Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
Tony's Hachette Spitfire Mk. 1A Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 15 February 2020 16:33:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

HACHETTE SPITFIRE Mk 1A

I have been giving this one some serious thought and have decided to subscribe to the part work with the intention of seeing how the first few issues work out.

If I like it, I will continue the subscription but if it looks like there are any issues with the early stages I will cancel.

Two reasons really for going this route. One being the fact the longer you hold out subscribing to these part works the less chance you have of starting from the beginning (The Terminator being one good example).

That is were Deagostini part works tend to have a slight advantage because in theory if they are in stock you can always start from issue one, months after they have started.

The second reason is that I really wanted to start something new but there is very little available at the moment that appeals.

So, what are the details for this one?

The model is a replica of the Mk. 1A Spitfire flown by A.G. “Sailor” Malan, a South African by birth, who served with the RAF during World War II. He flew at Dunkirk in May 1940, becoming Squadron Leader of No. 74 Squadron during the Battle of Britain.

SCALE: 1:18
LENGTH: 510 mm
WINGSPAN: 620 mm
HEIGHT: 135 mm
EDITIONS: 120 issues with 100 making up the aircraft and base
and the final 20 issues comprising figures and
vehicles/ground equipment to create 3 styles of diorama.

Issue 1 @ £1.99
Issue 2 @ £5.99
Issue 3 Onwards £9.99

ISSUE 1

PICTURES 1 & 2

Issue 1 follows similar lines as many of the shop stocked part works with the Magazine and parts being presented on a large card background

PICTURE 2

The magazine instructions (based on this issue) appear to be clear and easy to follow.

PICTURE 4

The parts supplied with this issue allow use to construct the propeller and while we do receive the propeller spinner this is not used at this stage.

Paint finish on the propeller blades appears to be very well done.

PICTURE 5

Very little to catch anyone out at this stage but just need to ensure we pick the “Inner Part” of the propeller mount (arrowed on the left of this picture)

PICTURE 6

This little device is an assemble jig used to help align the propeller blades.

PICTURE 7

We place the Inner Part of the propeller mount into the jig.

PICTURES 8 & 9

We then take the central cog (this will allow the propeller blades to “feather” in synch) and making sure the cog teeth are facing upwards, this is dropped into the centre of the propeller mount.

PICTURE 10

We then gather up the 3 propeller blades and ….

PICTURE 11

The 3 propeller cogs.

PICTURES 12 & 13

The rear face of the propeller cogs are “keyed” to take the spine (arrowed in pc 13) on each propeller blade.

PICTURE 14

We press fit the 3 cogs over the 3 propeller blades.

PICTURES 15 & 16

Each propeller blade is the placed in position with the jig keeping everything at the correct angle.

PICTURE 17

That is 2 blades in place

PICTURE 18

That is all 3 blades in place

PICTURE 19

We then take the Propeller Mount (Outer Section) and one of the supplied 2.3 x 6mm screws (2 supplied with 1 being a spare).

PICTURE 20

The Outer part of the propeller mount is then screwed into place.

PICTURE 21

And while the propeller spinner is not used at this point, this is what the unit will eventually look like.

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 15 February 2020 16:43:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

FORTHCOMING ISSUES & SUBSCRIBER FREE GIFTS

PICTURE 23

For Subscribers the free gifts offered with this part work are:

Free Issue plus a Tin Poster with your First Delivery

Free Binder with the Third Delivery

Free Mug carrying the badge of 74 Squadron with your Fifth Delivery

Free Personalised Display Plaque with your Twentieth Delivery

PICTURE 24

With Issue 2 we get the parts to fit the Propeller Motor

PICTURE 25

With Issue 3 we start constructing the engine block

So, there we have it. Part 1 complete.

23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
mogwai
#3 Posted : 15 February 2020 18:52:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi nice start look forward to following if you decide to continue,cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Gandale
#4 Posted : 15 February 2020 23:53:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to see you've hopefully found something to get your teeth into.. Will be following as usual Tony.... Good luck with the build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
semaj
#5 Posted : 16 February 2020 10:22:51

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Part of me feels really tempted with this one as I love all the moving parts and motorised mechanics of it all but already having 4 on the go now I feel quite stretched.

Overall I think it does look a great model but 1 thing about it really bugs me - only 3 exhausts each side which is majorly incorrect as there should be 6 pipes each side. Big trademark of the spit imo
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
Kev the Modeller
#6 Posted : 16 February 2020 13:31:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

semaj wrote:
Part of me feels really tempted with this one as I love all the moving parts and motorised mechanics of it all but already having 4 on the go now I feel quite stretched.

Overall I think it does look a great model but 1 thing about it really bugs me - only 3 exhausts each side which is majorly incorrect as there should be 6 pipes each side. Big trademark of the spit imo

Hello James,

Just thought I might put your mind at rest and say that it was only Spitfires from the Mk.VII through to the PR Type A, plus the PR MkIX, PR Mk X and PR Mk XI, the Seafire MKII, along with the trainers TR Mk8 and Mk9 and the Spitfire Floatplane (MkIXb) that had six exhaust stubs. Everything else had the three stub system with each stub acting as a collector for two exhaust ports on each bank? All of the earlier Spitfires, of which the Mk1a in this kit is one, had the three stub exhaust system? I have attached a photo taken from a very reliable reference book on the subject.

It isn't "majorly incorrect" as you suggest and Hachette have got the correct design, so I hope that what I say helps you to decide to go for the kit if you wish and not to worry about a discrepancy that actually isn't there?

All the best and hope that helps,

Kev Smile

P.S. - @ Tony - I hope I'm not hijacking your topic Tony? If you want it removed just ask and I'll do so? ThumpUp

Kev the Modeller attached the following image(s):
DSCF2235.JPG
Per Ardua Ad Astra
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 25 February 2020 18:41:43

Mick, Alan, James, Kev

Many thanks for taking the time to look in on this first instalment of the Spitfire build.

Kev no worries about your update, Very interesting and clears up the issue of the exhaust system.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#8 Posted : 25 February 2020 18:57:47

HACHETTE SPITFIRE Mk 1A - 25 February 2020

As part of the subscription I received issues 1 & 2 today along with the first “Free Gift” of a tin plate poster.

As I have already covered of the contents and build of issue 1, I will just update with details of the parts supplied in issue 2 and how they go together.

ISSUE 2

PARTS SUPPLIED:

2-01 Motor Housing
2-02 Motor Housing
2-03 Propeller Gear Set
2-04 Motor
2-05 Lower Fuselage Frame
2-06 Three 2 x 4mm PB screws (1 spare)
2-07 Four 2 x 4mm PM screws (1 spare)

PICTURES 1, 2 & 3

Well this is what the tin plate poster looks like.

Big question has to be “why on earth” did this get put in a simple plastic mailing bad? Mine has arrived looking like it carries “authentic” WW2 bullet marks.

Its been in contact with something in the post that has left “ball bearing” shaped dents all over it, as well as being bent in the middle.

It may be possible to smooth out the “bullet holes” by laying over a sheet of kitchen paper and then rubbing over the surface with a spoon.
So that is an initial “niggle”.

PICTURE 4

This is the back cover of the magazine/build guide. It shows we received the first of the fuselage parts as well as engine components in issue 3.
Issue 3 should arrive with issues 4, 5 and 6 in approx. a months’ time.

THIS REALLY "STINKS"

PICTURES 5 & 6

The parts for this issue are weld sealed in a plastic tray.

What I did notice (and the reason for the above “stinks” comment is that having cut around with plastic weld to free up the component parts there was a very strong and noticeable smell of “Dead Fish” (best way I can describe it).

Now “Tom” the cat to the best of my knowledge has not paid this mailing a visit as the postie handed this to me at the door today.

All I can think is the smell may originate from the sealant used on the wires to the motor.

PICTURE 7

And here is that motor.

I can understand that is the wires to this motor are soldered onto tags at the end of the motor they need to protect that join so that the wires do not some adrift, but I ask you, does that really look the neatest way of doing things?

Going back to that Odour (which did seem to disappear fairly quickly) all I can think is this sealant was possible wet when the motor was sealed in this pack, and its some sort of smell from that which I detected.

PICTURES 8, 9 & 10

So, to begin the assemble we need to recover the propeller and spinner cover from issue 1.

On the propeller hub there is a locating tab (arrowed in pic 8) that fits into a matching slot in the spinner cap (arrowed in pic 9 & 10).

PICTURE 11

Insert the propeller into the spinner minding that the tab and slot fit together.

PICTURE 12

We then place the Propeller Gear Set over this assemble.

PICTURE 13

Using 3 of 4 supplied 2 x 4 PM screws we secure these parts together.

PICTURE 14

We then take one half of the Motor Housing and ensuring the 2 brass ferrules are located as per the arrows in this picture, we insert the Propeller Gear Set.

PICTURE 15

Exercising some care so the whole assemble does not fall apart at this stage, we then insert the motor into the motor housing.

You cannot really get this bit wrong as the motor drops into a pre-moulded space and the gear on the motor engages the gear on the Propeller Gear Set.

PICTURE 16

We then place the second part of the motor housing in place and secure this assemble together using 2 of the 3 2 x 4 PB screws.

PICTURES 17 & 18

And this is what we are left with after completing this stage.
Part 2-05 Lower Fuselage Frame is stored until called out in some future issue.

We also have the propeller now attached to its drive motor.

OBSERVATIONS:

1. For the moving parts I am considering (if I continue the subscription) using some light silicone grease. The sort of thing used on R/C models and designed to be safe on plastic.

Some other builders have already raised an issue that the gears allowing the blades to “feather” are somewhat tight.

2. The drive pin from the Propeller Gear Set is quite thin so while this assemble is stored away, it needs storing very carefully so that there is NO CHANCE of that pin getting bent even a degree.

It will be interesting to see at what stage the propeller assemble is fitted. I do not know how the build sequence will work out but to be honest I would have preferred to see the propeller (or at least the propeller drive elements) arriving at a much later date.

And that completes the first 2 issues of this part work.

Next time I should see issues 3-6 arrive and it will be at that stage I decide if I progress with this one or not.

1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
Happy Modelling

CaptnBirdseye
#9 Posted : 25 February 2020 21:59:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Loving this diary Tony, so I, for one, hope you do continue with it ThumpUp

Regards Gray
birdaj2
#10 Posted : 25 February 2020 22:11:41

Gray

Many thanks.

Doing this one as a “worts and all” build so any slight issue or concern will be highlighted.

From what i can see so far i think the “biggest obstacle” will be the decals if we get to put them on tather that them being factory installed.

All of the promo images of the spitfire show a lot of silvering on the decals.

I can understand they want to supply this kit as close to a final finish as possible (ie matt paint). But putting decals down over such a finish will see the marks being short lived and they will list or rub off.

So At this stage this is something that could potentially involve some work with glossing, decaling and matting and on such a large model its really going to be needing a sprayed finish rather than trying to do this with a brush.

A long way off but at this stage its the one thing i have picked up on that does concern me.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Steve1701
#11 Posted : 26 February 2020 16:06:12

Groups:

really coming along nicely tony. love the detail. keep up the good work.BigGrin
Gandale
#12 Posted : 27 February 2020 00:42:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking great Tony... If you decide to continue then I'll certainly follow your progress.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tf64
#13 Posted : 27 February 2020 09:28:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It can be very frustrating to see problems with your next part as you have been waiting so long for it to arrive,hope it works out for you and you complete your build.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2

birdaj2
#14 Posted : 21 March 2020 20:35:35

Steve, Alan Trev

Many thanks for looking in on this one.

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#15 Posted : 21 March 2020 20:50:19

HACHETTE SPITFIRE Mk 1A – SATURDAY 21ST MARCH 2020

Well a month on since my last update and how the World and Life in general has changed so much in such a short time.

Well my issues 3-6 turned up this week and I was surprised at just how much they give us to build over these 4 editions.

A couple of things that have become apparent when looking at the parts supplied this month.

1. What is obvious is that when the propeller motor is in place its going to be near impossible to replace it should it fail.

What would have been useful might have been a small tester so that builders could make sure the motor they have actually works.

Providing you are careful, and know what you are doing it is possible to test the motor using the likes of some jumper leads, the sort that you might get in an Arduino set for instance.

2. Also picked on some issues facebook builders have been posting. Seems some of the propeller spinners that were supplied did not have the slots the blades sit in filed out deep enough.

Net result spinner and propeller base do not sit flush and therefore the screws do not engage to hold the 2 parts together.

I understand Hachette are looking to replace this part for those with the issue.

RE-WORK

Having looked at how the engine goes together its not going to be accessible at a later time some before beginning the new issues I decided to take the propeller apart and grease the parts.

PICTURES 1 Through 4

I decided to use this silicone-based grease that, according to the box, should be safe to use on plastic.

Its quite a thin grease so used sparingly.

I have greased the 3 cogs on the propeller blades as well as the slots they sit in.

The propeller drive shaft (Pic 3) and the 2 cogs attached to the motor (Pic 4)
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#16 Posted : 21 March 2020 20:54:41

ISSUE 3 – ENGINE BLOCK AND FUSELAGE

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 5

3-01 Fuselage (below engine)
3-02 Top of Engine Block
3-03 Engine Block (outer)
3-04 Engine Block (Inner)
3-05 Top of Engine Block
3-06 Engine Block (Inner)
3-07 Engine Block (Outer)
3-08 Nameplate x 2
3-09 Base of Engine Block
3-10 Base of Engine Block
3-11 Two 2 x 6mm PB screws (1 spare)
3-12 Two 2 x 4mm PM screws (1 spare)

PICTURE 5A

It seems there will be quite a few parts that have to be glued together.

The instructions call for super glue but were I can (in the case of plastic to plastic surfaces) I will me using my “old faithful” Plastic Weld.

PCTURES 6, 7 & 8

We start by fixing together the 2 engine block halves. PIC 7 there are 2 pegs on 1 half and matching location holes on the other half.

You are told to apply superglue to the pegs but I have used plastic weld on these areas and along each mating surface.

PICTURES 9 & 10

We then take the engine block tops and the name plates.

These name plates are a push fit, but very tight, so care needed when putting together.

PICTURE 11

These engine block tops are made of metal and they will locate into the cut out shown here.

So, this will be a plastic to metal join and superglue (as much as I hate the stuff (will have to be used.

PICTURE 12

Assemble the second engine block part

PICTURE 13

I just have a dread feeling that to many super glued parts could all end up parting company when this thing eventually gets powered up.

So, on that basis I have decided to use Power Flex by Loctite. Its supposed to produce a join that has a slight flex in the glue rather that the glue being brittle which you do find with many superglues.

PICTURE 14

We then take the 2 engine block halves along with the 2 block bases.

PICTURES 15 & 16

This is quite a tricky assembly section as you have to get both engine block halves between the base parts and then screw all of this together.

Easiest way of doing this (PIC 15) is to start the screw off in the 2 base parts.

This allows the slot to open slightly and its then easier to get the upper block pieces in place.

PICTURES 17 & 18

When screwed together the block halves are held nice and tight in place and this is what this section now looks like.

PICTURES 19, 20 & 21

The final part of this build section is to take the Lower Fuselage Frame from issue 2 and the Lower Fuselage supplied in this section.

The frame part can only be fitted 1 way around on the fuselage section.

Its held in place using 1 x 2 x 4 Screw. It looks to be that the metal sections have been pre-tapped as the screws go in very easily.
5..JPG
5A..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#17 Posted : 21 March 2020 21:02:41

ISSUE 4 – ENGINE COVER PANEL AND ENGINE HOUSING

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 22

4-01 Engine Cover Panel (Left)
4-02 Magnet Fixture (L1)
4-03 Magnet Fixture (R1)
4-04 Magnet Fixture (L2)
4-05 Engine Housing (Inner)
4-06 Engine Housing (Front)
4-07 Frame of Various Parts
4-08 Engine Housing (front)
4-09 Magnet (marked on wide side)
4-10 2 x Magnets (marked on narrow sides)
4-11 Seven 2 x 4mm PM screws (1 spare)

PICTURE 23

One of the things that stood out to me on the prototype model they used in the advertising was the “poor quality” of the decals with a great deal of decal silvering showing.

The panel has the first of the markings in place and it looks perfect.

If the rest of the markings look like this then I will have no problems continuing with this build.

PICTURE 24

We start with these 2 engine parts. The silver is metal and the black part plastic.

They tell you to just apply a minimum of superglue to the 3 pegs on the plastic part.

I used a little extra on the flat face between the pegs as last thing we want is this parting compony when in place.

PICTURES 25, 26 & 27

We then take the Inner Engine Housing and this is fixed in place in exactly the same way.

While you are not really going to see this, PIC 27 is the front face that the propeller will sit “on”.

PICTURE 28

We then need the 2 injection moulded parts from the frame that you can see in this picture.

PICTURES 29 & 30

And these 2 parts are again super glued onto the engine mounting as shown here.

PICTURE 31

Next up we take the fuselage side panel, magnets and magnet housings.

PICTURES 32, 33 & 34

To ensure the magnets are installed with the polarity in the correct place, each magnet has a stripe on one side. Interesting that these are white but refer to the instructions (PIC 34) and it tells you to look out for the BLACK marking. Not a major issue but interesting.

PICTURES 35 & 36

One of the magnets has its own little slot to sit in on the frame side.

PICTURES 37 & 38

The other magnet is edge fitting so this one has to be pre-installed in the plastic support from. Fun doing that if you have “sausage Fingers” as it’s a tiny magnet and if you only have steel tweezers the task is made even “more fun”.

PICTURE 39

Once both magnets and magnet support frames are screwed into place this is what the part looks like.

PICTURES 40, 41 & 43

In PIC 40 you can see the pre-installed magnets on place (arrowed) and I could not resist trying the side panel in place to see what it looks like.

The fit is really good and the magnets are strong enough to hold the panel in place but not so strong that you will need a crowbar to part the pieces.

22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
27..JPG
28..JPG
29..JPG
30..JPG
31..JPG
32..JPG
33..JPG
34..JPG
35..JPG
36..JPG
37..JPG
38..JPG
39..JPG
40..JPG
41..JPG
43..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#18 Posted : 21 March 2020 21:09:50

ISSUE 5 – ENGINE COVER PANEL AND ENGINE HOUSING

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 44

5-01 Engine Cover Panel (right)
5-02 Magnet Fixture (R2)
5-03 Magnet (marked on the wide side)
5-04 Engine Housing
5-05 Engine Housing
5-06 Engine Housing Strut
5-07 Engine Housing
5-08 Three 2 x 4mm PM screws (1 Spare)

PICTURE 45

Another pre-applied marking that again looks absolutely fine.

PICTURES 46, 47 & 48

Similar to the previous issue we first install the 2 magnets onto the fuselage side.

PICTURES 49, 50, 51 & 52

We then take the supplied engine housing and the 2 pipes from the fret.

Nice sharp pair of sprue cutters to remove these parts without breaking them.

The 2 pipes are very small so tweezers are a must to het these glued into place on the engine housing.

PICTURES 53, 54, 55 & 56

We then take the remaining engine housing section and this is superglued into place.

PICTURES 57 & 58

Next up is the section of engine housing that will “hide” the large drive cog on the motor.

This part is glued to the front engine housing as arrowed in PIC 58.

PICTURES 59 & 60

The other half section of the engine housing is then superglued into place.

The glue gets added just to the 2 arrowed pegs that you can see in PIC 59.

PICTURES 61 & 62

The silver pipe is referred to as an Engine Mounting Strut and this is glued in place as you can see here.

PICTURES 63 Through 66

Taking the lower fuselage part, we position the motor housing over the 4 holes in this part.

The motor is then secure into place using 4 x 2 x 4mm PM screws.

And that completes this build section.

44.JPG
45.JPG
46..JPG
47..JPG
48..JPG
49..JPG
50..JPG
51..JPG
52..JPG
53..JPG
54..JPG
55..JPG
56..JPG
57..JPG
58..JPG
59..JPG
60..JPG
61..JPG
62..JPG
63..JPG
64..JPG
65..JPG
66.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#19 Posted : 21 March 2020 21:18:21

ISSUE 6 – DETAILS TO ADD TO THE ENGINE

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 67

6-01 Engine Side Cover (Right)
6-02 Engine Side Cover (Left)
6-03 Oil Tank Base
6-04 Fuel Pump Base
6-05 Engine Accessories A-F
6-06 Engine Accessories G-I
6-07 Engine Starter Plug Cover

PICTURE 68, 69 & 70

We start with the 2 Engine Side Covers (not sure they have the correct name for these parts).

They are metal and designed to press fit into the engine block side.

They are a very tight fight and the instructions do mention that you might need to enlarge the holes in the engine block to get them to fit.

PICTURES 71 & 72

We then take the oil tank base and this is superglued to the bottom of the engine.

PICTURES 73 and 74

We then take the Oil Tank Base and this is again superglued into place.

As can be seen in PIC 74 the fit of these parts is really good even though a lot of this will never be seen in detail once in permanent place.

PICTURE 75

We now start using the parts from the fret that you can see here. Small parts so care needed in working with them.

PICTURES 77, 78 & 79

This part is made up of 4 sections. I used my Plastic Weld to put this together.

PICTURES 80 & 81

This part is then superglued onto this slot thereby hiding forever the screw that holds together the engine block.

PICTURES 82, 83, 84 & 85

2 more small parts from the other plastic fret we get.

These are glued into place on the motor housing that we have already screwed into place on the lower fuselage part.

PICTURES 86, 87 & 88

Last part of this assemble section is to super glue this ting starting plug cover into the frame side.

PICTURES 89, 90 & 91

And that completes these 4 issues.

What we end up with is shown is this last 3 pictures.

I am quite impressed with how it’s looking so far.
67..JPG
68..JPG
69..JPG
70..JPG
71.JPG
72..JPG
73..JPG
74..JPG
75..JPG
76..JPG
77..JPG
78..JPG
79..JPG
80..JPG
81..JPG
82..JPG
83..JPG
84..JPG
85..JPG
86..JPG
87..JPG
88..JPG
89..JPG
90..JPG
91..JPG
Happy Modelling

tf64
#20 Posted : 21 March 2020 22:01:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tony,

That engine looks smart, there's nothing like working on a spit engine, and the paintwork is tops.

Keep posting and well done.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress:

Started San Francisco 2