Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
SMS Schleswig Holstein Options
Markwarren
#21 Posted : 04 March 2020 22:10:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Wow, excellent work. You’ve got patience of a saint.Love Love Drool

Mark
budgie
#22 Posted : 05 March 2020 09:41:05

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Morning Folks
The upper frames and keel have been cut out on 2mm card
Blushing That's it
budgie attached the following image(s):
upper frame1.jpg
upper frame2.jpg
upper frame3.jpg
budgie
#23 Posted : 05 March 2020 11:43:41

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Hi again

Started dry fitting the upper hull with mid deck pieces.

There is a few areas on the mid deck where I want to use wood to give a plank effect.
As planking directly on top off the card I think the deck would be too high unless I used a very thin veneer, but would lose the planking lines.

I cut the area of card out to be planked and stuck a support under the card in which to glue the planks to.

I will keep the cut out so I can use it as a template for the wood.
I can then make the deck away from the model and it should simply slot in.Huh

The frames where the extra support touched was reduced by 1.5mm ish.Flapper

Using 1500micro card with a smooth shiny white coating this will provide a less porous surface than normal card for painting.

Thanks for looking
mid2.jpg
budgie
#24 Posted : 06 March 2020 09:26:19

BigGrin Morning Folks

Progressing with upper keel and frames.Cool

I set them on a flat surface and glued the frames to the keel.
One section at a time.

I then transferred the section to the false deck,lined it up till I was happy, then painted a very liberal amount of glue along the joins and weighted them down.

Dry running the rest off the keel I found that at the bow the frames and keel are not making contact with the false deck.

As I know they lie flat on the build board, I am assuming it is because I left quite a bit of card behind when I gently removed the false deck with a blooming' big hammer and a metal ruler.LOL LOL

I will let it lie how it wants and fill the gap.

As I will be thickening up the frames later, I don't think it will be too big an issue.

Accuracy is not my main aim but rather to produce a reasonably pleasant model.

Thanks for looking.
upper1.jpg
upper2.jpg
upper3.jpg
Sticky Wickett
#25 Posted : 06 March 2020 11:03:25

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent work Budgie! I've built a couple model railway buildings in the past [Metcalfe card kits], but i'm amazed at the work and detail on your builds. Superb!BigGrin

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
budgie
#26 Posted : 06 March 2020 12:25:42

Blushing Thanks for your remarks PhilBlushing

Time to take the dogs out while the glue dries

upper4.jpg
upper5.jpg
Gandale
#27 Posted : 07 March 2020 00:28:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking really good, this is coming along beautifully... Look forward to seeing more of this one....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#28 Posted : 07 March 2020 12:45:26

BigGrin Hi Folks

Thanks for posting Alan appreciated.

Starting to look a bit more interesting nowCool

Slotted the middle deck or maybe called gun deck in place but not glued it.

There is a gap between one of my joins but as it is reasonably even on both sides I am not concerned.Glare
A piece of card was glued underneath so the gap can be filled before planking that area later.

I have strengthened the lower part of the frame edges to make them thicker ready for sanding.

I have cut strips for placing under the deck to save it from warping and ensuring the deck is levelishBlink

Thanks Folks

gundeck1.jpg
gundeck2.jpg
gundeck3.jpg
budgie
#29 Posted : 11 March 2020 21:13:30

BigGrin Evening Folks

Progress has slowed down due to returning to workCursing Cursing

I am thickening up the top part of the frames that the main deck will sit on.

The original templates at 1:200 scale the camber is barely noticeable.

I thought the camber would be more emphasised once enlarged to 1:100 but no.

It is not quite a straight line along the top of the frame.

Thanks for lookingCool

upperframe1.jpg
Gandale
#30 Posted : 12 March 2020 01:03:26

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Excellent progress, can see she's really starting to take shape now.....Cool Cool Cool ... Look forward to seeing more of this one....Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#31 Posted : 12 March 2020 08:48:42

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You’ve really put your time in on this one. Excellent work.Love Love Drool

Mark
budgie
#32 Posted : 12 March 2020 20:19:55

BigGrin Evening Folks

Balsa used for the pointy end and the stern

I am quite haphazard doing this as I use an electric mouse to sand down and shape the stern and bow.
If ii had to do it all by hand I would be more precise with filling this area.

Not sure if I am impatient or lazy or a bit off both doing it this wayFlapper LOL

Either way there will be a lot of sawdust, which is great for filling in holes or dents mixed with pva glue.

Also laid some balsa strips along the top.
Not sure if this will help or hinder when drilling out the portholes in that areaConfused

Hope to get this sanded on Saturday and start covering the hull

Thanks for looking
balsa6.jpg
balsa8.jpg
balsa9.jpg
budgie
#33 Posted : 14 March 2020 11:48:02

BigGrin Morning Folks

Sanded down the balsa this morning.
Quite happy with results.

Only concern is from frame 2 forward not convinced it is evenly shaped on both sides.
As the balsa filler is thicker on one side than the other my eyes may be tricking me.
Sure I will be able to rectify when "planking".

Started doing the rudder as it looks straight forward. Bored
Good part to start with to get practise before hitting the smaller more complex parts.Crying

The rudder is 3mm wide all the way roundConfused and no detail printed on the templateConfused

I think it should be thinner at the aft end and should have some kind of strapping detail.
Anyways I can make quite a few basic ones to practice on adding detail with a fair amount of modellers licenceLOL

Thanks for looking
sand1.jpg
sand2.jpg
sand3.jpg
rudder1.jpg
Gandale
#34 Posted : 15 March 2020 00:24:39

Looking good Budgie, very well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#35 Posted : 15 March 2020 12:03:33

BigGrin Morning Folks

Opted for 1mm thick card for "planking" the hull.

This should allow for highlighting any discrepancies and will allow me to double "plank" to hide them without making the hull too thick.Crying

I have cut 3cm wide strips and halved that for the more tricky shapes.

Problem I am having now is I like the joins, makes it more interesting than a smooth hullConfused so will try not to wander off.

Photo off the model is as you can see is so obviously made off card

I am using the attached link for guidance and inspiration

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pommern

Same class but there are differences
plank1.jpg
plank2.jpg
plank3.jpg
cover.jpg
budgie
#36 Posted : 26 March 2020 20:44:00

BigGrin Evening Folks hope yous are all keeping well under the present circumstances

Crying Didn't realise how big this ship was until I started "planking"
Seemed to be never ending....and I get to do it all over again with a second layer.Crying Lucky meCrying

Unfortunately I have used 1mm thick card so sanding down the peaks and filling the troughs with polyfiller I have to be careful not to sand through the 1st layer.

Had a bit of a mishap with the pointy end and so building it up again to the correct (or near enough for me) shape

May use 1.5mm thick card for second layer making it that wee bit thicker hoping it won't effect the rest of build too much.

The second planking I hope will also hide a lot off flaws showing at the moment although the hull feels pretty smooth just now. (doesn't look it in picsMad )

Made a start on the uppermost part of the hull again using 1mm card but will put 2mm behind it for extra support

Thanks for lookin'
plank10.jpg
plank12.jpg
plank13.jpg
budgie
#37 Posted : 27 March 2020 12:07:18

BigGrin Morning Folks
Thought best to improve the shape of the bow just now.

Using a cardboard template of the "skin" for the upper hull it showed how far out I wasConfused

Glare Thought about chopping the first 2 frames off and redoing them and sticking it back onCrying

Cool But as my hull feels pretty solid using only 1mm cardboard and I am going to double "plank" I had a different brainwaveCrying

I cut out the upper and lower skins for that area and transferred to 1mm cardboard as 1 piece.

I then soaked the cardboard to make it more pliable and pinned to existing hull and leaving to dry before gluing.

Think this will be the better option althoughough not perfect a lot better than before
oops1.jpg
oops2.jpg
bow2.jpg
bow3.jpg
stern2.jpg
Gandale
#38 Posted : 28 March 2020 00:23:49

Always get a great sense of satisfaction when a brainwave actually works out, yours looks to have worked out very well indeed.... Really coming along nicely and a joy to follow....Cool Cool .. Very well done....

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#39 Posted : 28 March 2020 10:11:22

Great work, something totally different with build.Love Love Drool

Mark
budgie
#40 Posted : 02 April 2020 10:35:41

BigGrin Morning Folks
Thanks for posts gents

Progressing with the 2nd "planking". The shape at the bow is getting there.
I intend to use brown kraftcard which is less than 0.5mm thick to cover the 2nd planking.

Problem is I am getting low in wood glue.
As all the diy stores are no longer open to the public and a well know one seems to be open to trade only.

I have come across a pva glue in a well known supermarket but I am not sure if it will be strong enough for my purpose as it is in the stationary section?
There is no writing on the bottle saying suitable for paper, card,wood etc.

Crying Not sure if I can go out looking in all the other stores that are open Lidl, Aldi etc not exactly essential???

Anyhoos cut out the deck templates to see how far out I have wandered and surprisingly its not too bad.

Thanks for lookin'
2nd plank 2.jpg
2nd plank1.jpg