Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages «<4567>
Tony's Hachette Spitfire Mk. 1A Options
birdaj2
#101 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:25:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

HACHETTE SPITFIRE Mk 1A – SUNDAY 29th NOVEMBER 2020

ISSUE 34 – FITTING THE ENGINE TO THE WINGS

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURES 1 & 2

34-01 Carburettor Air Intake
34-02 Carburettor Air Intake
34-03 Carburettor Air Intake
34-04 Oil Cooler Intake
35-05 Cardboard Panels for Temporary Stand (4 parts)
34-06 Three 2 x 4mm PB screws (1 screw)
35-07 Five 2 x 4mm PM screws (1 spare)

PICTURE 3

We start this section by putting together the 4 cardboard sections that make up the temporary stand for the aircraft.

PICTURES 4, 5, 6 & 7

The 3 sections that make up the carburettor air intake are next fitted together.

PICTURES 8 & 9

The Carburettor air intake is secured to the lower wing with 2 screws as shown in these 2 pictures.

PICTURE 10

The air cooler intake is next up. This is just spot glued and pressed into place.

This part does not have the same sort of fit issues that we saw with the radiator housing.

PICTURES 11, 12, 13 & 14

And the last part of the assemble required in this section is to fit the engine onto the lower wing using 4 of the supplied screws.

These pictures show how all of this looks.
birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
birdaj2
#102 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:29:59

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ISSUE 35 – THE MOTOR FOR THE LANDING GEAR

PARTS CHECKLIST – PICTURE 1

35-01 Motor for the Landing Gear
35-02 Cable
35-03 Cable Label

PICTURE 2

We are told to be aware that the 2 plugs on the supplied cable are different sizes.

PICTURE 3

The label is affixed around the cable leading to the larger plug.

PICTURES 4 & 5

We then connect the motor to the lead, and the lead to the test board and battery box to ensure it all works.

Of interest here (Picture 5) is the gearbox attached to the end of the motor.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
birdaj2
#103 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:34:11

ISSUE 36 – CONNECTING THE LANDING GEAR

36-01 Gear Casing

36-02 Gear Casing

36-03 Cog Assembly Cap

36-04 Cog

36-05 Shaft and Cog

36-06 Landing Gear Connecting Cable

36-07 Three 1.6 x 4mm KM screws (1 spare)

36-08 Nine 2 x 4mm PB screws (1 spare)

36-09 Three 1.6 x 3mm PM screws (1 spare)

PICTURES 2 & 3

We start off by fixing the motor previous supplied to one half of the gear casing.

The motor is secured from inside the case half using 2 of the KM screws.

PICTURES 4 & 5

It appears that the gear retraction will be operated by a steel wire.

This wire is trapped between the two halves of the Cog

PICTURE 6

We then fix the worm gear over the motor spindle.

PICTURE 7

As this assembly is going to be extremely difficult to get too as the build progresses and we are told NOT to power up the motor again at this stage, I am not sure how noisy this might be.

Therefore, I have decided to grease the parts using a plastic safe grease that you can see in this picture.

PICTURE 8

We then slot the cog assembly and wheel retraction cable into the housing. This again is lightly greased.

PICTURE 9 & 10

We then place the top of the gear casing in place ensuring that the pin on the worm gear fits into the hole you can see arrowed in picture 9.

PICTURE 11

The 2 halves of the gear casing are then secured together using 4 of the PB screws.

As tempting as it is to power this up the instructions tell you not to do this.

PICTURE 12

The gear box assembly is then secured to the lower wing using 4 x PB screws.

PICTURES 13 & 14

The last part is slightly fiddly in that we have to insert the end parts of the retraction cable into the slots on each of the undercarriage legs.

This cable has a crimped brass end and we need to ensure that is fitted correctly into the undercarriage leg slot.

Its then secured in place using 2 x PM screws.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#104 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:38:26

ISSUE 37 – ASSEMBLING AND FITTING THE LEFT AILERON

37-01 Left Aileron Upper Panel

37-02 Left Aileron Lower Panel

37-03 Left Aileron Hinge (marked 1)

37-04 Left Aileron Hinge (marked 2)

37-05 Two Hinge Pins

37-06 Five PB 1.7 x 3mm Screws (1 spare)

PICTURE 2

As we can see in this picture the pre-printed markings are very clear and well done.

PICTURE 3

Making sure that we identify the hinges correctly (look for the stamped “1” and “2” on the parts, the hinge pins are put in place.

PICTURE 4

We lay these hinge parts into the slots in the upper aileron half.

Superglue is then applied to the indicated areas.

PICTURE 5

We then trap the lower aileron part in place and hold the assembly together with pegs until the glue has dried.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#105 Posted : 29 November 2020 22:42:22

ISSUE 38 – ASSEMBLING AND FITTING THE RIGHT AILERON

38-01 Right Aileron Upper Panel

38-02 Right Aileron Lower Panel

38-03 Right Aileron Hinge (marked 1)

38-04 Right Aileron Hinge (marked 2)

38-05 Two Hinge Pins

38-06 Five PB 1.7 x 3mm Screws (1 spare)

PICTURE 2

Construction of this part follows exactly the same directions as with the left aileron assembled in the previous issue.

PICTURE 3

When complete we are left with the left and right aileron ready to be installed onto the wing assembly.

PICTURE 4

The ailerons are screwed to the lower wing assembly using 4 PB screws.

PICTURES 5 & 6

And its at this point, turning the lower wing over, I thought “Oh no what have I done wrong?” as we end up with the sky coloured aileron on the black wing and the black aileron on the sky coloured wing.

To me this looks so wrong. However, having looked at some of the build sites while uncommon its not unheard of for the ailerons to be fitted in this way (just me wishing they had kept the aileron and wing halves the same colour).

So, there we have it – 8 stages finished and finally updated. Again, my apologies for the lack of contribution of late but life has been turned on its head for me and going from steady no major issues life only a few weeks ago the loss of my mother is something I am going to struggle with for a very long time, I think.

Until the next time Stay Safe and happy modelling.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
Happy Modelling

tigerace
#106 Posted : 30 November 2020 10:38:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony looks greatDrool Drool will you be doing any weathering to this when completeConfused keep up your great work mate Cool

Regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

birdaj2
#107 Posted : 30 November 2020 13:59:34

tigerace wrote:
Hi Tony looks greatDrool Drool will you be doing any weathering to this when completeConfused keep up your great work mate Cool

Regards PhilCool

Thanks Phil.

No i am not planning on any additional painting unless i do have a go at the figures when they arrive.

Some builders have painted up the undercarriage legs but from what i can tell apart from the “silver” strut, these were often the same colour as the underside of the aircraft.

Tony
Happy Modelling

delboy271155
#108 Posted : 30 November 2020 21:10:40

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Tony, BigGrin

This is proceeding very nicely, well done so far.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Always checking in to see how you are getting on. Keep up the good work.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

birdaj2
#109 Posted : 30 November 2020 23:20:21

delboy271155 wrote:
Hi Tony, BigGrin

This is proceeding very nicely, well done so far.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Always checking in to see how you are getting on. Keep up the good work.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Derek

Many thanks.

Struggling on at the moment trying my hardest to accept my present situation but still finding things extremly difficult. Its not helped when tomorrow (01/12) would have been mum’s 87th birthday.

Keep telling myself that this is not something unique to me and trying to soldier on.

Kind regards

Tony
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#110 Posted : 01 December 2020 01:16:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Tony, great to see you moving this one forward again and as usual, your very high standard of presentation is a joy to read and follow. Look forward to seeing your next update.....Cool Cool

Stay strong, thoughts are with you.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#111 Posted : 01 December 2020 01:54:18

Gandale wrote:
Hi Tony, great to see you moving this one forward again and as usual, your very high standard of presentation is a joy to read and follow. Look forward to seeing your next update.....Cool Cool

Stay strong, thoughts are with you.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

Much appreciate your kind comments Alan.

Tony
Happy Modelling

tigerace
#112 Posted : 04 December 2020 15:42:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

birdaj2 wrote:
tigerace wrote:

Regards PhilCool

Thanks Phil.

No i am not planning on any additional painting unless i do have a go at the figures when they arrive.

Some builders have painted up the undercarriage legs but from what i can tell apart from the “silver” strut, these were often the same colour as the underside of the aircraft.

Tony

Ok Tony BigGrin

regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

tf64
#113 Posted : 04 December 2020 21:46:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month May 2020Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Tony, this looks like a cool build very tidy work well built.

Regards

Trev
Work in progress: Tombstone (Scratch) - San Francisco 2. -The Mayflower ( scratch by plan).

Sticky Wickett
#114 Posted : 05 December 2020 12:38:36

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony, very neat and clean work there. Fantastic!Love You're doing a great job and can't wait to see more progress as this model develops.BigGrin

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
Markwarren
#115 Posted : 06 December 2020 10:29:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Tony, just been catching up with you build.Drool

Mark
Kev the Modeller
#116 Posted : 06 December 2020 22:21:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

birdaj2 wrote:

Struggling on at the moment trying my hardest to accept my present situation but still finding things extremely difficult. Its not helped when tomorrow (01/12) would have been mum’s 87th birthday.

Keep telling myself that this is not something unique to me and trying to soldier on.

Kind regards

Tony

Sorry to hear about your mum Tony, you have my deepest sympathies and I hope that the date did not weigh too heavily on your mind? I hope that you will eventually be able to move forward and I wish you every success in completing what is a beautiful model of such an iconic aircraft?

The mismatched undersides of the ailerons were quite common on the real aircraft and I think was intended to help break up the aircrafts' silhouette when viewed by the enemy from beneath?

Nice work Tony, keep it coming. Cool ThumpUp

Kev.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
tubab
#117 Posted : 12 December 2020 14:05:51

Hi all, Reading up on the Spitfire History a probable explanation to the mismatch of ailerons might have been caused by the wrong kit of parts being sent with the aircraft for assembly at airfields. The parts were prepainted and somebody somewhere was careless and didn't notice they were painting the wrong colour, rather than return parts for repainting and waste time they used them as they were. Overpainting was ruled out as it was afraid it would upset the balance of the flying controls.Not sure this would have been the case but that was the reason given by top brass.
birdaj2
#118 Posted : 15 January 2021 23:22:17

Many thanks to everyone that looked in on the last update and left comments - always very much appreciated.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#119 Posted : 15 January 2021 23:25:43

HACHETTE SPITFIRE Mk 1A – FRIDAY 15th JANUARY 2021

I am still finding life so difficult at the moment and seem to have lost any sense of concentration.

I finished the latest set of spitfire parts about 2 weeks back but only just getting around to updating the build diary, and that is because Parts 43-46 arrived today so I do not want to start falling behind.

There is some “annoyance” being expressed on some build sites that for over £80 covering editions 39 through to 46 there has been very little to actually build.

I guess that is the way of part-works but it will be interesting to see what else we get to complete the actual spitfire because in terms of moving or lighted parts there is going to be little of that outside of the wings and cockpit area.

Anyhow onto the latest update which is basically another symmetrical build with the same construction and parts being used on the port wing as they are on the starboard.

Rather than drag the diary out with a repeat I will cover off just one half of the wing detailing.

ISSUE 39 – HOLDERS FOR THE OPTICAL FIBRES (Same build parts and sequence is used in ISSUE 41)

PARTS CHECKLIST - PICTURE 1

39-01 Frame with parts for the optical fibre holders (A to D)

39-02 Optical fibre grip

39-03 Optical fibre grip

PICTURE 2

We start by snipping off the 4-machine gun barrel ends from the fret.

PICTURES 3 & 4

We then need to cut out the 4 barrel supports from the Fret.

Its worth noting that the mount on the holder that holds the longest of the fibre optics has a square base (pic 3) where as the other 3 have a “peg” base.

PICTURE 5

We then glue each of the barrel supports onto one of the barrels.

For this I opted to use Tamiya extra thin so as to avoid having to use superglue which is not a favourite product of mine at all.

And that, believe it or not, is all we do in issue 39 and the same again in issue 41.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#120 Posted : 15 January 2021 23:32:58

ISSUE 40 – FITTING OPTICAL FIBRES TO THE LEFT-WING (Same build parts and sequence is used in ISSUE 42)

PARTS CHECKLIST - PICTURE 6

40-01 Optical Fibres x 2 short

40-02 Optical Fibre Medium

40-03 Optical Fibre Long

40-04 LED and Cable

40-05 Three PWB 2 x 3mm screws (1 spare)

40-06 Cable Label

PICTURE 7

We start by taking the 4 optical fibres plus the optical fibre guide from the previous issue.

PICTURE 8

The 4 holes in the fibre guide form a “square” of 2 holes up and 2 down. As you can see in this picture the sequence in which the fibres need to be inserted is not very easy to see, so it takes a bit of thinking about to get this correct.

PICTURE 9

And here is the guide with the 4 fibres in place. They are not glued in as they need to be adjusted later, plus various brackets will hold them secure later.

You are told NOT to get glue on the fibres as it will affect the light path through the fibre.

PICTURE 10

Next up is the Fibre Optic Grip.

PICTURES 11 & 12

Into this grip we fit the fibre optic guide. This is just a press fit into place.

PICTURES 13 & 14

Here we can see the location in the wing that the Optical Fibre Grip will be fitted.

As we fit this into position, we need to pass each of the fibres under the metal strength beam.

PICTURE 15

Once in place we push each of the fibres forward so that they are all level with the face of the fibre guide.

Even with no additional light (just daylight here) we can see that the ends of the fibres do transmit a good amount of light.

PICTURE 16

Next up we take the cable label and this is wrapped around the supplied LED.

PICTURE 17

We then fit the LED in position behind the fibre guide in the wing.

PICTURE 18

Holding the LED in place (it has a tendency to move) we fit the optical fibre grip top cover and secure this in place with 2 of the supplied screws.

PICTURES 19 & 20

Its then time to “thread” the fibres along the wing and to then secure the barrels in position.

Little bit fiddly this part and needs a little care and patience to get right.

PICTURES 21 & 22

And here we can see the LED illuminated using the test board and battery pack supplied much earlier in the built.

Interesting points people have raised on other build sites have seen some builds either covering the exposed fibre with black tape, or in one example I have seen, using heat shrink along the whole length of each fibre.

I think the concern is “light bleed” and that the path of the fibres may shine through the surface of the top wing.

I am not sure that will be an issue but if it is there is still time to correct this at a later stage.

The other issue people have reported is the fact the barrel ends illuminate white. Some builders have suggested a gun flash would be more yellow and in one instance I have seen a builder post details of using micro crystal clear and Tamiya clear yellow to colour the end of the fibre.

Again, personal choice and at this point I have not decided if I want to modify mine or not.

PICTURES 23 & 24

Here we can see the barrels glued in place and being held firm with planking pegs while the glue sets.

Again, I have opted to use Tamiya extra thin and the final joint is very strong.

PICTURE 25

And this is a final overhead shot of the lower wing with both port and starboard fibres and gun barrels in place.

To be honest the complete build of those 4 issues took a fraction of the time to assemble compared to actually writing up the process.

Next time we have 4 issues with again a symmetrical assembly of fitting the wing landing lights.

Until then, (to coin a phrase) Stay Safe, be good, Make Models.
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
17.JPG
18.JPG
19.JPG
20.JPG
21.JPG
22.JPG
23.JPG
24.JPG
25.JPG
Happy Modelling