Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <12345>»
Tony's Hachette Spitfire Mk. 1A Options
birdaj2
#41 Posted : 30 May 2020 21:25:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

ISSUE 13 – FITTING THE FIREPROOF BULKHEAD AND ENGINE

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 24

13-01 Fireproof Bulkhead
13-02 Frame with Bulkhead details A-F
13-03 Frame with Bulkhead details G-J
13-04 Hydraulic Fluid Tank
13-05 3 x PM 2 x 4mm screws (1 spare)

PICTURES 25, 26 & 27

Following the instructions, we cut out the various bulk head components.

Some of these are glued together while others are single units that require no further assembly.

PICTURES 28 & 29

Here we can see some of the various components being installed onto the bulkhead.

One area worth noting (pic 28) is that for the silver painted parts we end up with missing paint were these have to be cut from the fret.

In some cases, this is not seen once installed but, on these parts, they are visible and will require touching in with some “silver” paint later.

PICTURES 30 through 33

Next up is installing the engine and what a “right pig” that is.

Lots of jiggling and getting the engine at “odd” angles while trying not to put to much force in so as not to damage the myriad of parts that have been installed.

Got there in the end but it did take some effort.

Pic 31 shows how I have re-routed the motor lead based on what I think it looks like in Pic 30. Time will tell if I have this correct or not.

Pic 32

The instructions tell you to ensure the arrowed connection in this picture line up but I have found that there is some spring in this part of the engine and the section wants to sit higher than it should.

There are no “Pin/hole” connections between these sections which is a shame as this would have ensured a positive connection.

Will have to refer to and earlier build stage to see if there is something I missed when building this section.

PICTURES 34, 35 & 36

We then press fit the read engine support frames into the fireproof wall which in turn has to be lined up and fitted to the engine section.

Again, quite a fiddly part of the build having to line up several holes and again a bit of firm pressure to get everything into position.

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
24.JPG
25.JPG
26.JPG
27.JPG
28.JPG
29.JPG
30.JPG
31.JPG
32.JPG
33.JPG
34.JPG
35.JPG
36.JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#42 Posted : 30 May 2020 21:30:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ISSUE 14 – COPPER PIPES AND PART OF THE COCKPIT FRAME

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 39

14-01 Cockpit Framework (Left Side)
14-02 Cockpit Framework (Left Side)
14-03 Connecting Strut
14-04 Cockpit Panel
14-05 Cockpit Panel
14-06 Five KM 1.6 x 3mm Screws (1 spare)

PICTURES 37 & 38

And again, in this issue we have another correction. This time a note advising the supplied screws are too long and that the replacements (cellotaped to the parts box) should be used in place.

PICTURE 40

Here we can see one of the tiny infill panels and of particular note are the decals already in place and clear enough to read.

PICTURE 41

We need to start this build section by recovering the “copper” tubes from a previous section. These are actually flexible plastic but do like the part.

PICTURES 42 and 43

Further fiddly assembly here with the 2 pipes having to be threaded through the already assembled framework and secured ether end into 2 holes. Had to resort to a small torch just to find them.

PICTURES 44 & 45

Very simple assemble this time with just a small bead of glue being required to keep these 2 infill panels in place.

PICTURES 46 & 47

And this is were those replacement shorter screws get used.

We get a connecting strut that is used to secure the 2 halves of the Cockpit Framework in place.

And that is it for the latest mailing in terms of assembly.

THOUGHTS AND CONCERNS SO FAR

1. Bit concerned how easily some of that paint flaked away from the engine support struts.

Seems to indicate the paint has gone down directly on the metal part which to a point would be ok if that part was perfectly clean. This may be the reason for the flaking on the section I have.

2. Super Glue – absolutely hate it. But what I hate even more is how its fogging the parts with a white mist.

Been able to get rid of that by brushing over a light liquid adhesive. That evaporates quickly so causes no damage and does get rid of the fog.

Tried to source some non-fogging glue but the only supplier I could find is on shutdown so drew a blank there.

3. Engine fit. Seema couple of posting on Facebook were people have complained about the engine sitting to high.

I think its down to the part that fits between the cylinder heads. On mine its “springy” at the from and wants to sit higher that the top of the supercharger.

Need to look back over previous build stages to see if I missed something during that build stage.

4. 2 Error corrections in this mailing. Now it could be seen as positive that the errors were picked up prior to the issues being sent out but just concerned there may be future errors that possible slip through and could cause issues.

So, until the next time Stay Safe and Happy Modelling.

37.JPG
38.JPG
39.JPG
40.JPG
41.JPG
42.JPG
43.JPG
44.JPG
45.JPG
46.JPG
47.JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Spal
#43 Posted : 31 May 2020 13:05:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice update TonyCool I was tempted by this build initially when it came out but other things took priority, keep up the good work.

Al
Gandale
#44 Posted : 31 May 2020 22:04:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent update Tony, progressing very nicely indeed and looking impressive.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Steve1701
#45 Posted : 01 June 2020 20:22:30

Groups:

hi tony, did you have any problem with your motor when you tested it, mine did not work, so i got it out and it spins, but it does not take a lot to stop it, just wondered how you got on.
birdaj2
#46 Posted : 02 June 2020 16:32:20

Al/Alan much appreciated thank you.

Steve

I initially tested my motor before installing it To make sure it was ok.

Carried out the test with this set of parts and it seems ok. It takes a “fraction of a second” to build up speed but when it gets going you would not want your fingers in the way or they would get a knock.

I know some people had issues and i wonder if that might be down to a poor wire connection under that sealant they have daubed on.

Tony
Happy Modelling

Steve1701
#47 Posted : 02 June 2020 17:35:16

Groups:

thanks for the reply tony, i have removed the plastic and the red was hanging on by a strand, resolded the wire but made no difference, so i think i will have to get another issue.Huh Huh
CaptnBirdseye
#48 Posted : 02 June 2020 21:58:28

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love Really loving that engine detail Drool

Regards Gray
Markwarren
#49 Posted : 03 June 2020 08:12:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work TonyLove

Mark
birdaj2
#50 Posted : 26 June 2020 20:39:22

Gray/Mark

Many thanks.

Amazing another month passes and its update time again

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#51 Posted : 26 June 2020 20:48:22

HACHETTE SPITFIRE Mk 1A – FRIDAY 26th June 2020

Issues 15, 16, 17 and 18 have arrived.

As with the last batch of parts there is a “correction” in terms of one of the component parts as well as a little ambiguity with an area of the instructions in terms of component placement that I will call out later.

One of my pet hates has to be superglue. Of all the modelling areas I use this has to be something I really do not like using but in this build we have little option unless we opt for 2-part resin and that is even more trouble when working on such parts.

PICTURES 1 & 2

As the superglue I have been using has a tendency to leave a white fog (apparently called “Blooming” from what I recently discovered) I have purchased this version by Deluxe which apparently states its Non-Blooming so we will see.

In addition, where we are assembling plastic to plastic, I am using Tamiya extra thin for those parts.

Anyhow on with the latest build stages:

ISSUE 15 – DETAILS FOR THE COCKPIT INSIDE WALLS

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURES 3 & 4

This section contains a replacement part to correct an error and that part is taped to the underside of the parts tray so care needed not to miss it and throw it away.

15-01 Cockpit Details A, B & C
15-02 Cockpit Detail
15-03 Cockpit Detail
15-04 Cockpit Detail
15-05 Cockpit Detail
15-06 Cockpit Detail
15-07 Cockpit Detail
15-08 Cockpit Detail
15-09 Cockpit Details D - I

PICTURES 5 & 6

This is the part replaced with this pack. If you look at Picture 5 you can see the word “RUBBER”. This is corrected as in Picture 6 with the correct word “RUDDER”.

PICTURES 7 & 8

We start off by gluing together the 3 parts that make up the air tanks. Tamiya extra thin worked well here.

PICTURES 9, 10 & 11

We next take “Cockpit Details” – such a shame they do not give the parts their correct name, and again glue these 2 parts together.

Its worth noting the detail in the printing. These are really small parts but you can still read (if you have better eyes than me) the text on these parts.

PICTURES 12 to 16

Much of this stage just involves taking various parts from the frets and gluing them into place on the previously constructed cockpit sidewall.

PICTURES 17, 18 & 19

Its worth dry fitting parts before committing glue as the areas that require glue are not always obvious.

In this case the glue is only required in the slot of the black piece (pic 18) so that it sits on the arrowed rail shown in the same picture.

PICTURES 20 to 26

Very little explanation needed here as all we are doing is a continuation of adding parts to the cockpit frame.

PICTURES 27, 28, 29 & 30

Picture 27 is the corrected part with the word “Rudder” rather than “Rubber” in place.

You can also see in pics 28 & 30 just how detailed the printing is even on the smallest of parts which in many cases will not be seen once the aircraft is all sealed up.

PICTURES 31, 32 & 33

And when this section has been completed this is what it all looks like.
Very impressed by the amount of detail they are packing into this one.

While it may not continue its also worth noting just how many parts, they have been including with each stage which does give you some decent build time on each stage.

1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
27..JPG
28..JPG
29..JPG
30..JPG
31..JPG
32..JPG
33..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#52 Posted : 26 June 2020 21:04:52

ISSUE 16 – FRAME AND PANELS FOR THE STARBOARD SIDE OF THE COCKPIT

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 34

16-01 Cockpit framework (starboard side)
16-02 Cockpit framework (starboard side)
16-03 Framework Connector
16-04 Cockpit Wall Panel
16-05 Cockpit Wall Panel
16-06 Cockpit panels and details A – D
16-07 Cockpit panels and details E – H
16-08 Five KM 1.6 x 3mm screws (1 spare)

PICTURE 35 & 36

We start with the first part of the cockpit framework and the connecting bar.

PICTURE 37

What I like to do before finally assembling the parts is to run a screw through the holes so that we clean out any excess paint etc and ensure all fits well/

PICTURES 38, 39 & 40

Once the parts are screwed together, we end up with the starboard side of the cockpit

PICTURES 41 – 47

All we do in this stage is to take the various sidewall panels from the supplied frets and superglue these into place.

You do need to pay some attention to the instructions as (Picture 43) some of the parts are handed and have to be glued into place a certain way around.

Quite pleased so far with my new super glue as it gives a few seconds before parts “grab” and so far, that “Blooming” I had with my previous brand seems to have been resolved.

34..JPG
35..JPG
36..JPG
37..JPG
38..JPG
39..JPG
40..JPG
41..JPG
42..JPG
43..JPG
44..JPG
45..JPG
46..JPG
47..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#53 Posted : 26 June 2020 21:09:59

ISSUE 17 – DETAILS FOR THE INSIDE OF THE COCKPIT

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 48 – Interesting as we seem to be getting part descriptions this time

17-01 Cockpit Detail (Undercarriage Control)
17-02 Cockpit Detail (Tank)
17-03 Cockpit Details A – C
17-04 Cockpit Detail (Harness Release)
17-05 Cockpit Detail (Signalling Switchbox)
17-06 Cockpit Detail (De-icing control)
17-07 Cockpit Detail (emergency undercarriage control)
17-08 Cockpit Detail (Oxygen Control)
17-09 Cockpit Detail (De-icing Pump)

PICTURES 49 & 50

We start by taking the part arrowed in pic 49 and glue this into place (pic 50) to the sidewall.

Looking at Picture 50 I have arrowed a slight area of concern with these many raised and recessed ejector pin marks.

Not impossible, but time consuming to correct these, and at this stage not sure what will be seen when its all buttoned up, I have opted to leave these as they are.

PICTURES 51 to 56

Following the instructions, it’s a similar build sequence to the previous stage, with various arts being glued into place on the side wall.

PICTURES 57, 58 and 59

The trefoil shape on the part in picture 57 will see 3 of the various pipes terminating into this part

We can see the first of these in picture 59.

PICTURES 60, 61, 62 & 63

I mentioned at the start of this months update an ambiguity in terms of the placement of the part you can see in pic 60.

It has 2 studs that are glued into two of the holes on the connecting piece hold to cockpit parts together.

Picture 61 from the instructions appears to indicate you leave 1 hole in the connector when the part is in place.

Picture 62 indicates that there should be 2 holes beneath the part when fixed in place.

Having looked at it I have placed it with 2 holes below the part as this way the part seems to line up better with the red undercarriage release lever.

PICTURES 64 & 65

The de-icing control is the last part of this section that we need to glue into place.

Little bit fiddly as you have to align 2 pipe ends plus the connector on the back of the part.

Picture 65 shows the completed section.
48..JPG
49..JPG
50..JPG
51..JPG
52..JPG
53..JPG
54..JPG
55..JPG
56..JPG
57..JPG
58..JPG
59..JPG
60..JPG
61..JPG
62..JPG
63..JPG
64..JPG
65..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#54 Posted : 26 June 2020 21:17:02

ISSUE 18 – BULWARKS AND DETAILS FOR THE COCKPIT

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 66

18-01 Cockpit Bulwark Frame
18-02 Cockpit Bulwark Frame
18-03 Strut for Cockpit Frame
18-04 Cockpit Details A – G
18-05 Cockpit Details H – K
18-06 Headrest
18-07 Three KM 2 x 4mm screws (1 spare)

PICTURES 67 & 68

Start by removing these 4 parts from the fret and gluing them together.

The resulting 2 parts are then glued onto the backplate.

PICTURES 69 to 72

Taking the cockpit bulkhead, we then glue this part in place.

We then take the headrest support and that is also glued into place.

PICTURES 73, 74 & 75

Next up is the headrest and this is made up of 2 parts that are also glued into place on the bulkhead.

PICTURES 76 & 77

The instructions then call out this struct which is glued in place.

I think this will see the previously installed pipework terminating into these 4 holes.

PICTURES 78, 79 & 80

A further set of parts is assembled and glued onto the bulkhead.

PICTURES 81 & 82

We then take the 2 halves of this cylinder and glue these together before finally gluing onto the framework.

PICTURES 83 to 86

The last part of this stage is to take the remaining bulkhead part and to screw this to the sidewall.

I could not resist using the 1 spare screw to also screw into place the other sidewall and pictures 85 and 86 show what this looks like.

PICTURE 87

Having completed this stage we are left with this fret that appears to have the rudder pedals amongst the component on the frame – but that is for a later day.

So, until the next time Stay Safe and Happy Modelling.

66..JPG
67..JPG
68..JPG
69..JPG
70..JPG
71..JPG
72..JPG
73..JPG
74..JPG
75..JPG
76..JPG
77..JPG
78..JPG
79..JPG
80..JPG
81..JPG
82..JPG
83..JPG
84..JPG
85..JPG
86..JPG
87..JPG
Happy Modelling

delboy271155
#55 Posted : 27 June 2020 08:15:03

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks good with some nice detailing.

Well done so far. Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#56 Posted : 28 June 2020 00:06:15

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks better and better with every stage done Tony, looking fab.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Spal
#57 Posted : 28 June 2020 22:31:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It certainly seems to have a great deal of detail and the labels all look crisply doneCool nice work Tony.

Al
Markwarren
#58 Posted : 29 June 2020 08:34:59

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is coming together very nicely. Love Drool

Mark
Steve1701
#59 Posted : 29 June 2020 12:04:40

Groups:

they really have gone to town on detail on this model, hope it keeps up, worries me now the size of the base, keep up the good work tony. BigGrin BigGrin
birdaj2
#60 Posted : 23 July 2020 21:44:27

Thanks to everyone kind enough to look in and leave a comment.

Amazing just how quickly time goes but here we go again - a month on and the next instalment :-)
Happy Modelling