Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
SMS Schleswig Holstein Options
budgie
#41 Posted : 02 April 2020 20:23:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Evening Folks

I have been ignoring the bottom of my hull for the past few days, delaying the inevitable need to address the prop shaft area. Bit of a mess round thereCrying Crying

There is a prop in the middle and one on either side

I have used a styrene tube for the middle one and hope that it will in time produce a decent shape

The card shows the other prop shafts one for P and one for L
P in this case does not mean port but is the right hand side

I have a few templates to practice with as I am not entirely sure how it folds together

Thanks for lookin'

ps hope I am not hogging the forumFlapper Flapper
budgie attached the following image(s):
aft deck.jpg
prop1.jpg
Gandale
#42 Posted : 02 April 2020 23:51:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

If you want to hog the forum then be my guest....LOL LOL LOL … It's a pleasure to follow your progress on this one and think you're doing a great job... She looks to be coming together very nicely so well done....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#43 Posted : 03 April 2020 08:58:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

It’s great to see your progress, BigGrin I’m following you all the way on this.Love ThumpUp

Mark
budgie
#44 Posted : 03 April 2020 10:00:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

BigGrin Morning Folks
Thanks for the comments Gents appreciated

Playing with the prop shaft
Seems straight forward enough

Glue the tab to the inside to form the shape and supported this with a styrene tube ready to pop on the hull.

Crying Crying Looks completely different from Kaiser Bunkers model and he used real plans.The shafts look supported all the way along and his shaft looks a lot shorter mmmmm
and
Confused Confused Totally different shape and supports of Trumpeters model too, although that is the 1935 design

Think I will try and copy the Trumpeter version as I think it looks better (might not be right tho)

Head hurts will turn the ship up the right way so I can't see it and the problem goes awayLOL

Thanks for lookin'
test prop.jpg
budgie
#45 Posted : 07 April 2020 18:55:07

BigGrin Evening Folks
Progressing with hull
2plank4.jpg
2plank5.jpg
2plank6.jpg
2plank8.jpg
2plank10.jpg
2plank9.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#46 Posted : 07 April 2020 19:39:43

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Love Just lovin seeing this come together, looks sweet too ThumpUp
Gandale
#47 Posted : 07 April 2020 22:52:21

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Just gets better with every post, lovely work.....Cool Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#48 Posted : 11 April 2020 11:30:06

BigGrin Morning Folks
Thanks for posting Gents appreciated

My intention was to cover the hull in a thin kraftpaper but I didn't like the way it wrinkled when I glued it down

So I have decided to use the 1500micro card. Tried measuring the thickness of it with a ruler it is either 1.5mm or 2mm.
My eyes aren't registering with my brain cellLOL LOL

Anyhoo's it is a bit thicker than intended but I won't let on to anyoneCool

Also the more I come across photo's off the real ship the more discrepancies I am finding with the model and have to remind myself that it is what it is.

Thanks for lookin'
3rdplank1.jpg
3rd plank2.jpg
3rdplank4.jpg
3rdplank5.jpg
3rdplank6.jpg
Gandale
#49 Posted : 11 April 2020 22:41:10

Looks like you're making good steady progress there Budgie, looking good...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
budgie
#50 Posted : 14 April 2020 19:49:27

BigGrin Evening Folks

After planking for the 3rd time (in hindsight should have used a thicker 1st planking )decided to get plastered...well grouted.
LOL LOL LOL
Thats all I could find in the shed

Confused Confused Confused
Can I ask if there is anything wrong with using household matt emulsion paint as a primer and will car spray paints stick ok to it a later date.

Just with lock down I am trying to make do with what I can find
Thanks
plastered1.jpg
plastered2.jpg
Plymouth57
#51 Posted : 14 April 2020 22:10:44

Beautiful work Budgie, I'm really enjoying watching this come along!Cool
I think you'll be ok with the emulsion paint and car spray, there's places in the old garage where I test sprayed car spray on a wall painted in white emulsion and that went on perfectly well, just give the emulsion a good fine sanding when its completely dry and you should be fine!

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
budgie
#52 Posted : 15 April 2020 19:41:24

BigGrin Evening Folks

Cool Thanks for your advise Robin much appreciated

Anyhoos I gave the hull a coat of emulsion and the areas that had the white paper still on was ok...but the areas I sanded past this was rough and 'orrible.

Added another coat of paint but not too impressed, beginning to wish I had stuck with wood.

Cursing As the paper bin is getting rather full I went for a walk thinking it was about time I took up knitting instead.

Confused On testing the brown kraftpaper earlier in the build, I had stuck it straight on to the card and found I could peel away the white film of paper on the cardboard.

But now i have a different surface of ....paint mmmmm.Blink

I marked out the area on which to apply the glue with a brush and waited a minute or two before presenting the kraftpaper to the hull.

Drool Thats been an hour and it hasn't fallen off.

Fighting the urge to get my finger nail under it to see how easily it will come offLOL LOL

Thanks for lookin'

kraft1.jpg
kraft2.jpg
budgie
#53 Posted : 16 April 2020 19:03:49

BigGrin Good Evening Folks

Crying Plodding along slowly

Flapper Decided to change direction for a wee change

On reflection painting your model is supposed to highlight any discrepancies to be addressed by light sanding and repainting repeat repeat repeat
Cursing But looked like I needed a bulldozerFlapper Flapper

Cool Cool Anyhoos quite happy with progress I am doing and can see a light at end of tunnel

Flapper Might even do it again...it will make the model about 1mm thicker than intended but have told SWMBO not to let any one in the house with a measuring stick and a clipboard claiming to be from the naval museum

Happy building Folks
budgie
#54 Posted : 16 April 2020 19:07:44

Blushing Blushing oops no pic
plank4.jpg
budgie
#55 Posted : 19 April 2020 14:49:23

BigGrin AfternoonFolks

Still plodding along having to thicken the hull at the gun deck area to match thickness of the main hull

Blushing Getting there sloooowly
plank5b.jpg
plank5a.jpg
plank5.jpg
daffy09
#56 Posted : 19 April 2020 17:05:44

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi, I haven't posted lately but I've been following. I think it's amzing what you've achieved so far and a credit to your skills and perseverance. I hope that the small extra thickness to the hull won't mean too many adjustments elsewhere, but it sure looks much more 'finished' with that last layer of planking. Well done.
Happy building
David
mogwai
#57 Posted : 19 April 2020 17:21:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looking nice,some nice lines to the hull.will be following your progress cheers mick. BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
budgie
#58 Posted : 19 April 2020 17:32:12

Blushing Thank's very much for you'r support David much appreciated

I intend to do one more layer of "planking" to blend in on the lower and gun deck

I have read that there was an armour plate along the upper part of the hull
Whether this should be replicated will depend upon my wanting to hide any glichesLOL LOL

Blink Thanks again for you'r support it makes me want to procede further with MY INTERPRETATION of a card model
budgie
#59 Posted : 19 April 2020 17:36:23

BigGrin Thanks for popping' in Mogwia

Hoping to improve those lines as I am not quite there
Cool But not far offCrying
budgie
#60 Posted : 21 April 2020 13:05:43

BigGrin Afternoon Folks

On these ships there was 6 torpedo tubes... unfortunately only the bow tube is represented on this model

There should be another on the stern and 2 on the port and stbd sides

If want to replicate those I will need to guesstimate at their correct positionsLOL

Had a go at the bow one

Thought the card would be too delicate for here as I plod along heavy handedly
(not too great at bending and shaping the card eitherFlapper )

Had a go at using balsa and once covered with kraftpaper I can add hatch and possible hinge at a later date

Thanks for looking
torp1.jpg
torp2.jpg
torp3.jpg