model did originate in Japan so I would imagine they'd have a better idea than most as to what was used in reality ??

BigGrin Kev
MWG
#29 Posted : 07 January 2012 18:22:15

Kev, Agreed! BigGrin Mike

MWG
#30 Posted : 08 January 2012 17:07:12

AIRFIX 1/72 SCALE A6M2b MODEL 21 ZERO

Here we are again Team,wanted to do the folding wing tip enhancement the (b) inthe above model no denoted the folding wing tip modification in order that the plane could be stowed on Aircraft carriers.

The (a) suffix denoted non folding, for land based aircraft.

First I cutoff the wing tips;-
MWG attached the following image(s):
MWG JIN ZERO 027.jpg
MWG JIN ZERO 028.jpg
MWG JIN ZERO 029.jpg
MWG JIN ZERO 030.jpg
MWG JIN ZERO 031.jpg
MWG JIN ZERO 032.jpg

MWG
#31 Posted : 08 January 2012 17:14:38

AIRFIX 1/72 SCALE A6M2b MODEL 21 ZERO

Next I fitted the folding wing tip, the rear wings and fin.

I am very pleased with the result.

Next to do will be to fit the wheels and propeller assembly.

Comments welcomeBigGrin
MWG JIN ZERO 033.jpg
MWG JIN ZERO 034.jpg

MWG
#32 Posted : 12 January 2012 13:04:25

ISSUE 01 ZERO FIGHTER

Hi Team I have just looked at my subscription page the above issue ships on the 15th JanuaryDrool Drool BigGrin

Happy building

MikeBigGrin

P.S. better finish my 1/72 ZeroBlink Huh

MWG
#33 Posted : 12 January 2012 18:12:50

Thanks MR T I will be following your build, with interestBigGrin Mike

MWG
#34 Posted : 13 January 2012 11:27:20

Thanks for that MR TBigGrin Cheers Mike

MWG
#35 Posted : 14 January 2012 11:12:57

AIRFIX 1/72 SCALE A6M2b ZERO

Hi Team I am really having fun with this build, and the end is in sightBigGrin
The under carriage is now on, and she is painted:-
MWG JIN ZERO 035.jpg
MWG JIN ZERO 036.jpg

MWG
#36 Posted : 14 January 2012 11:17:12

AIRFIX 1/72 A6M2b ZERO

Now the engine cowl is on, and yes she stands up!!BigGrin Thats a miracleBlink :-
MWG JIN ZERO 037.jpg

MWG
#37 Posted : 14 January 2012 11:24:15

One of the great points I have enjoyed most about this kit is how quickly you can build it, and soon I will be able to see my finished work, and it will help me siting there while I build the BIG BOY!

I would recommend this kit to everyone, its good quality, fun and rewarding.

Now the props on!!!(Silver on the front black on the back)BigGrin Soon be finished:-

Questions and comments welcomeBigGrin Mike
MWG JIN ZERO 038.jpg
MWG JIN ZERO 039.jpg

jase
#38 Posted : 14 January 2012 11:40:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

How have you fond the fit? I stopped building Airfix kits because I got fed up with lots of flash and poor fit. may of their kits don't appear to have had new tooling since the 70s. I have to say your Zero looks really good. BigGrin
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
MWG
#39 Posted : 14 January 2012 11:47:22

The fit is seriously good, I have had very little trimming to do and no filling, and since they have Humbrol paint in their group, the paint is good, comes with the kitBigGrin

Thanks for your nice comment Jase,I am looking forward to your buildBigGrin Cheers Mike

MWG
#40 Posted : 14 January 2012 13:24:26

Just thought you would like to see the enhancement I have done with the rising sun banner on the pilots headBigGrin
MWG JIN ZERO 040.jpg