Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Samba steering Options
HMS Vic
#1 Posted : 19 February 2020 22:01:13

Groups: Registered

The large cog for the Samba steering mechanism is too big. It does not fit. Several people on these forums and FB are reporting this. Has none done a test build or has a wrong part been put in pack 12?
HMS Vic attached the following image(s):
FB_IMG_1582145803103.jpg
HMS Victory, Spitfire, MP 4-23, D51, T72, Honda CB750, Harley Davidson, Hayabusa, Ducatti 1299, E-Type, Mustang and Porsche 911, VW T1 Samba. Many others from other suppliers on the go!
Gandale
#2 Posted : 19 February 2020 23:19:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is being looked into....

Regards

Alan
HMS Vic
#3 Posted : 20 February 2020 12:55:12

Cheers Alan.
HMS Victory, Spitfire, MP 4-23, D51, T72, Honda CB750, Harley Davidson, Hayabusa, Ducatti 1299, E-Type, Mustang and Porsche 911, VW T1 Samba. Many others from other suppliers on the go!
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 20 February 2020 19:24:06

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi HMS Vic.

As Alan said this is being looked into and that was by myself.

Due to circumstances beyond my control my build has not progressed to this stage, but I have opened the relevant parts.

Looking at your picture that looks way out. As Spal said in his build it does need some gentle persuasion to go in place and that would keep the gears firmly together so not to slip.

I have today lined up the parts and agree that the fit would be snug, where as yours I think would need a crowbar (DON`T DO THATLOL ).

Could I respectfully request that you loosen all the screws that fit the chassis, inner floor and body shell together and see if you can get any movement of the chassis and inner floor toward the rear of the vehicle. Enough that would facilitate the fitting of the gear and if that is not successful could you please measure the outside diameter (at the widest part) of the gear that won`t fit so I can compare sizes.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

HMS Vic
#5 Posted : 21 February 2020 09:44:38

Right, here we go. Cannot get any play from the inner and out floor pans. Cog is the correct size. If it were smaller it would not engage the other cogs. Therefore the only part that stops this working is the rack. This would need considerable modding as it not only has the guide screw in the middle and the plate over the top, it also runs in 2 slots. The rack would need to be remoulded by the manufacturer for a decent job.
That's it for me. Luckily I don't want to play brm brms round the carpet so I'll stick with non functional steering. It is a static model after all!
I'm off to try and get a better fit on my passenger door as it won't close at the moment!
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 21 February 2020 09:49:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Thanks for letting me know.

I`ll keep looking at this issue and get back if I discover anything useful.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

andali15
#7 Posted : 26 February 2020 19:31:26

Any news on the steering mechanism. Left that part out at the moment of my build, I know it will end up a static model so may not bother fitting cog but would like to know. Thanks Andy.
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 27 February 2020 00:24:23

andali15 wrote:
Any news on the steering mechanism. Left that part out at the moment of my build, I know it will end up a static model so may not bother fitting cog but would like to know. Thanks Andy.

Hi Andy

Still working on it,sorry.

Could you post up a picture of how far out your parts are as a comparison to the original query please and I`ll get back to you asap.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

andali15
#9 Posted : 27 February 2020 23:06:25

Derek have finished the Samba. I managed to get the large cog in place but as it is tight the steering wheel will not turn the wheels on the flat surface or if lifted up off its front wheels. When the plate to secure the cogs in place is screwed down it seems to tighten everything up. Will take apart and try again. Andy.
admin
#10 Posted : 28 February 2020 05:19:29

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi All,

I heard back from Italy, and this is seemingly a unique problem. I suspect that it is cumulative error in the parts, as assembled. My own pack 12 won’t be here for a bit more though, so I can’t verify. It seems that Derek is on the right track though.
andali15
#11 Posted : 29 February 2020 12:18:32

Have just taken apart the steering parts but unfortunately I have snapped the plastic shaft the large cog fits to. Will have to contact c/s for replacement but my thoughts are to do without in case it’s the same with a replacement part. The large cog was so tight to the steering rack trying to ease off snapped the shaft. Andy.