Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Just out of Interest Options
Mike Turpin
#1 Posted : 10 April 2010 22:30:58

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the Month
Groups: Registered

I was talking to my 94 year old Mother-in-Law this afternoon and she casn remember going on board Victory when she was a 'young girl'. This would put it in the 1920's soon after she was dry docked. (Victory not Mother-in-Law)

She can't remember much except they were replacing a lot of the timbers and there was little in the way of fixtures or fittings. She does remember that near the exit there were some large baskets with small pieces of wood taken from the ship. Anybody could take what they liked as souvenirs! She took three or four pieces which she kept for years after.

Sometime after her marriage to Father-in-Law they had a big throw out from the attic and must have got rid of the Victory wood. Bearing in mind that Father-in-law was the type who usually kept every old nail/ bit of wood etc in case it could be used one day, I am miffed that the Victory bits were lost!

I could have carved my own gun carriages from Victory Oak!

Nowadays they would be selling off each piece to American tourists for mega-bucks.

I wonder if anybody else has a link back as far as the twenties?

Mike T
Capt Stedders
#2 Posted : 10 April 2010 22:39:45

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Mike Turpin wrote:

Sometime after her marriage to Father-in-Law they had a big throw out from the attic and must have got rid of the Victory wood. Bearing in mind that Father-in-law was the type who usually kept every old nail/ bit of wood etc in case it could be used one day, I am miffed that the Victory bits were lost!
Mike T

Miffed??

Scared

I'd be a heartbeat short of a coronary event!

My deepest sympathies and salutations to your commendable sang-froid. sir.
Schnellboots on back burner

Tools.

Zeptrader
#3 Posted : 10 April 2010 22:45:22

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

I'm still yet to find out more but my great grandfather was in the navy in the early 20's, he actual joined in 1911, he would have boarded a ship for say 6 months then come back to portsmouth for training, he did board the HMS Hood in 1922, then back to portsmouth to train on the HMS Impregnable, which ironic was very similar to the Victory.

I think its a fair guess he would have boarded the Victory around the same time if he was stationed at portsmouth.

Below is the ship he trained on whilst he was in portsmouth
Mike Turpin
#4 Posted : 10 April 2010 23:31:40

Again just out of interest, are you sure Impregnable was at Portsmouth. I thought she was associated with Devonport near Plymouth?

Mike T
Boaz
#5 Posted : 11 April 2010 15:43:55

Hi guys.
I mentioned this in another link but when I was in the mob
I popped on board the Victory a couple of times.
The last time was about 1978 & I was told then that all that remains of the "Trafalgar" Victory was one deck (lower I think), 10 cannons & one anchor.
The anchor, apparently, is the one on a large pedestal on Southsea prom.
At the bottom are the words "Ready, Ay Ready".
Bob
jonny5j
#6 Posted : 11 April 2010 20:24:51

Went on board victory in 1979 - 80 a few times when i was based at hms nelson but being young and stupid did not pay much attention, looks like a trip to my old stomping grounds is coming on
john
HMS VICTORY
HMS SURPRISE
ASTON DB5
MCLAREN MP4-23
mavrickandgoose
#7 Posted : 09 May 2010 12:20:21

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

My dad was drafted to the victory when he first joined the navy and used to show people around. when he got married the captain gave him a limited edition print, with the frame made from oak from the mast. wish i could get a draft on her!!!!
Mike Turpin
#8 Posted : 09 May 2010 12:36:25

Have you still got that print in the family? A picture would be nice!

Mike T
Mike Turpin
#9 Posted : 09 May 2010 12:42:18

Mike Turpin wrote:

Nowadays they would be selling off each piece to American tourists for mega-bucks.

Mike T

Guess what! Whilst googling for HMS Victory Sites, I came across several including Victory Oak

Could have made some money from those bits of wood! (Actually Mother-in-law would have made sure she got the money -- Believe me!!!)

Mike T
mavrickandgoose
#10 Posted : 09 May 2010 12:42:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

i think he has it up in the house, next time i got back to cornwall i will get a photo, its not very big, about a4 size and i think it is a pen and ink drawing.
willz
#11 Posted : 10 May 2010 17:14:46

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Here`s a nice early photo of portsmouth harbour between 1890 and 1900. Not sure if the ship is victory or impregnable. http://xmb.stuffucanuse..../viewthread.php?tid=3390