Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Circuit Board Testing Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 13 February 2020 19:00:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Circuit Board Testing

Issue 72 of the magazine states that the functions can be tested on the X-Wing. This is not correct. In order to test the functionality, the electrical line 20 that comes in issue 74 is necessary in order to carry out the test. Under no circumstances are you to bridge the slot 20 and to wait for issue 74 as this will result in the board becoming inoperative and burnt out.

Be aware that no replacement boards will be given should you try this.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Virgil Tracey
#2 Posted : 16 April 2021 16:31:10

Groups: Registered

When you do test the electrics - ie R2 the microswitch doesn't seem to do anything as the motor driving R2 just goes round and round without reversing
Does anyone know if I've done something wrong or what should I check??
darbyvet
#3 Posted : 16 April 2021 22:00:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Virgil Tracey wrote:
When you do test the electrics - ie R2 the microswitch doesn't seem to do anything as the motor driving R2 just goes round and round without reversing
Does anyone know if I've done something wrong or what should I check??

Are you talking aobut the R2D2 here? if so can you make another post in the r2d2 forum to avoid confusion.If it is R2 whcih motor are you talking aobut? The head motor?

Carl

jllaclair
#4 Posted : 12 November 2021 03:36:47

I had posted earlier about the circuit board layout a few months ago and I was able to start working on it last week - which is when I ran into this issue.
I waited to start working on the electronics part after I received issue 88 - due to work demand.
All of my individual circuits work, but when I connect everything to the circuit board nothing works. Batteries have been checked, connections have been checked, remote was checked over - all connections seem fine.
I called the company to tell them the issue that I may have faulty circuit board, however they wanted me to ask you all some further troubleshooting steps that I could take before they would replace the circuit board. So any advice?
Thank you,
Jeff
S4Simon
#5 Posted : 12 November 2021 08:51:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I haven’t built the xwing but have a good knowledge of electronics. I don’t have a definitive answer but rather a few ideas to check over. I know there can be issues with the remote in that some remotes require line of sight (infra red) with the sensor to work. So just make sure you’re pointing the remote at the actual sensor when pressing buttons. Also check remote batteries as well. I would also watch Wayne’s video for issue 72-75. Next if you’ve pulled the plugs on and off a few times then there could be broken wires at the connectors. Also check for no damaged/ bent pins. See how you go Jeff.
BUILDING: Taking a break / Waiting for the next epic build to be released

COMPLETED: Hachette Spitfire, Hachette Bismarck, Deagostini Millennium Falcon, Deagostini R2-D2
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 12 November 2021 17:51:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Do you have the external power socket plugged into socket 20.The main board wont power up unless that cable is plugged in.That is the first thing to check.In the instructions it says you can test the board at issue 72.However you dont get the cable for socket 20 until issue 74.Once this cable is plugged in to the main board the board should power up.
You can test the remote is working by pointing it at you cell phone and video recording when you press the remotes buttons.You should see flashes on the phone screen as the IR LED lights up.
You also need to make sure all of the batteries are fully seated in the battery compartment.if one of them dislodges when you turn the x wing the right way up it wont power up.

Try these things and then get back to me here

Carl
drowningsusan
#7 Posted : 02 December 2021 23:11:37

HI all - I also have a similar issue with no power….but it is only similar.
I read the forum comments and reviewed videos online.
I tried a power test according to issue 72 and of course failed despite all tests up to this issue working fine.

After seeing the comments on the need for the Power jack from issue 74 being needed to plug into the board, i did so with high hopes…and failed.
Once plugging in line 20 to the board, i retried the electronics…
For just about 2 seconds i was able to get the lasers to light and then they turned off. After this nothing else worked.

I have rechecked and replaced all batteries as new, reviewed the remote, all wire connections solid, looked for wire frays and have ensure solder points all look good but i am still a fail.
The remote did pass the video camera on phone test just fine as well.

So my questions for you are:
1. Can i test the electronics at this stage using the DC power rather than just batteries?
2. Can anyone recommend any other debugging steps (like current testing points i should try|)
3. What would the policy be for re-ordering a board if that’s the issue? Do you recommend i reorder the issue with the board and remote and try to replace all?

Thanks for any help you can bring me.
-Mark
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 03 December 2021 13:09:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Hi Mark

I would use just the batteries for the moment until you have everything fitted and in place. When testing the circuits, make sure the IR remote is pointing inline with the receiver. The receiver sometimes hides beside other cables when testing and can’t receive a signal.
If it worked briefly as you say, it could be a connection fault. Just check all cables are connected and housed correctly. Obviously check that the batteries are housed correctly and clicked into place and have enough charge.
Hope you get it working.

Mark
Wabie
#9 Posted : 03 December 2021 13:48:05

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Forum Support Team Germany, Administrator, Official Builds, Tech Support, Moderator, registriert

one more tip,
please check plug 20, there is often a wire break at the socket, which is not noticed by the shrink tubing. if one of the 3 wires is off, the board cannot be supplied with power. Please pull vigorously on each wire and re-solder accordingly, then you will avoid tearing one of the wires when installing the socket in the panel.

Greetings Stefan
Alle Berichte sowie alle Fotos unterliegen dem Urheberrecht. Verwendung außerhalb dieses Forums bedürfen schriftlicher Genehmigung/Zustimmung meinerseits. © Stefan

Forum Support Team
http://www.model-space.com/de/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIC4f1LE86w

MfG Stefan
drowningsusan
#10 Posted : 03 December 2021 20:22:10

Thanks both Mark and Stefan for the answers. Stefan for the win on this one.

So here’s the good news: yes, it was solder connections under the shrink tubing, but it was an issue in the power switch, not line 20. Anyway, super call on this one.

Bad news: I only have one eye so boy oh boy did i screw up the solder job. And in the process it appears I destroyed the droid motor too.

I ordered a new issues 70, 71 and 74 to replace my jacked up soldering.

Again, thanks for any answers and thanks for the help so far. You guys rock.
-Mark
jllaclair
#11 Posted : 07 December 2021 02:32:07

I wanted to give you an update - Sorry for the delayed response but work has been out of control lately.
I was able to get the circuit board to work - but I now have another problem.

When I press the center button the wings want to keep opening and won't stop.
At the moment I can't close them and seems to be only 1 direction (open), The button on the craft seems to stop the opening process. Only the right side (Gear side) opens and the left side does not open - it moves freely. Did I miss something. I took the rods out that hold the wings and re-positioned the wings again and checked the sensor (looked at it),put it together and same thing happens.
Thank you,
Jeff
Wabie
#12 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:06:49

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Forum Support Team Germany, Administrator, Official Builds, Tech Support, Moderator, registriert

Hello jllaclair,

Please have a look at the link below, I think the limit switches are reversed or not working properly. Please also check whether the wings are in a line. we also made a video about it

https://forum.deagostini....1638535687.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)%7Cutmccn=(direct)%7Cutmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=37339491

https://youtu.be/RcM7oMv2QxM

Greetings Stefan
Alle Berichte sowie alle Fotos unterliegen dem Urheberrecht. Verwendung außerhalb dieses Forums bedürfen schriftlicher Genehmigung/Zustimmung meinerseits. © Stefan

Forum Support Team

MfG Stefan
jllaclair
#13 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:17:37

My German isn't that great...Anything in English?
I am not sure where the shims they are referring to go on the model. But am I missing something as well as to why the one side moves freely? Did I miss a part??
File Attachment(s):
20211206_212545.jpg (969kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
20211206_212554.jpg (877kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
Wabie
#14 Posted : 07 December 2021 03:36:31

All wing parts should be interlocked, if the wings should move freely, your transmission is broken one of the gears no longer has any teeth.
please check this. but one of the four wings cannot move individually,

you can show subtitles on YouTube and turn on the translation function.

Your limit switches look good. please check whether you have swapped the plugs on the circuit board

Forum Support Team

MfG Stefan
Markwarren
#15 Posted : 07 December 2021 10:43:23

Check here on the official build for guidance on the shims as well.

https://forum.deagostini...uk/?g=posts&t=33711

Mark
jllaclair
#16 Posted : 09 December 2021 18:57:21

The you tube translation doesn't do a great job translating.
I think I see from some of the pictures where you have to add the padding. I will try to work on it tonight and send some pics. No gears have stripped or anything - just seems the space of the 2 bottom wings is far apart that I feel I have missed a part to have the gears mesh. I feel like I haven't missed any parts and pretty thorough in regards to assembling the model. I will take a picture when I get home form work.

I haven't switched the wires yet - I am going to look at it again tonight. Seems to open correctly - just doesn't stop. Opens pretty fast too!

Just saw this picture from the link provided by markwarren above: I don't think I saw this in the instructions and will try this when I get home.
https://forum.deagostini.../resource.ashx?a=164232
jllaclair
#17 Posted : 12 December 2021 16:53:44

OK, thank you everyone for your help. I am almost there.
Fixed the sloppy wing issue and the wings stop to the open position. (not sure what I was thinking or doing when I was assembling it first time)
I am having the issue with them not stopping going into the closed position.
So I will follow the instructions on that page and see if it works.
Thanks,
Jeff
Markwarren
#18 Posted : 12 December 2021 17:28:31

jllaclair wrote:
OK, thank you everyone for your help. I am almost there.
Fixed the sloppy wing issue and the wings stop to the open position. (not sure what I was thinking or doing when I was assembling it first time)
I am having the issue with them not stopping going into the closed position.
So I will follow the instructions on that page and see if it works.
Thanks,
Jeff

Hi Jeff
The shim should cure the over run when closing. Good luck.

Mark
jllaclair
#19 Posted : 14 December 2021 22:29:05

ok, I'm kinda getting to the point where I am getting fed up with this thing and just leave it in the open position. I've taken the wings apart about 1/2 dozen times. I have some pictures I've included... I guess some clarification is needed when they state 1mm board... what is "board"? Card board, foam board, Plastic??
I've attached a piece of 1 sided sticky foam tape as a test on both the bottom and top of this plastic piece and still the x-wing still grinds when closing.
File Attachment(s):
bottom.jpg (518kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
top.jpg (579kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
Markwarren
#20 Posted : 14 December 2021 23:26:00

Here is a picture from the official build log. The shim is a piece of plastic card, 1mm and placed as shown in the picture. Hope that helps.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
photo 14-12-2021, 10 21 13 pm.jpg