Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Best figures for painting? Options
BradB
#1 Posted : 03 March 2020 16:44:36

Groups: Registered

Quick question for the pros. Just wondered if I could get a brand recommendation for scale military figures for painting. Any recommendations as to plastic or metal would also be helpful.

thanks

Brad B
darbyvet
#2 Posted : 03 March 2020 17:13:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

BradB wrote:
Quick question for the pros. Just wondered if I could get a brand recommendation for scale military figures for painting. Any recommendations as to plastic or metal would also be helpful.

thanks

Brad B

What scale are you looking at?

Carl

BradB
#3 Posted : 03 March 2020 17:27:31

I'm not sure at this point. Was wanting to do some sort of diorama. Haven't picked out a theme. Was hoping to find a scale and brand that offered the best selection of figures with the highest quality sculpts and casts for painting.

thanks

BB
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 03 March 2020 21:09:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

It will depend on the scale as Carl has said but for instance there are lots of different sets out there in 1/35 scale for armour and boats like the Schnellboot or other fast boats. These figures are injection moulded by most of the kit makers out there and are quite reasonable cost wise for a set of 5 or 6 figures but the detail can sometimes be poor.

Resin cast figures are another way to go far better detail as they are sculpted and then cast from a master mold but for this detail you also will pay more per figure. These resin figures are usually supplied from the after market resin suppliers out there like Black dog or Legend resins to name two.

Search around using google and you will get quite a few appear but you will need to search for say WW2 Commando's or US Marine figures for example.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

BradB
#5 Posted : 03 March 2020 21:12:17

Thank you so much for the advice. Any opinion on metal figures?
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 03 March 2020 23:43:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

If you want larger scale I would check out the verlinden resin figures.They are pricey now the company is out of business, but in my mind they make some of the best miniature busts and figures. I would also check out "scale war machines" youtube channel.They have some good tutorials on figure painting and they review the models they paint.

My own experience with metal figures has been disappointing.Clean up of flash is a pain and they cant give you the fine detail you want on a military figure.For very small scale figures it doesnt matter, but once you get to 1/16 and bigger you want the fine detail that resin can give you.

I think in the next few years as SLA 3d printers get cheaper there will be tons of options to download 3d files and print your own figure.I have printed a babu Frik, baby yoda, superman, Obi Wak Kenobi and lady Sylvanas recently. the level fo detail matches the best resin figures with some printers.

Carl
BradB
#7 Posted : 05 March 2020 13:38:37

Thanks so much for all of the great tips. I found some old unpainted figures that I had stored away. Some metal and some plastic. These were several years old. Even then, the level of detail and crispness was so much better in the "plastic" figures. I can only imagine how much better that they have gotten. I like the substantial weight of the metal figures but I think I can add a little heft the bases of the non-metal figures to make up for it.

BB