Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<34567>
Tony's Hachette Spitfire Mk. 1A Options
Gandale
#81 Posted : 05 September 2020 22:58:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Well done Tony, a richly deserved recognition for all your efforts.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#82 Posted : 06 September 2020 09:04:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Well done Tony, thoroughly deserved. Great build diary and very informative.Cool ThumpUp

Mark
tigerace
#83 Posted : 06 September 2020 14:42:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Well done Tony BigGrin Great build so far mateCool well deservedDrool Drool Love

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Kev the Modeller
#84 Posted : 06 September 2020 20:28:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Congratulations on joining the ranks of the 'Build of the Month' award winners Tony, well deserved for producing such a well planned and informative build diary of such a cool model.

Well done that man, keep it up! Cool ThumpUp

Kev.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
magpie1832
#85 Posted : 07 September 2020 11:43:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Congrats Tony. Well deserved build of the month. Very informative and well set out. Great work.

Chris đź‘Ťđź‘Ź
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Steve1701
#86 Posted : 07 September 2020 12:08:53

Groups:

well done tony on your build of the month, well deserved as the photo and description are excellent. BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Sticky Wickett
#87 Posted : 11 September 2020 15:48:24

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Congratulations Tony! Well deserved!

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
birdaj2
#88 Posted : 14 September 2020 16:15:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

thanks to everyone for such kind and supporting comments - I feel very humbled.

Tony
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#89 Posted : 14 September 2020 16:23:36

HACHETTE SPITFIRE Mk 1A – MONDAY 14th SEPTEMBER 2020

Issues 27, 28, 29 and 30 have arrived.

Again, a big thank you for selecting my diary as the build of the Month feature, that is so much appreciated.

This month’s issues see us putting together the landing gear. Some very small parts to work with but glancing through the build instructions it looks like the build sequence will be very quick this month.

This month’s build has us working on the left and right landing gear sections. As issues 27 & 28 are a “mirror” of issues 29 and 30 I will cover these 2 later build sections under the first 2.

ISSUE 27 – LEFT LANDING GEAR (ISSUE 29 follows the same build rules but for the Right-hand side)

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 1

27-01 Left Tyre

27-02 Main strut for landing gear

27-03 Wheel Fixture

27-04 Landing Gear Attachment

27-05 Landing Gear Attachment

27-06 Landing Gear Shaft

27-07 Landing gear spring

27-08 Three 2 x 3mm PM screws (1 spare)

PICTURES 2, 3, 4 & 5

We start by fitting the landing gear spring (27-07) over the landing gear attachment (27-04)

When looking at the spring and comparing it to the printed instructions (Pic 3) the spring appears to have one end wound differently to that shown in the picture.

While this was an initial concern putting the parts together shows that the spring is correctly formed and it’s the instruction picture that is slightly at odds.

The spring is quite fine so no rough handling required for fear of damaging it. You just need to be careful when looping it over the landing gear attachment (Pic 4).

PICTURES 6, 7 & 8

We then take the landing gear shaft (27-06) and 1 of the PM screws.

We press the landing gear shaft into the attachment part ensuring that is fully inserted.

The shaft is then secured into place using one of the PM screws. Its worth noting that the screw is slightly longer than the position it fits into so even when fully secured you will find it sits a little higher than might be expected.

PICTURE 9

We then take the previously assembled part along with the Main Strut (27-02).

PICTURES 10, 11 & 12

We pass the Landing Gear Shaft through the Main Gear strut.

Over the free end of the strut (gold coloured end) we place the remaining Landing Gear Attachment part (27-05).

We need to ensure this is fitted the correct way around with the screw hole facing as arrowed in Pic 11.

Using another of the PM screws we secure this part in place.

PICTURES 13, 14 & 15

We then take the Tyre (27-01), the Wheel Fixture (27-03) plus the previously assembled part.

The tyre is held in place between the Wheel Fixture and Main Leg by a friction fit of the round Peg on the Wheel Fixture and a hexagonal hole on the leg.

On the left-hand landing gear this fit was perfect but for the right-hand section the Wheel Fixture to leg joint is very loose and keeps falling out. A spot of super glue on this section will be required to resolve that issue.

PICTURE 16 & 45

These 2 pictures show both the left and right wheels fully assembled.

The colouring matches the half Black/Half Sky that the underside of this aircraft will have.

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
7..JPG
8..JPG
9..JPG
10..JPG
11..JPG
12..JPG
13..JPG
14..JPG
15..JPG
16..JPG
45..JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#90 Posted : 14 September 2020 16:32:49

ISSUE 28 – FITTING THE LEFT LANDING GEAR (ISSUE 30 follows the same build rules but for the Right-hand side)

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 17

28-01 WHEEL GUARD

28-02 LANDING GEAR FIXTURE

28-03 LANDING GEAR INDICATOR

28-04 LANDING GEAR FIXTURE

28-05 LANDING GEAR FIXTURE

28-06 LANDING GEAR SPRING

28-07 LANDING GEAR INDICATOR PIN

28-08 FIVE 2 x 4mm PB screws (1 spare)

PICTURES 18, 19 & 20

We take the Landing Gear Fixture (28-05) and line up the hole on this part with the hole in the Landing Gear Bracket (28-04)

Another interesting observation here is (pic 19 and 20) is what looks like a potential issue.

The shaft length between the upward pointing peg and its securing hole looks longer than the part does in the build instruction. Again, no issues and its just the build picture that is slightly at odds.

PICTURES 21 & 22

We then take the Landing Gear Indicator Pin (28-07) and press fit this into place in order to secure the pivot arm in place.

You will not press this in place with your fingers as it’s a very tight fit. The instructions call for a pair of pliers but I found the easiest way was to press down on a hard surface to get the pin in place.

PICTURES 23 & 24

Next, we take the Landing Gear Fixture (28-02) and the spring (28-06).

The spring is placed into the spring holder. Care needed as this part is really small and if you drop this one on the floor chances are you will struggle to find it.

PICTURES 25 & 26

The Red Landing Gear Indicator (28-03) is next added to its slot in the landing gear fixture (28-02).

PICTURES 27, 28 & 29

This next stage needs some care as you need to insert the fork end of the pivot arm into the slot ensuring that the other end of the pivot arm sits on and does not foul the spring.

The bracket is secured into place with one of the supplied PB screws.
We then need to test that the indicator works without snagging.

Pressing down on the pivot arm (as would be the case with wheels retracted) and the red indicator lowers.

Releasing the pivot arm (as would be the case with wheels down) and the Red indicator plate rises.

PICTURE 30

Next, we take the wing section that we assembled last month.

We will be working on the area that you can see circled in this picture.

PICTURES 31 & 32

What we then do is put the landing gear through the hole in the wing section ensuring the Next, 2 pivot arms on the landing gear sit in the matching slots in the wing section.

Holding the wheel leg carefully in position we move it to the retracted state and check (PIC 32) the Next, end of the spring sits as shown in this picture.

We then secure the Landing Gear Fixture (28-02) into place using 3 of the PB screws.

PICTURES 33, 34 & 35

With the wheel strut help in place we can test the indicator works.

Wheels down (pic 34) and the red indicator rises. Wheels up (pic 35) and the indicator retracts.

On the final model the raising and lowering of the wheels will be part of the working functions and it seems the attachment point for any servo will be as indicated in Pic 35.

PICTURES 36, 37 & 38

Last up is the Wheel Guard (28-01). This has 2 holes which fit onto the 2 pegs on the leg.

The instructions call for this to be super-glued into position.

In Picture 38 we can see the part in place from a side view. It looks as if its standing proud but we need to remember there is still an outer wing covering that will be added at a later stage which (hopefully) will ensure this part then sits flush with the lower wing section.

PICTURE 39

With both land gear assemblies in place this is how things are looking so far.

With the springs behind the undercarriage legs they want to stay in this down position so for storage I will put them in the closed position and hold them down with a length of Tamiya Masking tape (as that is not likely to cause any issues).

PICTURE 40

And just to give an idea of what we can expect next time it appears Issue 31 will give us the lower left-hand wing skin.

Interesting to see the roundel already in place so hoping that this is in place as well as the other markings have been so far.

So, until the next time Stay Safe and Happy Modelling.
17..JPG
18..JPG
19..JPG
20..JPG
21..JPG
22..JPG
23..JPG
24..JPG
25..JPG
26..JPG
27..JPG
28..JPG
29..JPG
30..JPG
31..JPG
32..JPG
33..JPG
34..JPG
35..JPG
36..JPG
37..JPG
38..JPG
39.JPG
40..JPG
Happy Modelling

delboy271155
#91 Posted : 14 September 2020 16:55:13

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Another fine update Tony.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Keep it coming.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Kev the Modeller
#92 Posted : 15 September 2020 10:51:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Nice work Tony, all coming together very nicely and it looks like it'll be a cool model when finished with some nice working features. I was considering resuming work on my Tamiya 1:32 Spitfire Mk.IXc after I've finished my current build (Voyager Space Probe) and seeing this build inspires me even more to get on with it!

Well done.Cool ThumpUp

Kev,
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Garth
#93 Posted : 14 October 2020 06:50:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Tony,
Great update. This looks like a well made kit. Your step-by-step instructions are fantasticDrool
Looking forward to your next update.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
birdaj2
#94 Posted : 18 October 2020 22:00:37

(Edited out my earlier post as its not with the keeping of the forum)

There will be a further update shortly as i received the next 4 issues (31 to 34) on friday. Interesting areas to highlight in this still to be done update as some fit issues have started to show up.

The last few weeks have been so stressful so i just have to write up my next build instalment as the assembly and pictures are done.

So please bear with me as i will be updating again soon.

Kind regards

Tony

Happy Modelling

Martyn Ingram
#95 Posted : 18 October 2020 22:16:37

I don't know what to say my friend but I am thinking of you and I hope your mum soon gets better.
All the best to you
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
birdaj2
#96 Posted : 18 October 2020 22:28:47

Martyn Ingram wrote:
I don't know what to say my friend but I am thinking of you and I hope your mum soon gets better.
All the best to you
Martyn

Martyn

Thanks. I am hoping and praying for that.

Tony
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#97 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:08:55

HACHETTE SPITFIRE Mk 1A – SUNDAY 29th NOVEMBER 2020

Well its an apology to start with for the delay in keeping this diary updated.

Since my Mum passed away, a month ago now, I just cannot seem to get myself back to any sort of normality.

Packs 31-34 were built some weeks ago but I never got around to writing this up until now.

And in the mean-time Packs 35-38 have arrived and been built so I thought it about time I tried to show what has been happening so far.

ISSUE 31 – FITTING THE UNDERSIDE OF THE LEFT WING

PICTURES 1 & 2

Its worth a call out here to highlight just how well the parts are packed in this issue.

The wing half is in its own card box and is protected inside with a bubble wrap bag.

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 3

31-01 Underside of the Left Wing

31-02 Six 2 x 3mm PB screws (1 spare)

PICTURES 4 & 5

Interestingly this wing half has both a lift out panel as well as a hinged panel.

No idea at this stage what the purpose of these are but I am sure all will be explained in future issues.

Its also interesting to not that the same functioning panels do not appear on the right-hand wing half.

PICTURES 6 & 7

We test fit the lower wing half onto the previously assembled wing assembly.

Everything lines up really well

PICTURE 8

We will use 5 x 2x3mm PB screws to secure the lower wing half in place.

PICTURES 9, 10, 11 & 12

Its again worth noting here that there is very little of the screw length left where it passes through the mounting holes to actually secure the lower wing in place.

As the screw is going into plastic its really, really important not to overtighten as the lower wing fixing point will be stripped out and that is then going to take some serious re-work to put right.

I think they could have used a 4mm screw for this fixing but we have to use what we get.

And in terms of this stage that is all that is required to complete this part.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#98 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:15:22

While not evident when assembling this stage, the completed part is a very poor fit when it comes to installing it on the lower wing.

If there was some consolation it’s the fact that several online builders have also had similar issues.

Therefore, as we press on, I will detail my “Correction” update that shows how I have tried to get a better fit on this particular part.

ISSUE 32 – FITTING THE RADIATORS IN THE HOUSING

32-01 Angled Pipe

32-02 Radiator Housing

32-03 Radiator Housing Flap

32-04 Radiator Housing

32-05 Radiator Housing

32-06 Radiator Panels (1 to 4)

PICTURES 2, 3 & 4

On the metal etch fret we get 4 grill sections. Two of the pieces have vertical bars and two have horizontal bars.

When joined together you get the grid pattern effect.

Its worth noting that 2 of the parts are slightly smaller than the other 2 so just watch those instructions and use the correct parts.

PICTURE 5

The radiator grids are fitted to the radiator housing ensuring the grills are located behind the tabs as arrowed in this picture.

PICTURE 6

And this is how it looks with the first set of grills in place.

PICTURES 7 & 8

We then put the second grill section together and press fit that into place.

PICTURES 9 & 10

There are 2 side rails that we fix in place. These have tiny pegs that hold the grill sections down into their slots.

PICTURES 11 & 12

The last part installed is the radiator flap. This is just a press fit using the 2 holes on the radiator housing and the 2 pins moulded into the flap.

We end up with the completed radiator housing along with a small pipe that will be fitted at a later stage.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#99 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:19:20

ISSUE 33 – FITTING THE UNDERSIDE OF THE RIGHT WING

33-01 Underside of the Right Wing
33-02 Six 2 x 3mm PB Screws (1 spare)

The arrows indicate the location for the troublesome Radiator which will be discussed in more detail later.

PICTURE 2

Not a great deal to update here as this is a direct copy in terms of the assembly as we did with the left-wing half in Part 31.

PICTURE 3

Of note however is this colour mismatch we see here between the sky colour on the metal centre section and the sky colour on the plastic right wing half.

Not a great deal we can do about this as any thoughts of re-spraying would be hampered by the fact the markings are already in place.

PICTURE 4

The small pipe left over from the previous section is super glued into place on the lower wing section.

PICTURE 5

And we end up this section by press fitting the radiator assembly in place.

Its at this point we can see the radiator des not sit fully down on the wing section and we are left with large gaps (arrowed) either side.

If this was a run of the mill plastic kit, we would just fill this section and make good before painting, but as mentioned with the markings already in place, a re-paint is not really an easy solution.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#100 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:21:59

RADIATOR FIT CORRECTION

I mentioned earlier that the press fit of the radiator onto the lower wing leads to large gaps either side of the piece.

Looking at it I think one of the issues is the fact the lower wing section is quite “flexible” so when you are trying to press fit the radiator into place the wing flexes slightly preventing the radiator from seating properly/

I decided to look at the part and make the following corrections.

Started by removing the lower wing section to make it easier to work on.

PICTURES 1 & 2

One of the first things to notice is that the backing of the radiator grills shows up as white/sky.

My thoughts are that if looking into this section it would be quite dark so on that basis a slip of black paper was inserted behind the grill (Picture 2) to see what it looked like.

I was quite happy with the dark background so replaced the paper test piece and painted the grill support area Black.

PICTURE 3

Another slight issue I noticed is that the 2 grill sections had a tendency to move thereby losing the squared grill look.

Simply remedy for this was to just add a dab of superglue along the top section (arrowed) of the grill parts.

PICTURE 4

The grill sections are then put back into place.

Here you can also see the 2 pegs that hold the radiator in place.

Because there is not tight fit to this, I decided that reducing the height of these 2 pegs so that they sit slightly shallow when press fitted into the lower wing would then allow me to put in a couple of washered screws in the hope that it would pull the radiator tighter into the wing section.

PICTURE 5

Here you can see the result of reducing the peg height. The surfaces now sit slightly lower in the location holes in the wing section.

PICTURE 6

I then used 2 washer headed screws (pays to keep spares from other builds) and putting these in place allowed the radiator to be glued up and pulled tighter into place on the lower wing.

When the glue was dry these 2 screws were then removed.

Net result is that the radiator fit is better (still not perfect) than it was before.
1..JPG
2..JPG
3..JPG
4..JPG
5..JPG
6..JPG
Happy Modelling