Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Quick question for the pros Options
BradB
#1 Posted : 05 February 2020 16:40:52

Groups: Registered

Hello: Totally new to the forum. I love reading all the tips and tricks as well as the rantings and ravings.

As of today, I completed the Shelby, the Porsche 911, the VW Beetle, the Jaguar, and the Thunderbird 2. I'm currently neck deep in the X-Wing and anxiously awaiting my first delivery of the Ford GT and the Agora super snake.

I suddenly have the hankering to start some sort of ship model. I've never attempted a ship. Just seeking some advice from the experts. Any suggestions on a solid brand or model to start with. I've even thought that maybe it might be best to with a cross-section build.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Brad B

Go Chiefs!
admin
#2 Posted : 05 February 2020 16:56:13

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Go who?? Go Broncos???

The great thing about the DeAgostini ship kits is the directions. If you’ve never built a ship model before, go this route. Check out Gandale’s build of the Wasa. That will get you fired up.
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 05 February 2020 20:30:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hi BradB,
welcome to the forum.I have built a few wooden ships.They are definitely more challenging than the car kits, but a ton of fun. The major issue with wooden ship kits is often the instructions are awful.I would highly recommend looking at some of the model space official builds including the youtube series of videos.These will guide you step by step through the build and teach you all the techniques you need to learn.

Carl

Gandale
#4 Posted : 06 February 2020 00:56:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Brad and welcome to the forum, great to have you aboard.

If you haven't built any kind of plank on frame kit then my recommendation would be to start with something small, something like the Swift. However, I see the Swift is out of stock for the US at the moment. The Victory X-Section is also a great one to start with and the instructions are superb. With these, if you find that building in wood is not for you then at least the financial outlay would be small in comparison to one of the larger kits. Once you've got the first one out of the way then you'd have an idea of what to expect taking on one of the larger kits.

As for instructions, then I've yet to find any set of build instructions that is better than the DeAg Victory. The instructions were written with the complete beginner in mind. You can view the instructions here:

https://www.model-space....ld-the-hms-victory.html

Hope this helps...

Regards

Alan
BradB
#5 Posted : 06 February 2020 14:22:01

Groups: Registered

Thanks so much for the advice. This hobby has been a great source of relaxation and community. Have a great day.